ESA Suspension question

nigelq

Reaction score
Hi, new forum member here.

I’m thinking of buying a R1200GS. My budget means I’m in for one that’s 7 or 8 years old with 10-20,000 miles on the clock. Reading the reviews I see that Bennett’s Buyers Guide for the 2013-18 states -
Be very wary of ESA-equipped bikes as you can’t rebuild the suspension units, which means a costly new unit if their seals or damping has gone
Can anyone give me advice on this? Has it been a regular issue with older bikes and should it be something I need to budget for when I make my decision? What’s it cost if it needs replacing?

I ride a Multistrada 1200 at the moment and one of the reasons for switching are the eyewatering maintenance costs of running one!

There is a suspension thread in the water cooled sub section, have look at that, a guy on here Denzo has refurbished many forum members shocks(including mine) pretty sure he can do the ESA ones as well.

Al.

ESA comes with predetermined settings, which may or may not be ideal for your weight or loads.

I had it on my bike and wasn't overly impressed with it. In the end I replaced it with manual aftermarket shocks. I find these better as I can fully adjust them and once set up don't need much adjustment.

However you can have ESA shocks serviced. Denzo on this forum provides a rebuild service at a good price. I suspect he may be able to rebuild them to your specifications.

Send Denz0 a message and ask him what he can do. You will be pleasantly surprised as he can uprate the internals, fit optimal springs to suit etc.

These so-called non rebuildable ESA units can be rebuilt, I had mine done a few years ago by MCT in Stowmarket, Firefox Racing in Keighley Yorkshire can also rebuild them, as can Denz0 in Croydon so you are spoilt for choice.

BMW will try and sting you £1800 for a new rear unit but you can get them refurbished for a couple hundred quid.

I think from memory MCT did my rear ESA shock around 2015. I could dig out the receipt if I could be bothered searching but its a faff i could do without.

Either way, you have several options, all cheaper than buying a new shock.

This assumes that your ESA shocks are still serviceable and not damaged internally beyond repair from excess wear or neglect, which is why its best to get them overhauled every few years.

Thanks for all of your replies gents.
So, in a nutshell it looks like if I can remove the shock and send it to someone like Denzo or Firefox (assuming they can fit me in), it’s possible to get it repaired at a price that’s manageable. Now all I have to do is make sure I know someone who’ll be able to take it off!

So, in a nutshell it looks like if I can remove the shock and send it to someone like Denzo or Firefox (assuming they can fit me in), it’s possible to get it repaired at a price that’s manageable. Now all I have to do is make sure I know someone who’ll be able to take it off!

The rear ESA shock is very easy to remove if you're at all mechanically minded. It's two bolts and an electrical plug.

Haynes manual is your friend. Many things are more easy to do than you think

Denz0 rebuilt by rear ESA shock with no problem at all. It came back looking like new with a custom spring on it to better suit my weight.

Top bloke and a very reasonable price for the refurbishment.

I assume you intend to do both shocks?

Al.

Haven’t even bought a bike yet Devon! At the minute all I’m doing is covering my bases should I buy one and it eventually needs to be fixed
:D

The rear shock went on my wife’s 2014 TE at 30K miles - I’ve been told that this is quite usual. DenZo reconditioned it both mechanically and electrically for a very reasonable price. A fast turnaround and a top chap to deal with.
If you go for an older TC, mine’s coming up to 60K miles and the shock is fine.

Good point. Let me clarify, I have ESA on my GSA and never alter it.

Hi TG
I think it’s good practice to change the settings on a regular basis to stop the unit seizing up.

Back
Top Bottom