Tyre size question

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know the “which tyre” has been done to death…

This is slightly different.

I know the correct size tyre for the rear of a r80g/s is 4.00 x18, but my question is; will a 4.10 x 18 fit on the rear of a r80g/s? (Or the rear of my gs’ d R80ST.)

Reason being, continental conti escape is available in 4.10 x18, but doesn’t seem to be available in 4.00 x18, and I wondered if the larger tyre would be okay.

Thanks all, and happy new year.

Bubb

I’ve no personal experience but a google search reveals a 4.10 x 18 to be equivalent to a 350 x 18. Another description I found says ‘ equivalent to a 400 x 18 but with a low profile’. Either way would indicate it’s not too wide.

As I understand it, it's 4 inches, and 4.1 would be about 104mm. I've had a chunky 110 rear tyre which was useable but rubbed the swinging arm.

I reckon you'd probably get away with it, but I wouldn't let mine be the final say so.

Tufty

Thanks for the reply. I think the best option for me is to ignore the idea, and stick to a proper sized tyre (4.00, I’m thinking of using metzeler enduro Sahara 3)…. Rather than try something which is not specified for the bike, and may cost me more cash when I have to re-lace it when it’s not right.

I will leave it for someone else to do the experiment.

Thanks to you both (ScooterPaul, and Tufty) for taking the time to reply.

Bubb

Bubb just keep an eye on the shock, I have found that to be the tight spot in the past. You can gain a little (2mm) using a K series rear wheel spacer on a 4 stud wheel, the off-set is minimal.

I'm using 130/80 tires (TKC, Michelin Anakee wild, Mitas 09, ...) and they are usable depending on the rim offset (small rubbing). Sometimes I'm also using 140/80 tires (Michelin desert) but theses ones need some trimming :eek::eek:

I use 1mm shims between the hub and the rim to adjust the offset (similar to what is done in the K motorbikes)

ps: I learned that not all G/S rims have the same offset. Some time ago I bought another rear rim and it had a difference of 5mm (in fact good because I wanted to install 140/80 tyres)
pps: the early rims for the G/S where 2.15inches wide and the last 2.5inches

I'm using 130/80 tires (TKC, Michelin Anakee wild, Mitas 09, ...) and they are usable depending on the rim offset (small rubbing). Sometimes I'm also using 140/80 tires (Michelin desert) but theses ones need some trimming :eek::eek:

I use 1mm shims between the hub and the rim to adjust the offset (similar to what is done in the K motorbikes)

ps: I learned that not all G/S rims have the same offset. Some time ago I bought another rear rim and it had a difference of 5mm (in fact good because I wanted to install 140/80 tyres)
pps: the early rims for the G/S where 2.15inches wide and the last 2.5inches

Maybe of interest to someone,
I have a new old stock 2.5” rim
In lovely condition obviously.
Rocking horse poo

Your choice of shock comes into it too, as as it has already been pointed out.

Enduro 3 Saharas are the best tire I have had on my G/S, Mitas E07s not far behind and the last a good bit longer.
Not always a lot of choice in sizes in Oz, so I use either 4" or 110 which rubs slightly on an Ohlins in certain circumstances when I am riding, but not at rest.
FWIW on the hard pack gravel roads I ride on a 4" on my warm 1000 CC G/S finds more traction than a 130 on a Funduro.
Prefer the feel of stock size tires on all my airheads, but whatever rocks your boat!

On my ST G/S hybrid I run a TKC 80 , 120/90 x 18. Loads of clearance on swingarm and WP shock.

I ran Sahara 3s and liked them both on and off road. However I have TKC70s now and they are much better if you are mainly road riding with the occasional fire track.

Back
Top Bottom