Help please, difficult to push bike

rodingboy 2009

Reaction score
Hi, my first post on here, despite being a "lurker" for quite some time. Bike is a 2009 GS, non ABS, 34000 miles. Since I've owned it (18 months), I've had no problems with it whatsoever. Yesterday, I drove it home from work and it felt absolutely fine on the journey home. When I got it home and parked in the garage, I had real difficulty pushing it around, it feels as if the brakes are binding. The strange thing is, if I put it on the main stand I can turn both the front and rear wheels without feeling any resistance, yet as soon as I put it back on it's wheels I struggle to move it. Does anyone have any pointers as to where I should start looking ?

Is something fouling the rear brake lever when you take it off the stand?

Are you on an incline ? Have you tried pushing it backwards to see if that makes it any easier .....:D

No, it's on level ground in the garage.........if anything, it seemed easier to push it forward than it was to push it backward. It really feels like brakes binding, but I just can't understand why it can spin the wheel freely when it's on the main stand

Rule out brake binding by pushing on the rear calliper with your foot towards the wheel while holding on to the bike to stop it falling over. There is a slight chance that the jolt of putting in the stand is freeing them. When you take your bike off the stand you usually pull the brake. JJH

Don’t forget to apply the back brake a few times to bring the pistons back out. JJH

I am also suffering from this with my Crosstourer......when I take it down off the centre stand (or try to) it feels like the wheels are locked up on the brakes.

Will try pumping the breaks before trying to push it down off the stand.

S20 5G sent this......

Put your boot on the rear calliper and push it in, then try wheeling it around. If it feels easier, the rear calliper was sticking. If it doesn’t, your front brakes need cleaning.

If that still doesn’t fix it, try protein shakes and 4 x 10 deadlifts/squats/bench press/lat pull downs.

Put your boot on the rear calliper and push it in, then try wheeling it around. If it feels easier, the rear calliper was sticking. If it doesn’t, your front brakes need cleaning.

If that still doesn’t fix it, try protein shakes and 4 x 10 deadlifts/squats/bench press/lat pull downs.

Or buy a scooter.

Check that there are no small children or furry animals caught between the wheel(s) and mudguard(s).

Back
Top Bottom