ZZR1400 Touring?

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a hankering for another ZZR1400, but need to be able to take the mrs and a load of luggage. The obvious solution is to get a GTR 1400, but I just don't like them. Has anyone gone long distance two up with luggage on a ZZR? If so, what mods did you make to make it more comfortable etc. I will be interested in your thoughts. Ta

I haven't but for several years, a friend and his wife toured all over Europe on a ZZR1400 with 3 piece luggage set. On the trip they joined me, we were in the Austrian Tyrol. Both were fairly slender with C 6'4" and his wife on pillion is 5'11. Apart from the luggage (no idea of brand), a satnav and intercom, I don't think C modified the bike.
When he decided to change bikes not so long ago so he bought one of the last FJR1300s as he did not want the cost of the H2 SX, plus I think as they were now a lot older (over 70) the ergonomics worked better for them.

I have a hankering for another ZZR1400, but need to be able to take the mrs and a load of luggage. The obvious solution is to get a GTR 1400, but I just don't like them. Has anyone gone long distance two up with luggage on a ZZR? If so, what mods did you make to make it more comfortable etc. I will be interested in your thoughts. Ta

Not been on the 1400 but me and the mrs have been all over Europe on my zzr1100; 96;000 miles worth near enough; plus the TT for a fortnight every year from 2004. All we used was thro over panniers ; a tank bag and a large roll bag for the tent and the camping gear; mine had Ohlin rear shock and K tek forks; all i can say it's been a great reliable bike; and two up work and distance is what it lived for. I've still got it but i have also now got an SX 1000 which the mrs says is just as comfortable.

We have toured 2-up on Hayabusas & a Big Z, using a Baglux tank bag & Ortleib roll bag on a sports rack. Around 12 European tours IIRC, usually kept to around 3k miles each due to tyre wear considerations.

No mods needed, standard screens & seats - it's all about travelling light, managing every detail of the packing & what riding gear you wear meticulously.

2007 saw me riding a Black ZZR1400 it was awesome, however it was uncomfortable for my back so I swapped for the first of 4 GTR 1400 s that were brilliant

have done a few european tours on my zzr14 , its a 2014 gen2 , have to admit most of it has been one up though, i started to suffer with the riding position, so i fitted buell footrests to lower the leg bend (another option is knights design footpegs from the usa) and a top yoke conversion , hurricane kit from webike japan, the diffrence to comfort is night and day, its not adventure bike comfort but its good for an easy 250=350 miles a day, or around 5-7 hours riding in the day, for me anyway,,,,

Attachments

• DSCN3370.jpg
    DSCN3370.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCN3369.jpg
    DSCN3369.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 443
have done a few european tours on my zzr14 , its a 2014 gen2 , have to admit most of it has been one up though, i started to suffer with the riding position, so i fitted buell footrests to lower the leg bend (another option is knights design footpegs from the usa) and a top yoke conversion , hurricane kit from webike japan, the diffrence to comfort is night and day, its not adventure bike comfort but its good for an easy 250=350 miles a day, or around 5-7 hours riding in the day, for me anyway,,,,

Good move with the flat bars and the footpeg lowering;; it did cross my mind when the stretch to the bars got too much; alas the Sx has slipped in nicely.:beerjug:

Good move with the flat bars and the footpeg lowering;; it did cross my mind when the stretch to the bars got too much; alas the Sx has slipped in nicely.:beerjug:

a friend of mine (the one with the tiger 1050 in the pic) bought a 1000sx early last year, i rode it for an afternoon when we were in scotland, great bike, and i did consider one, although the pegs as standard are higher and more set back than the zzr is with the lowered pegs, of course that would change if i fitted the buell pegs to the sx,
the sx felt very sporty and handled great , i still might have one at some stage :beerjug::beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom