Is my 660 on its way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Zumo 660 has developed an intermittent problem in that it sometimes does not respond to the touch screen or it does something odd.

E.G. touch the Where To icon and nothing happens, touch the Map icon and nothing happens or it takes me to the volume control page - eh!!??

So, is this a sign of a more deep rooted problem and an indication that it might be about to fail? Has anybody else had this problem?

its now unsupported by garmin,so if it goes wrong ya goosed,there was a thing if you switch it off,then put your thumb over the right lower of the screen then switch on leaving your thumb in place it would reboot ,also in the settings in a setting to put your finger on a series of spots to make it recognize where the finger is.

try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8VPJkZsA8

The 660 (a really good device *) is getting on a bit.

It is entirely possible that the touch screen (or something akin to it) is on its last legs. You can get them refurbished / the screen replaced but whether that is a great use of money is up to you.

Try a hard reset but if the screen itself is nearing the end of its useful life, it maybe won’t make a huge difference. What you don’t want to do is find yourself miles from home with a useless lump of plastic in your hands.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/425199-Repair-agents

* I only lobbed that in to wind up er-minio :D

you could also try a recalibration of the screen look to google for instructions.

Good idea and free to try.

To calibrate the touchscreen on a nuvi 600 series:

Power the unit On.

From the Where to? / View map screen, touch Settings (wrench icon).

Touch Display.

Touch Recalibrate.

A new screen will display that says Press Dot.

Touch the center of the dot.

Keep touching the center of the dot as it moves around the screen.

When Calibration Complete appears on the screen, please touch OK.

The touchscreen will now be recalibrated.

If your touchscreen is not responding to any touch and preventing you from recalibrating the touchscreen using the instructions above, please follow the steps below:

Connect your nuvi to your computer with a compatible USB cable.

Open the Garmin Nuvi drive located in MyComputer/Computer. (Note: Mac users can locate the Garmin Nuvi drive icon on the Desktop.)

Open the Garmin folder.

Locate and delete the GUPDATE.GCD file.

Safely disconnect your nuvi from your computer.

Power the nuvi Off.

Power the nuvi on by holding the power button.

Continue holding the power button down for 1-2 minutes until the screen calibration option displays.

Touch the center of the dot as it moves around the screen.

When Calibration Complete appears on the screen, please touch OK.

The touchscreen will now be recalibrated and should respond properly.

* I only lobbed that in to wind up er-minio :D

I saw 660 in the thread title and immediately ran here, frothing at the mouth. :D

I would try a full reset and screen recalibration as suggested. Then, whatever the result is, throw it in the garbage and buy a newer device. Cheap and cheerful upgrade from the 660 could be the 396.

Thank you gentlemen all. I will try the factory reset and see what happens.

If I have to replace it I might go for one of the BMW badged satnavs in the anticipation that I will upgrade to a 1250GSA this year.

Which is better? The NAv 5 or 6, I have read that the 6 has had a number of issues.

The Nav V is very good.

The Nav VI version I has / had some problems. These were reportedly solved in version II, the so called ‘Make life a ride’ iteration. That may well be true, except I had a brand new (fresh out of its BMW box, version II which suddenly developed demonic possession. It has gone back to BMW and I await news from them. It was odd as it behaved just fine for days on end but then suddenly went haywire. It might of course be my 850 that is causing it, we shall see. I would normally have slotted in my Nav V to see if the problem manifested itself there too. But I didn’t have it with me. I simply took the new Nav VI back to BMW, Park Lane.

A Navigator VI version I that I owned, which you might have expected to go wrong, never did. I sold it on this forum with a clear conscience, simply as BMW gave me a version II as a free gift when I bought my 850.

Make what you will of that lot.

PS If you don’t value the whirlywheely thing, the XT is very good, arguably better than the Navigator V or VI. Similarly, the BMW Connected app, if you want to go down the phone / TFT screen route is pretty good, at least in my experience. That is something for me to admit, not least as I like my GPS devices. The advantage of going down the Connected app / phone route is maybe that, with the BMW conversion cradle, the whirlywheel comes back into play. But, I think, the app probably works best with the larger TFT screen. It really is just:

A. A matter of choice.

B. A matter of cost.

C. A matter as to how much and for what purpose you intend to use any navigation aid. Not least, how much creation you want to do of your own bespoke routes, as opposed to having an algorithm work them out for you. Lots of people on this site (and in life in general) are more than happy with the latter, of course. No shame in that.

The Nav V is very good.

The Nav VI version I has / had some problems. These were reportedly solved in version II, the so called ‘Make life a ride’ iteration. That may well be true, except I had a brand new (fresh out of its BMW box, version II which suddenly developed demonic possession. It has gone back to BMW and I await news from them. It was odd as it behaved just fine for days on end but then suddenly went haywire. It might of course be my 850 that is causing it, we shall see. I would normally have slotted in my Nav V to see if the problem manifested itself there too. But I didn’t have it with me. I simply took the new Nav VI back to BMW, Park Lane.

A Navigator VI version I that I owned, which you might have expected to go wrong, never did. I sold it on this forum with a clear conscience, simply as BMW gave me a version II as a free gift when I bought my 850.

Make what you will of that lot.

PS If you don’t value the whirlywheely thing, the XT is very good, arguably better than the Navigator V or VI. Similarly, the BMW Connected app, if you want to go down the phone / TFT screen route is pretty good, at least in my experience. That is something for me to admit, not least as I like my GPS devices. The advantage of going down the Connected app / phone route is maybe that, with the BMW conversion cradle, the whirlywheel comes back into play. But, I think, the app probably works best with the larger TFT screen. It really is just:

A. A matter of choice.

B. A matter of cost.

C. A matter as to how much and for what purpose you intend to use any navigation aid. Not least, how much creation you want to do of your own bespoke routes, as opposed to having an algorithm work them out for you. Lots of people on this site (and in life in general) are more than happy with the latter, of course. No shame in that.

Thanks Richard; I am of the ilk that prefers to create my own routes using research, maps and other peoples advice from past experience. I've never had a bike with the whirlywheely thingy so I don't know if I will be missing something special. I would prefer to have a satnav than go the connected app.phone route. Also, I use the 660 in my cars and on my other bikes so one satnav has multiple functions.

Better screen/readability. It is definitely an improvement over the older Zumos.
The only downside is, if you ride a lot in the rain, it might cause some issues (capacitative screens sense water drops).

Plenty of threads in the section about pros and cons.

if you go for a nav 6 just be sure to get the newer updated version, it has a different bmw part number, as i believe its free of faults inherrent in the original version, hope so anyway as thats what i went for after the maps could no longer be updated on the 660. Had my 660 for 12 years btw without any issues.

You can have the skip waypoint button on screen on the XT.
There are less customisable data fields on the map view. Yes.
It will also ask you when you skip a waypoint (you can set it to).

I'm in Tenerife at the moment and I managed to recalibrate the screen and it now responds as expected however after acquiring the satellites and showing it ready to navigate, all it shows is a white screen with the bike icon in the middle. There is no mapping; I am hoping that this is a problem isolated to Tenerife and it will be fine when I return to Blighty. If not, then I guess it is fubar.

I don’t think Tenerife is included with the western europe mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom