Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESA Suspension question

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Denz0 rebuilt by rear ESA shock with no problem at all. It came back looking like new with a custom spring on it to better suit my weight.

Top bloke and a very reasonable price for the refurbishment.

Quote Originally Posted by DevonAl View Post
    I assume you intend to do both shocks?

Al.
    Haven’t even bought a bike yet Devon! At the minute all I’m doing is covering my bases should I buy one and it eventually needs to be fixed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stever1 View Post
    You use it every time the bike is used.the suspension is in operation all the time.
    Good point. Let me clarify, I have ESA on my GSA and never alter it.

The rear shock went on my wife’s 2014 TE at 30K miles - I’ve been told that this is quite usual. DenZo reconditioned it both mechanically and electrically for a very reasonable price. A fast turnaround and a top chap to deal with.
    If you go for an older TC, mine’s coming up to 60K miles and the shock is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn View Post
    Good point. Let me clarify, I have ESA on my GSA and never alter it.
    Hi TG
    I think it’s good practice to change the settings on a regular basis to stop the unit seizing up.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelq View Post
    Hi, new forum member here.

I’m thinking of buying a R1200GS. My budget means I’m in for one that’s 7 or 8 years old with 10-20,000 miles on the clock. Reading the reviews I see that Bennett’s Buyers Guide for the 2013-18 states -
    Be very wary of ESA-equipped bikes as you can’t rebuild the suspension units, which means a costly new unit if their seals or damping has gone
    Can anyone give me advice on this? Has it been a regular issue with older bikes and should it be something I need to budget for when I make my decision? What’s it cost if it needs replacing?

I ride a Multistrada 1200 at the moment and one of the reasons for switching are the eyewatering maintenance costs of running one!
    My 2014 gsa bought new had over £10,000 of warranty work in 30 months and 13,000 miles including 2 failed front and 2 failed esa shocks , that is the reason that the 2018 model I replaced it with was non esa as is my new r1250 gsa triple black.

Newer dynamic esa is better, however, still nowhere near as good as decent aftermarket kit set up for your needs ie Ohlins, Wilbers, Maxton etc

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    My 2014 gsa bought new had over £10,000 of warranty work in 30 months and 13,000 miles including 2 failed front and 2 failed esa shocks , that is the reason that the 2018 model I replaced it with was non esa as is my new r1250 gsa triple black.

Newer dynamic esa is better, however, still nowhere near as good as decent aftermarket kit set up for your needs ie Ohlins, Wilbers, Maxton etc
    And here’s me thinking my old Multistrada was a bit of a money pit!

Quote Originally Posted by nigelq View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies gents.
    So, in a nutshell it looks like if I can remove the shock and send it to someone like Denzo or Firefox (assuming they can fit me in), it’s possible to get it repaired at a price that’s manageable. Now all I have to do is make sure I know someone who’ll be able to take it off!
    Look it up on YouTube very easy as I did and managed to remove and refit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post

Quick question on this if I may?
    Did you go for the standard BMW suspension?
    Reason for asking - I enquired at the bike show and prior to that after a test ride on a 1250 GSA at piddocks.
    Both could not really explain what the standard set up consisted of on a non ESA bike and piddocks said they had never seen one ?
    I’m presuming it must be similar to my old 1150 with a C spanner at the front and a adjustable knob and slotted screw on the rear.
    I have a 1200TC with ESA and apart from when my misses goes out twice a year - never really alter the settings - I do appreciate the newer esa adjusts all the time to road conditions as well as being able to alter the settings.
    Some may say I’m just tight but - if I don’t use it I don’t want it so was looking at specking a basic 1250GSA.
    Just interested as to how you get on with the standard BMW setup if that’d what you have ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESA is obviously adding another level of unreliability.

It's a motor in your shock and all the sensors that are needed to make it work.

ESA is a bit of a fad and a gimmick. A properly set up shock with the right spring and valves is still far better than the toys and tricks of ESA.

In my experience, the ESA shocks that are used last better than those which aren't. As in, if you never change the esa settings, they tend to seize up. So if you have an ESA shock "USE IT OR LOSE IT"

You can absolutely rebuild ESA shocks. T-Tech, Fox racing etc. They can all do it for around £200-£250.

Quote Originally Posted by littleade View Post
    Just goes to show you can't believe everything bike journos write.......
    Bike journos just regurgitate what they're given from the manufacturers.

Infact, most journos just regurgitate press releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiem View Post
    Quick question on this if I may?
    Did you go for the standard BMW suspension?
    Reason for asking - I enquired at the bike show and prior to that after a test ride on a 1250 GSA at piddocks.
    Both could not really explain what the standard set up consisted of on a non ESA bike and piddocks said they had never seen one ?
    I’m presuming it must be similar to my old 1150 with a C spanner at the front and a adjustable knob and slotted screw on the rear.
    I have a 1200TC with ESA and apart from when my misses goes out twice a year - never really alter the settings - I do appreciate the newer esa adjusts all the time to road conditions as well as being able to alter the settings.
    Some may say I’m just tight but - if I don’t use it I don’t want it so was looking at specking a basic 1250GSA.
    Just interested as to how you get on with the standard BMW setup if that’d what you have ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Non esa bikes are special order in UK , dealers make a lower profit margin ?
    The standard non esa is when new as good if not better than esa , as confirmed by bmw technicians who have ridden my basic , however, I do have a pair of Maxton shocks which I ran on my last bike for 12 months that will go onto the new 1250 gsa when the warranty runs out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12