Gael back in Africa.

Jumping off the end if that pier is a scary thought, Jock, and still no obvious ladders, as I sit here waiting for sunset.

Never gets 4 points on the 4th, now who could that be? I wonder if he hits trees on the 15th, perhaps.20220123_192925.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Got up a bit earlier this morning, as it was going to be warm and I was going to a hot place. The journey was a round trip of 260km north and no filling station at the destination. There was one along the way but I decided to avoid a fill-up and use the spare capacity on board as a test. The hot place was a salt pan, running along the coast. The road wasn't tar but supposedly good quality dirt. In fact about 60% of the road had been tarred and the other part was a mixture of sand and salt compacted, and quite smooth.

In fact I woke up quite tired and a bit full from last night's meal, but still went down for breakfast. I was even more lethargic after breakfast and loaded the bike in slow motion. However, once on the bike and particularly when on the open road, I felt full of energy, strange that! The surroundings were unique to me, like riding through a desert but a more moist feel to the air. A flat terrajn each side of the road and later some low hills. This road also has the least inviting picnic stops I've seen.20220123_095359.jpg20220123_095354.jpg20220123_111404.jpg20220123_144015.jpg

However the destination was worth the hot and salty ride. I was visiting a seal colony and a massive one at that. They were everywhere and when parking the bike I wondered what damage a seal could do to a Yamaha. The cutest things were the pups, jet black, running up and down the beach. Adults were using rocks to lie on or to scratch against. I'd been warned they were smelly, which the were, but having been brought up on a farm, they were not too bad. I passed on the purses etc., made out of sealskin but couldn't resist a seal tooth keyring(don't tell my granddaughter).20220123_120915.jpg20220123_120855.jpg20220123_120311.jpg20220123_120038.jpg20220123_115704.jpg

On the way up to Cape Cross I'd spotted a wreck that may be worth a look on the way back. I pulled over and was immediately surrounded by hawkers, so didn't hang about. Along the roadside there were unattended stalls of mineral crystals, with honesty boxes and prices. I stopped at a few, expecting someone to appear with a hard sell, however they really were unattended. I resisted the temptation to take on of those large pink crystals, so early in the trip.20220123_140959.jpg20220123_131448.jpg20220123_130445.jpg

At the side of the road, there what looked like dried pools of salty water, leaving behind salt crystals. It looked solid but stepping on it, the consistency was more like slush than ice.20220123_132632.jpg

So how did my fuel plan work out? Well the fuel light came on, with over 50km to go, so was pleased I carried extra. I put in one litre from the fuel bottle and that got me to the service station, with the fuel light on again. In total I'd used about 9 litres for around 260km. So fuel will need to be monitored on this bike and I'm glad I brought 4 litre additional capacity which may need to be increased in the future.

Lastly, the sunset I'd earlier mentioned, I'd been waiting for. I could apologise for another sunset, but this may be my last day at the coast. This one is a bit good though, so no apologies. The sky in afterglow is pretty good too.20220123_195011.jpg20220123_202645.jpg

Years ago in Swakopmund I wandered out along the pier, was far too hot and jumped off the end into the sea, not realising just how cold it was going to be, it seemed a long swim back to the shore as there weren't any ladders on the pier.
Enjoy your travels

Hats off to you. I jumped into the sea at Luderitz, south of Walvis. Holy cow, it was unbelievably cold. It only makes sense when you realise that the south Atlantic current comes up from the Antarctic.

Anyway, only did it once!

Building up nicely . Excellent "remote working" buying that bike

Thanks, keep the chat going guys.

Today was the longest ride so far, 430kms. I was heading back to Windhoek but decided to explore a nature reserve in Walvis Bay first. So I had the chance to ride that great road again this time in bright sunshine and good visibility. Seems it was time to take down the Christmas decorations in Walvis. I failed to find the entrance to the nature reserve but just rode in to where I could see some flamingos. They were a little disturbed by me so didn't stay long, but got this one shot, showing them walking in a line, with a dune in the background. PH000003.jpgPH000006.jpgP1020238.jpg

So then it was back to Swakop, a fill up and off to Windhoek. The ride out of Swakop is a gradual climb, from the cooling sea breezes to the heat of the semi desert. It was hot, certainly above blood temperature. I closed up my jacket to reduce the hot airflow around me, which seemed to help. I stopped at a layby for a breather and some water. I have a Camelback bladder in my tankbag but, it's good to have a drink out of a bottle, and eat a rusk.

I meant to mention that at the Puma station in Swakop, the attendant produced this red cloth with some ceremony. He laid it over the tank and poured through the hole. I was impressed!20220124_121751.jpg20220124_105237.jpg

As I got up to around a thousand meters the heat eased a little and we continued to climb to 1,200 meters. I remember this climb was torturous on the 125 and most have been hard for Simon, having to wait for me. However that day we left Swakop in drizzle, with waterproofs on, as much for the warmth as for the drizzle, as it was quite cold, and that was also in January. Swakop has its own climate influenced by the Benguela Current, which runs from the Antarctica up the west coast of Southern Africa. In this case the wind was from the desert, and I didn't need waterproofs.

I filled up in Karibib, about half way. I'd stopped at the Shell garage, on the way down, where I met the German biker. It is wonderfully air conditioned. They have one picnic table, which may be for sale, but if you put your stuff on it and ask for a chair, they roll a desk chair out from behind the counter. Sometimes it's helpful to have grey locks. So I could sit, drinking a cold drink, eating my croissant from breakfast, looking out on the bike.20220124_135809.jpg

Further on, I had to stop at this sign. What a great name for a road. It was opened in 1998 linking Walvis Bay, through Windhoek into Botswana and on to Pretoria. Anyway it makes me feel important riding on it.20220124_141831.jpg

So how did the bike do, well fine. I thought the climb up from Swakop would have dented fuel consumption, but if so, it was only marginal. It pulls well and much more enjoyable on long runs than the 125. It reminds me a bit of my G650x, Cross Country. The seat however is not its strong point and near the end I was looking forward to parking it in Windhoek.

"it's good to have a drink out of a bottle, and eat a rusk."

Farleys Rusk....?..

"it's good to have a drink out of a bottle, and eat a rusk."

Farleys Rusk....?..

That brings back memories . But AFAIK Jim still has bien Gnashers so don’t think he’ll have been reduced to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom