Anyone know Tremp in/near Pyrenees?

You're not wrong there Mr Ming, as you can see ther's a steel rope most of the way-my daughter and I walked it all the way holding onto that for dear life, now on a bike....

AAWUweUPgurg5mGJmv_OEIFzN2cYCLZKIAp80rBFaoXhLfkQ3….jpg

Walked this a few years ago, in the same gorge further south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking for a picture of the staircase, thanks Becky for posting it, and yes, it's as scary as it looks.

It was constructed for walkers I suspect.

It was constructed for walkers.

Well yes and no.

It was the original route into the river Noguera Ribagorça valley, just built for pack animals back in medieval times but when the dams were built this flooded these had to be replaced by law as they are still officlal rights of way even though they were pretty much obsolete when the reservoir were opened in 1960, hence the high level trail you see today cut his into the cliffs.

In fact there's another one that you see when the water level is low, obviously it was a design fail being impassible when the reservour is full so had to be replaced. I walked that one back in the 1980's when we first bought our cottage a few miles away when it was a pretty hairy path as it was very degraded and I'm not sure it would be passable at all now - but it would be great for avoiding all the f***ing tourists ands mountain bikers! :)

Until this century the trail was pretty much as built and really hairy with no hand rails etc. and the surface crumbling away. But in 1999 the mamagement was taken over an NGO, the Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera, and the whole infrastructure has changed drastically, including the installation of the brodge and the stair case walk on the west bank. That was indeed built specifically for walkers :)

So not by aliens then?

Blimey, the things you read on the internet and then believe.

Thanks for the info Simon. Will be back in the region this summer, hope to go back and walk the gorge further north.

Just found this thread, more out of curiousity than anything else and viewed that mountain bike video, bloody hell.
Is that person riding the pushbike still alive or was he last seen taking a shortcut to the bottom of that gorge ?

Thanks for the info Simon. Will be back in the region this summer, hope to go back and walk the gorge further north.

Not at all. There are lots of amazing walks around here and tons of other stuff to do in the vertigenous line :)

Check out the 'spiral staicase' at about minuets 4.30' :)

... and a shorter musical version for those with ADD

BTW - I've never done this, nor will I ever ...

Just found this thread, more out of curiousity than anything else and viewed that mountain bike video, bloody hell.
Is that person riding the pushbike still alive or was he last seen taking a shortcut to the bottom of that gorge ?

More to the point:
Is there anywhere hiring ebikes near this?

Back
Top Bottom