Charges for items bought in Europe and imported into the UK

Rewop

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just for info, I recently purchased some items from Germany at a cost of £170 including £12 delivery charge. I have received a letter from Royal Mail today advising that there are additional charges of £53.09 to pay before delivery. The charges are £7.53 Customs Duty, £33.56 Import VAT, and £12 clearance fee. The VAT is to be expected as I don't think it was included in the purchase price. In spite of the other costs, overall the items were still marginally cheaper than buying them in the UK but not as big a bargain as first appeared.

Hello Friends. My wife, just before Christmas, sent a gift to her nephew in The Netherlands of a bobble hat and scalf. The parcel and customs label was marked "gift". The total cost was probably a lot less than £20. He received a note from The Netherlands postal service, saying he had to pay Fourteen Euros in order to retrieve the parcel, even though the full postage amount was paid at the UK end (£7.80). So much for Brexit! RobA.

I guess it depends on what you buy but when i bought my Rukka Leathers from Germany even with the VAT and fees i still saved over 800 quid

I believe that there was no import duty as it was classed as H&S wear so zero rated

Given that your pound buys you nearly 10% more in euros since Brexit, you've gained about 17 quid on the purchase cost, but which has been offset by the customs / clearance fees. So, about even stevens, but at least some of the money has gone into the uk economy rather than eu.

Hi All,
Just for info, I recently purchased some items from Germany at a cost of £170 including £12 delivery charge. I have received a letter from Royal Mail today advising that there are additional charges of £53.09 to pay before delivery. The charges are £7.53 Customs Duty, £33.56 Import VAT, and £12 clearance fee. The VAT is to be expected as I don't think it was included in the purchase price. In spite of the other costs, overall the items were still marginally cheaper than buying them in the UK but not as big a bargain as first appeared.

Thank you for putting £53.09 into the UK economy. Charity begins at home.:thumb

Thank you for putting £53.09 into the UK economy. Charity begins at home.:thumb

I would like to say how great it is that we now get to keep the VAT rather than give it to Poland and other of the east European block, but of course we have to keep subsidising them for the equivalent of another 5 years.

Given that your pound buys you nearly 10% more in euros since Brexit, you've gained about 17 quid on the purchase cost, but which has been offset by the customs / clearance fees. So, about even stevens, but at least some of the money has gone into the uk economy rather than eu.
Where do you get 10% more from? In July 2015 it was 1.42€ to the £1, today it is 1.2€ to the £1, that’s a drop of around 20% on what you now get for your GB £1.

I would like to say how great it is that we now get to keep the VAT rather than give it to Poland and other of the east European block, but of course we have to keep subsidising them for the equivalent of another 5 years.

You can now balance that against my employer having to declare several million pounds of brokerage through our Brussels office, necessary if we are to keep trading with EU domiciled (re)insurance business. The Belgian tax rate is higher than that of the UK, so not only do we (a UK company) pay more tax and hence generate less profit, we pay it to the Belgians. If you can work out some (or indeed any) kind of positive for UK plc in this deal, please let us know.

Where do you get 10% more from? In July 2015 it was 1.42€ to the £1, today it is 1.2€ to the £1, that’s a drop of around 20% on what you now get for your GB £1.

Brexit was 31st January 2020, when £=1.10 euro. Today it's £1.20. Ok, so 9.1% to be precise.

You can now balance that against my employer having to declare several million pounds of brokerage through our Brussels office, necessary if we are to keep trading with EU domiciled (re)insurance business. The Belgian tax rate is higher than that of the UK, so not only do we (a UK company) pay more tax and hence generate less profit, we pay it to the Belgians. If you can work out some (or indeed any) kind of positive for UK plc in this deal, please let us know.
Ask Boris; I'm sure he'll have an answer.......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Brexit was 31st January 2020, when £=1.10 euro. Today it's £1.20. Ok, so 9.1% to be precise.
Damage was done long before 31st Jan 2020. Hope you are happy in your dream world, a lot of us aren’t and are still to see a real benefit. I have asked but I’m still waiting.

Damage was done long before 31st Jan 2020. Hope you are happy in your dream world, a lot of us aren’t and are still to see a real benefit. I have asked but I’m still waiting.

Totally unrealistic to be able to make an assessment until 5 years have passed, and 10 years for a fully conclusive assessment. Them is the facts. I'm quite realistic that such a change could either bring benefits or not. Frankly, it's rather immature and dream-like to think that such a momentous economic and political change could and should be assessed within 12 months of enactment.

Totally unrealistic to be able to make an assessment until 5 years have passed, and 10 years for a fully conclusive assessment. Them is the facts. I'm quite realistic that such a change could either bring benefits or not. Frankly, it's rather immature and dream-like to think that such a momentous economic and political change could and should be assessed within 12 months of enactment.

Which is not at all what you said in post #9.

Carry on.

TWAT, it was 1.4 Eu to the pound prior to the stupid vote, since then its not got above 1.17, so we have gained the square root of fuck all on the exchange rate !!!! and NOT the international exchange rate but the rate you actualy get !!!

Which is not at all what you said in post #9.

Carry on.

You think that just because sterling has risen since Brexit that Brexit is a success?

That's just silly.

Back
Top Bottom