Have I cracked something?

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Neighbour knocked in. Bike on its side. Somehow it came off the side stand rolled forward and hit the deck. Bit of petrol on floor but it was full. Troublingly there is gearbox oil on the ground too. I would say over an egg cup full. Managed to have an inspection and there is gearbox oil all over the starter motor. I've cleaned the exhaust under it and I'm hoping to not see any drips on it in the morning. My inspection is limited to what I can see with everything installed.

I know there should be no gearbox oil anywhere around there. I know it's gearbox of because of it's smell.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Do I have to remove the throttle body etc to gain access to the plastic cover that covers the starter motor? Could something have cracked and if so what?

R1200 GS 2007.

:green gri

If anyone has any links on how to gain access to that area so I can take a look for anything obvious i'd really appreciate it.

38 views and not one comment.

I'll be happy with a link to how to remove the starter motor on my bike. THe oil is coming from that area. No oil anywhere else so must be in there.

Edit, got the info on the starter motor. going back down to the siberian garage.

Calling Dr Farkoff to the telephone please.

Texted him already. It's late and at this point i'm sure he is sick of my texts :D

Also I have a haynes but fuck me the photos must have been taken on a phone from 2002

The gearbox has a breather on top, if it went over far enough it could leak oil from the breather.

There is a gearbox breather on top of the gearbox

Whatsapp me in the morning and I will take a photo for you

I'd probably take the top plugs out and spin it over to see what comes out

It may not be firing if it got some oil into the induction from the bottom of the airbox

Note Always leave it in First gear and handlebars turned to the left

That way the 1st gear is like a handbrake and the bars turned to left twists the bike into the sidestand rather than with the bars to the right allowing it to ride up and over the pivot of the sidestand and it collapsing!

There is a gearbox breather on top of the gearbox

Whatsapp me in the morning and I will take a photo for you

I may not be firing if it got some oil into the induction from the bottom of the airbox

That way the 1st gear is like a handbrake and the bars turned to left twists the bike into the sidestand rather than with the bars to the right allowing it to ride up and over the pivot of the sidestand and it collapsing!

Bike running fine. Quite smokey. Got starter cover off. Cleaned off all oil, will whazap you in AM. Been doing some reading and sounds like the gearbox could leak if the bike is more upside down than right side up if you know what i mean.

There is the question of why the bike was on it's side. A question i cannot answer but more scuffs to add to the current ones. I really hope the kids were not messing with it again.

If the gearbox oil leaked through the breather, is there anything I need to do other than top up the gearbox oil? Do I need to burp the breather or something like that?

On the positive, i've learned something new and in fairness my bike has been on its side more than I'd like but only for a few seconds and then i've picked it up. It could have been on it's side for a couple of hours. I've no way of knowing. I also had flash backs to my bumblebee 1150 GSA that got rammed by a car when parked and was never the same again.

God knows what sort of mess is under the tank etc now. I'll google it now and find out where that breather lives and hopefully text you in the morning doc with nothing but a greeting.

d610b6efbed9941063aace8f89b7b2c5.jpg

Ok now I can sleep well. Thanks lads.

Doc, I'll send you a cheesy joke in the morning. No need to be taking photos. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

r1200gs-gs-adv-r1200r-transmission-w-7k-miles-up-to-1-08-6.gif

Ok now I can sleep well. Thanks lads.

Doc, I'll send you a cheesy joke in the morning. No need to be taking photos. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

You didn't have to take the gearbox out Owen just to show us :eek:

Hope everything is OK :thumb

When left on the side stand make sur bike is NOT facing down hill, it can slowley roll over compression and bang. (don't ask how I know!).

When left on the side stand make sur bike is NOT facing down hill, it can slowley roll over compression and bang. (don't ask how I know!).

Thanks Dave. Bike on the flat. Parked there couple of thousand times so far without issue. And yes good advice!!

May I draw the honorable young fellers attention to this ......

IN first gear ???? Must be one helluva Hill :wow

Thanks Dave. Bike on the flat. Parked there couple of thousand times so far without issue. And yes good advice!!

Which way with the bars though?

I have watched a 1200LT slowly go over the sidestand pivot point when hit by a gale force gust

The above is where I learned that very hard lesson!!!

In gear Bars to the Left

In First and use clutch as a rear brake lever when pushing them about :thumb

T

I'll interject with a question.

A few years ago I had a small accident. Left the bike on its side for about 45/50 minutes while dealing with the police, then picked it up ad rode it away.
My mechanic told me not to leave the bike stranded on its side for long periods, especially if the engine is hot, as on older/worn bikes enough oil can seep into the lower cylinder's chamber and in extreme cases hydrolock the engine.

Is that a thing?

On my old 1150 I had the usual oil puff at startup when I parked it on the sidestand in the eve. But can that much oil get through if the bike is on its side for longer periods of time? Or does it come from other places/not through the rings? Or was he pulling my leg? :)

Back
Top Bottom