Considering a change

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Hoping for a little insight from those who own a WC RT and those who've swapped from a GS to an RT.

I'm thinking about changing from my TC GSA to a WC RT - had a test ride on a 2018 plate last week and looking at another this week. Not having pots of spare cash I would need to keep the bike for a couple of years to pay off any finance/load etc covering the purchase.

My questions; how do you find them on UK b-roads or any rough roads for that matter? Is there anything you miss from the GS? Do you regret the change?

What struck me on the test ride last week was just how planted the 2018 RT felt, it did take a little more input that the GSA but I didn't see that as a negative, the riding position felt a bit more 'on' than 'in' the bike, it was incredible on motorways and good a-roads, a little bumpy on the b-roads and needed to stiffen up the suspension to stop it wandering a bit.

While most of my riding is a-roads, dual carriageways, and motorways, I do like turning off down a b-road to see what's down there and having recently moved to Wiltshire I love riding/exploring the (new to me) countryside.

Any input would be gratefully received.

Ta :thumby:

I'm in just that position, I have a '17 RT but did keep my '07 GS.

I do all the routes on the RT that I did on the GS, which include many a back lane and gnarly B road. It copes just fine, in fact with the ESA to play with, putting it to "soft" on the bumpy, slower roads keeps it nice and comfy.

Obviously it isn't up for serious off-road routes, but then again I rarely take the GS off-road, and then only on hard surfaces (cast wheels and Tourance tyres!).

I regularly ride ride the Welsh mountain passes, such as Rhayader to Aberystwyth, Llynne Brianne, Lake Vyrnwy to Bala or Dinas Mawddwy, single-track roads, potholed and gravelly, many a tight bend, with no problems whatsoever.

RT's of any vintage are great bikes, being behind that big fairing with the screen raised on a rainy day is a good place to be, or lower it for the windblast on a sunny day.

Its only modern marketing ploys by bike manufacturers that convinces us we need a different bike for every different type of road, speed, weather etc, back in the day we'd just get on our old Brit banger, UJM, posh BMW, Italian superbike or smoky 2 stroke or whatever was in the shed and go out and ride wherever the mood took us.

I'm sure you'll love an RT, I do:beerjug:

(ps, still love the old GS as well!)

They're both exceptionally good bikes. One tester said that he would have the GS if he rode mostly solo and an RT if he rode mostly with a pillion. The GS has to ride better with the extra suspension travel, it's lighter to manhandle and the wide bars make the steering lighter. The RT advantages have been stated already.
I much prefer the looks of the RT and the GS is too tall for me. If there was no RT, I could easily get used to a lowered GS or an R

I did that, and had the 1200 and 1250 RT.

The 1250 was brilliant, the 1200 very good. I did long journey commutes for a couple of years and they’re brilliant - comfy, dry and fun. I did Oxford to central Scotland and back several times - usually on A roads to improve the fun.

I found it a great handling, comfortable tool for all but gravel roads. I did many thousands of miles in all weathers, and barely had to turn up the heat on my warm n safe jacket. But at 6’3” I did have to make some tweaks to get it comfy. I only sold the 1250 because my new employer doesn’t allow motorcycles for business use.

Would I have an RT again? You bet. Would I have a WC GS again? No I would not.

How did you guy's find filtering on the RT with panniers on? I filter daily on the TC GSA with Vario panniers on and find it very easy, do the extra few inches really make a difference given their position? The mirrors appeared to lower than most wing mirrors on cars and the panniers lower still so I'm assuming not too much of an issue?

I've knocked a fair few wing mirrors on 4x4's and vans over the years filtering on the GSA, almost always getting in and out of Uxbridge in rush hour, and the mirrors and hand guards are about as wide as the WC RT.

Filtering? No problem, if the mirrors fit then the rest of it does.

Another good thing about RTs is they just work straight out of the box, don’t need any extra bits fitted!

Filtering? No problem, if the mirrors fit then the rest of it does.

Another good thing about RTs is they just work straight out of the box, don’t need any extra bits fitted!

I agree. I spent a few quid getting my 1250Gsa comfy. No problems with the RT. I have yet to do any decent touring on it with my G/f

I found the RT not as comfortable due to being lower, the seat position to pegs position had my knees aching a bit and also my lower back , this was only on 100 plus mile journeys though. I’m 6 ft. The GS setting to pegs position was taller so seemed to fit me better. Like you I don’t ride off road, mainly A’s few B’s. Really liked the RT though ,superb to go in Europe on

Very true, I wouldn't need to spend an extra penny.

I did also test ride a LC GSA, same year, as near as makes no difference same mileage, more expensive and I would also need to fork out for panniers etc from the get-go to suit my needs.
Having had 12 GS/GSA's over the years I do quite fancy a change hence why I'm drawn to an RT. I did feel like I was perched on the RT a bit rather than in the GSA but I've had so many of the bloody things anything else is going to feel a little weird at first.

Decisions, decisions....

I went from years and years on GS's to a 2019 RT as it was an itch I wanted to scratch.

Its been covered above but in short the RT has more room two up, amazing weather protection, handles differently but still very well compared to the GS and is a bit cramped in the leg room dept (33inch inseam). Is a brilliant bike on Motorways and A roads...

But

My 2019 with the auto suspension was frankly awful on bumpy B roads. Either too soft in Road setting or too hard in dynamic and that's the only choices you get. My local dealer insisted there was nothing wrong with it, I disagreed and sold it after just 10 months. A shame really.. But given that I prefer to be on the back roads it was just the wrong bike for me.

So I would recommend having a think about the type of roads you spend most of your time on first...

2nd test ride tomorrow...

OK, to close this out. 2nd test ride was great, the Dynamic suspension is shit however manually set up as I like it it was spot on so not a negative, I rode b-roads, a-roads and motorway, played with everything, all was good until.....my hips started to go numb!
Never had this happen, even on a sports bike, in the past, tried everything I could, put the seat in the higher position, emptied my pockets and left them (and my fly) undone to make sure nothing was tight and cutting off the blood supply but to no avail, the only thing that resolved it was stopping and getting off the bike until the feeling had returned, particularly bad in the left hip.

Thought about foot peg lowering kit, but they also push your feet out a bit and the pegs already get in the way a bit when I put my feet down and I don't want to make it worse.

Fantastic bike, I was ready to hand over money today, but I do now know I'd like some of the latest tech, so I may look at another GSA to replace the TC. If only BMW could retrofit the TC RT cruise control to the TC GSA.

Got back on the TC to ride home, my god this thing is lovely, like slipping on a nice comfy pair of slippers.

my 2007 RT is a great bike but i find it a bit cramped legwise on long journeys, so i have to ride with my heels on the pegs and my arse as far back as possible. I'm 5 ft 11 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom