Can you recommend me a bearing puller?

DCoplin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need to replace the wheel bearings on my brother-in-law's Nissan Micra and I can't take it anywhere at the moment. I don't mind springing for a new tool if I can use it elsewhere so I was thinking, I know I'll have to replace the steering stem bearing on my R100GSPD at some point in the (hopefully distant) future so I wondered if there was a go to tool that would do the trick for both jobs?

I'm a DIY enthusiast at best so I don't want to blow the bank on it, but equally I don't mind spending a little to get the right tool.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I just bought my third bearing-puller set... I thought I had a tool for each occasion, but every new vehicle brings a new challenge. I do have a relatively expensive 3 legged puller that works on some things, but more recently a bearing splitter set and expanding puller set have had to be added. That is alongside the harmonic balancer puller that fits something else! Luckily, Micra's are very much like bikes in terms of size and structural ability of tools required. My Saab 9-5 Wagon needs big heavy things and grunt to shift stuff, the Micra is a lot more manageable. Jacking the Saab needs my big jack and serious axle stands. The wife's Micra was a lift using one hand whilst pushing cardboard box under scenario (almost).

My latest puller and splitter sets cost less than £40 each. Are they top quality? no. Will they get a bearing out? yes. If the bearing is in so tight that my cheap set won't shift it, then I'm not going to wreck an expensive puller on it. Dremel and/or angle grinder or stick welder come out at that point.

The parts on a Micra are of a size that for occasional use an Ebay or Amazon set will more than likely do the job. My lad's Hyundai i20 is similar as is my daughter's Kia Rio. Very light and easy to handle mechanically. Is it front or rear bearing you need to replace?

That one is aluminium. Better for pushing seals and nice shiny new parts. A steel one would be better for smacking out recalcitrant wheel bearings from rusty old car hubs [insert silverback gorilla smiley here]. I would also heat-gun the drum until sizzling, although he thumped the one out on the video on the back of a Workmate (i.e. easy job). I'd have gone straight to a bit of timber on the concrete floor. Then hit it.

The only one that beat me was an earlier Saab front wheel bearing. Dirty great big thing entirely corroded in. Sledge hammer, biggest metal chisel I owned and on 6" concrete. Couldn't get it hot enough to make any difference (strut and hub one part). Putting a bead of weld in it didn't shrink it, although it gave me more room to smack it. The garage had to use their big press and commented that it was close to scrapping the hub [insert king-kong smiley benching two ocean liners here].

P.S. I pulled the wing out of my wife's Micra when she pranged it by hand. Like a coke can. Try pulling a Saab wing out that way!

Read somewhere that if you drive a bearing out of a cold alloy hub the hub is usually scrap afterwards.
Just like the cover on most final drives!

Is it not? The vid shows a bearing being knocked out of a steel drum. Later Micra's different?

Always happy to be shot down in flames of glory or ignominious defeat [Insert Hindenburg smiley here!]

I just bought my third bearing-puller set... I thought I had a tool for each occasion, but every new vehicle brings a new challenge. I do have a relatively expensive 3 legged puller that works on some things, but more recently a bearing splitter set and expanding puller set have had to be added. That is alongside the harmonic balancer puller that fits something else! Luckily, Micra's are very much like bikes in terms of size and structural ability of tools required. My Saab 9-5 Wagon needs big heavy things and grunt to shift stuff, the Micra is a lot more manageable. Jacking the Saab needs my big jack and serious axle stands. The wife's Micra was a lift using one hand whilst pushing cardboard box under scenario (almost).

My latest puller and splitter sets cost less than £40 each. Are they top quality? no. Will they get a bearing out? yes. If the bearing is in so tight that my cheap set won't shift it, then I'm not going to wreck an expensive puller on it. Dremel and/or angle grinder or stick welder come out at that point.

The parts on a Micra are of a size that for occasional use an Ebay or Amazon set will more than likely do the job. My lad's Hyundai i20 is similar as is my daughter's Kia Rio. Very light and easy to handle mechanically. Is it front or rear bearing you need to replace?

Thanks! You've nailed exactly where I'm at, I don't need top quality as I'll likely only ever use it a handful of times, but it does need to be up to the job.

It's for the rear bearing so it should be super straightforward (simply unscrew these 4 bolts etc etc...)

Back
Top Bottom