Fuel guage not working.

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2002 single spark r1150gs. It now has 74K on it and I decided to change the fuel filter (probably no need as I haven't been using it in any areas with dodgy fuel!) I've done this twice before at 24K and 48k with no issues. I took the flange of the tank disconnected the overflow hoses and took the pump and filter out of the tank. Replaced the filter put about 10ltr of fuel in the tank.....nothing on the fuel guage. Put in another five litres.....nothing. Drained the tank again and removed the flange. Checked the float was free to move. Put the tank back and put the fuel back in....still nothing. The little tabs on the tank sender seem to be contacting the strip ok. Anyone any Idea what I look at next? The low fuel warning light still works.

Yip its getting a bit brittle might actually replace it with a 4 wire supaseal connector. It was difficult to separate!

Yip its getting a bit brittle might actually replace it with a 4 wire supaseal connector. It was difficult to separate!

Some advice:-

The superseal connectors are rated at 14amp maximum per cable, and more to the point are designed to take wire between 0.5 and 1.5 mm(sq).

While the other cables on the fuel connector will fit, as they are rated at 1.5 (fuel pump power), 0.35 (fuel level damping), and 0.35 (fuel level indicator); The earth return on the fuel pump wire is 4.0mm(sq) (22 to 30amps) and will not. It is thicker for a reason, it needs to take the current load for all 3 wires which add up, so it is therefore rated to take the current load safely.

You should be able to find waterproof connectors that have a higher rating for what you intend. As a rule of thumb, always go for a higher rating than the wire and the fuse. That way you will not create a pinch point where heat can build up.

Ian

Thanks Ian good advice :thumb2 I'll run with it for a few weeks before I have another go at it! I'm fed up stinking of petrol:) The low fuel warning light still works and the bike runs well. Just fill up around the 180-200 mile mark as usual. I'm not convinced that something is not amiss with the fuel level strip but I can't see anything obvious.

Back
Top Bottom