Alternator

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi.
Anyone know where I could get my alternator reconditioned please.
Thanks

From what I can gather from my extensive research recently in trying to source parts, and or part numbers. All I can tell you is that I don’t think they are designed to be serviced, as unlike car alternators there are no parts available for them,

I have dismantled and re-assembled the Denso Alternator with some ease, as it is modular in construction so bearings could be replaced, and possibly brushes, but nothing else.

Dismantling the Bosch alternator is challenging due to it’s construction, so any attempt to replace the bearings or brushes would likely lead to the failure or damaging the unit beyond repair.

I doubt many auto electric places would consider taking on the task without parts availability.

So you may be looking at either a new replacement, or a good used unit.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to put me wrong.

Good luck
Ian

How difficult was it to remove the Denso drive pulley ?

Any special tooling needed?

Left or right hand thread ?

How difficult was it to remove the Denso drive pulley ?

Any special tooling needed?

Left or right hand thread ?

I think it depends on what type of pulley is fitted. Mine had a fixed pulley (R1200GS Adv 2012) so the shaft was terminated with a 10mm hex head for a deep 10mm socket, and I used a 22mm crows foot to undo the nut anti-clockwise. Then a pulley extractor and away you go.

Attachments

• 0995EF6F-ADBD-4CD8-A72E-039DE7EA7874.jpg
    0995EF6F-ADBD-4CD8-A72E-039DE7EA7874.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 308
Ian posted a very good list of which alternators were fitted to which version of the GS along with the length of belt and pulley size. My Denso has a split in the case but still works. The Bosch one will fit from an RT and they do appear on eBay but just make sure the output is the same. The ones after 08 do look a lot cleaner but I am not sure if the output is the same

My original ‘08 GSA Denso alternator seized and cracked underneath yet still works but I fitted a good used spare from Nevada USA that had probably never seen rain. If I ever need to re-use the original one it will probably need stripping and checking/cleaning it of corrosion.

Thanks Ian and everyone.
I have sourced one from the states:thumb2

Hi gspod, I am still on the lookout for one, was it via eBay and which model did you go for please?

Hi gspod, I am still on the lookout for one, was it via eBay and which model did you go for please?

It was sourced through eBay by someone who knows more than me about this sort of thing.
I’ll ask him and post up.

Hi
The model was a Denso - like for like.
Came from the states via eBay and looks to be in nice condition.
£200 all in.

I was quoted £720 (ish) for new and £320 for a second hand one sourced in this country - it was the only one I could find.

Back
Top Bottom