Old Harleys

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Came across this from a member of another (HD based) forum....made me smile..

" Starting my vintage Harley has it's bad days like this as I found out!!
But it does have an ending...����
Walk to the bike, fingers crossed, say a prayer....
Ensure all the normal leaks are present.
Look for tranny seal oil spot on the ground to ensure it has oil.
Turn on the choke.
Kick the bike over a few times with the switch off to get it primed.
Spin it through until you get compression.
Turn the ignition switch on.
Kick until you have to wipe the snot from your face.
Take a break to catch your breath, count the number of people who gathered around, try to look like this is standard procedure.
kick...kick...kick...
Realise you are now in middle of the street, roll the bike back onto driveway.
Try to act as if you don't notice the crowd giggling
Think, must be flooded.
Turn off the choke.
Hold the throttle wide open.
Kick...kick...kick...
Wipe the tear/snot/sweat/nose bleed combo from your face.
Swear.
Kick some more.
Ignore the old man who says......you know, back in the day.......
Swear.
Don't even wipe, just swallow the combo.
Check the points.
Turn on the choke.
Hold the throttle WFO, kick until the neighbour's wife says.......you don't look so good.
Wipe/swallow/swear
Check the plugs.
Turn off the choke.
Notice you never turned the fuel on!
Swear.
Turn fuel on.
Turn choke on.
Prime engine.
Then threaten Her....
KICK !!
Pick yourself up from the ground in front of motorcycle.
Put out the fire in the air filter.
Remember to retard the timing this time around
Turn on the ignition.
Kick.
Engine starts.......dies.
swallow.
Kick.....success
Check fuel level, realise there is only about a quarter of a tank left, meaning you will have to go through all this again in about 10 minutes.
Straddle bike, look both ways for traffic, realise you are in the middle of the street again.
Ride away thinking........ screw those electric start pansies......I'm the real deal!! "

:). Very good.... Been there on an old BSA that was just vindictive some mornings.

:). Very good.... Been there on an old BSA that was just vindictive some mornings.

Ha ha! I never used to mind too much as long as there were no spectators and you weren't in a hurry! I had a 1972 Honda CL125a that would always start from cold but hardly ever without 10 minutes of frantic kicking from hot.

Ha ha! I never used to mind too much as long as there were no spectators and you weren't in a hurry! I had a 1972 Honda CL125a that would always start from cold but hardly ever without 10 minutes of frantic kicking from hot.

Same thing happened to a poor chap who was out trail riding with us last week on a KTM 250 two stroke. Every time he fell off he had the ignominy of needing multiple attempts to get the thing running again. He fell off lots, so was sweating profusely for most of the ride. I reckon he’d had a very good workout by the end of the day :D

There is a direct correlation on how many people are watching to how many kicks it takes!

I remember as a 17 yr old with a new Suzuki GS125ES, watching a Girl perform a very similar Ritual on her BSA Street Scrambler outside our local Bike Shop....Respect!!!!

Back
Top Bottom