USB-C

DC

Reaction score
Guys , I have a Mac air book, it has two USB-c ports. However, when I use the adapter ( USB to USB C ) and then connect the Nav6 , the nav is not recognised . Anybody had this issue? The nav charges on it but I can’t update the software. Garmin express is loaded.

On the Mac book pro, I could plug nav via the lead straight into the USB and it’s recognised.

Anybody had this issue and got round it please ?

Which adapter are you using?

Do you have any other programs that connect to the nav 6 (or android devices) already running on that computer when you connect the unit?

I use an apple adaptor that has 3 ports on it, no issues for me and I have a MacBook Air

Same issue for myself with the new MacBook Air, cable works on another pc fine but won’t work on the MacBook

I use an apple adaptor that has 3 ports on it, no issues for me and I have a MacBook Air

I have this one , plugs into the Mac air , nav charges on it but can’t be found by Garmin express or the Mac air itself

Which adapter are you using?

Do you have any other programs that connect to the nav 6 (or android devices) already running on that computer when you connect the unit?

Nah, nothing it’s a fairly new Mac air, so nothing is conflicting with the nav .

No issues for me
You are actually turning the Nav on?

Yep. Turned on and it stays on when connected to the air, also tried it turned off to see if when connected it would fire up, but it didn’t

I have this one , plugs into the Mac air , nav charges on it but can’t be found by Garmin express or the Mac air itself

Ah, the Nav gets powered immediately, but quite often I have to wait a few minutes for the Mac to see the Nav as a drive. I normally plug in and then browse the net for a bit, then suddenly garmin express or the Nav gets seen in the finder, it is not immediate.

Can you not get a USB-C cable for the Garmin? What kind of socket is on the device?

I try and avoid adapters as much as possible.

Duff adapter or cable.

My thoughts too. Don't know. I have no problem with my Garmin XT going into a MacBook Pro through an adapter. But as has been suggested, I'd seek out a USB C to UBS Mini. God knows why Garmin stuck to the Mini. Not all necessarily relevant to a satnav unit, but USB C is conveniently reversible and has a much more compact shape compared to previous cable types. A USB C cable not only deals with data and power, but also video and supports multiple protocols.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duttek-Deg...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Could it be that you haven't got the settings checkbox set correctly on the MacBook so that it shows external drives?

I'm on my second MacBook Air now and even with the old one, which had a usb connector, it still took a few minutes after connecting my Nav V or VI for it to recognise the device drive. But it always did eventually.

I’d say it’s a cheap adaptor that causing you grief. Buy apple certified (not necessarily apple branded) peripherals and it’ll be fine.

I’d say it’s a cheap adaptor that causing you grief. Buy apple certified (not necessarily apple branded) peripherals and it’ll be fine.

My adaptor came from Apple and my cable is the Garmin one. But as I said it does eventually recognise the device

thanks guys

I use a proper apple adapter and a Garmin cable that came with the device , the air doesn't recognise the nav and Garmin express won't either . will seek out a Garmin cable with USB C to mini. I think that might be the way forward

the Mac air has two USB c sockets the Garmin has mini

I have been using the USB C to USB adaptor from Apple. I have also tried a USB C cable with triple USB sockets on Again Apple. but they won't show the nav on the Air book, settings on the air book are set to find any external drives. It finds my Fitbit Watch when connected for example through the adapter.

So going to source a Garmin lead mini to USB C and try that

God knows why Garmin stuck to the Mini. [/url]

If you are looking for a genuine anwser, it is probably because usb U is massively more expensive to implement than mini, and probably requires a complete redesign of the unit internals.
In order to be USB C and use it then the device has to be able accept any usb c device being pluged in, the differences are that mini standard is 1.5 amp and 5 volt, the C standard is up to 5 amp and up to 20 v (100watt), if you plug that in and the internals are not designed to acept it then the device goes "poof" and up in smoke, despite it being a right royal PIA by sticking to the mini connecter it ensures that the cable and power delivery is all at that lower rate, meaning that they can resuse the power data side of the design and save on development costs (just a guess)
the USB connector is more expensive, it is way more complicated to wire USB C is a standard and NOT just a connector if you fit the connector then you are agreeing to meet the standard which means a certain data rate, being able to connect up everything else that uses the same cable and have it work.

Garmin could do it, they just cant be arsed, given that its on the cheapest of mobiles now, that and the fact that Mini has been an obsolete standard since 2012 they really should have done the work and moved on

Yes had the same problem - it was related to an iOS update that restricted the usb applications somehow.

Back
Top Bottom