Which GS911

Whitey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m just posting this as I keep reading how useful one is and have avoided buying one as I thought they were much more expensive that I’ve seen them selling for.

Would anyone like to recommend one?

I like the feature of using my phone to control it, sounds useful.

I’m only doing DIY servicing really.

Twin Cam GSA if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Gen 2 that plugs into a laptop - purely down to cost. You will need an adapter plug from the OBD2 plug to the round plug. I

I recently bought an ODBLink LX form Gendan for £62, an adaptor cable for a tenner and with my moto scan app I have extremely capable diagnostics for significantly cheaper than a GS911. From what I can see it does all my GS911 used to do on my RT and more. Worth a look.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

On my Twin cam I use the Gen 1 blu-tooth linked to my phone which will be your cheapest GS911 option. This model is no longer produced so the used market will be your friend. Bear in mind there is a Gen 2 WiFi which is much more expensive even on the used market and you have to consider which connector it has. There are versions with the round connector as on your bike and the OBD2 version which needs the adaptor.

Good luck with your search.

I recently bought an ODBLink LX form Gendan for £62, an adaptor cable for a tenner and with my moto scan app I have extremely capable diagnostics for significantly cheaper than a GS911. From what I can see it does all my GS911 used to do on my RT and more. Worth a look.

Motoscan app doesn't work on an iPhone as far as I know. But guess you could buy a cheap android phone if you have an iPhone. Might be wrong though :)

Motoscan app doesn't work on an iPhone as far as I know. But guess you could buy a cheap android phone if you have an iPhone. Might be wrong though :)
Wasn't aware of that, that's a shame, I suppose android phones can be had very cheaply these days though.

On my Twin cam I use the Gen 1 blu-tooth linked to my phone which will be your cheapest GS911 option. This model is no longer produced so the used market will be your friend. Bear in mind there is a Gen 2 WiFi which is much more expensive even on the used market and you have to consider which connector it has. There are versions with the round connector as on your bike and the OBD2 version which needs the adaptor.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks, that sounds like the best value.
Excuse my ignorance but you say Gen 1 and 2 which I get, but is there just one make or several?
I had a search and there seems to be loads of them but not sure if the one for BMW bikes is a specific make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The genuine GS-911 is made by HexCode in South Africa. Find them at https://www.hexcode.co.za/ There are, I understand, any number of replicas although how good they are and how you update them for new models is something I can't comment on.

after 2016 BMW moved to the car style ODB2 connector (you can loop back to the old round fossil plug) using a adaptor lead for ten quid - you can't make a round one do what the car type socket can
they also totally changed the bikes diagnostics on later bikes so a yellow or blue GS911 is now obsolete and is now for old bikes only

on the dark red ones you want at least a GS911 WiFi ODB2 device as it works with old and new bikes and has features you want, that anything lower can't do

there is a competitor out there that is good but the developer isn't interested in helping you do extras

You've put this in the 1200 section, so presume you've an older bike, that might help as you probably have the round connector under your seat.

That in turn could mean you are able to use an older round pin GS-911, they are okay for a simple connection including usb. 95% of the time you will use this at home so a lap top connection is fine. If you are travelling there are some cheap windows net books that you can use. Apple and Hex did not play nicely at that time.

They are good, but the OBDLink are good too, there are some useful threads on here using those, and cheaper.

Beware of cheap oriental copies sold as GS911, they can look identical.
If you buy a genuine used one, download the app to your mobile phone or software to your computer from the Hexcode website which will recognise the unit and enable you re-register it in your name.

This link shows the Gen 1 (yellow) and Gen 2 (Red) versions.

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products

after 2016 BMW moved to the car style ODB2 connector (you can loop back to the old round fossil plug) using a adaptor lead for ten quid - you can't make a round one do what the car type socket can

Apologies for my much delayed reply to your post, but am I correct in the assumption that the ODB2 protocol as used by BMW bikes (albeit via the round plug before 2016) is the same as the ODB2 used in cars?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm forever thinking of getting a GS-911 for my 2015 R1200GS LC but have always held back due to the cost. However, I've just seen that you can get a converter cable to go from the D-shaped ODB2 plug to the round 10 pin connector, and a friend of mine has a commercial ODB2 tool manufactured by Snap-On. I'd rather use his tool via a cable than stump up the cash for a GS-911, but I've no way of knowing if they'd be compatible. Any ideas?

Pre Lc bikes are on ISO KWP 2000 Protocol the same as a number of cars. Not sure about the LC bikes , try the LC section.
Most scanners will give you a bit of info.
Nothing that I have Ie. Motoscan App ( most expensive) and OBD link MX, Innovate LM2 Dual in scanner mode come anything close to the capabilities of my old Gen1 Buetooth GS911 , It is the dedicated software that you are paying for.

I’ve got the older yellow version that is not WiFi and use it with an old Windows laptop to service my 2011 twin cam, just used it this last week to reset the service interval. If I was buying one now I’d get a second hand one that has spare capacity, mine takes up to 10 bikes so it still has 9 left. I just updated it and was surprised to see it added the latest 1250’s. Very useful tool that you shouldn’t be without if self servicing. Whenever I log in to hexcode it tells me I can PX for the new one but I don’t see the point.

I’ve got the older yellow version that is not WiFi and use it with an old Windows laptop to service my 2011 twin cam, just used it this last week to reset the service interval. If I was buying one now I’d get a second hand one that has spare capacity, mine takes up to 10 bikes so it still has 9 left. I just updated it and was surprised to see it added the latest 1250’s. Very useful tool that you shouldn’t be without if self servicing. Whenever I log in to hexcode it tells me I can PX for the new one but I don’t see the point.

I've got the older yellow 911, how do you update it?. I've only used it to reset service indicator following the prescribed work being done.

yellow one doesn't do after 2015 maybe not any LC bike after 2013?

https://www.hexgs911.com/function-chart/

bikes that need a red one

R Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) R1200GS LC (K50), R1200GS Adventure LC (K51), R1200RT LC(K52), R1200R LC (K53), R1200RS LC (K54), RnineT Scrambler (K23), RnineT (K21), RnineT Pure (K22), RnineT Racer (K32), RnineT Urban G/S (K33), R1250GS (K50), R1250GS Adventure (K51), R1250RT (K52), R1250R (K53), R1250RS (K54), R18, R18 Classic (K34) , R18 Bagger, Transcontinental (K35) F Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) F750GS (K80), F850GS (K81), F850GS Adventure (K82), F900R (K83), F900XR (K84) K Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) K1600GT (K48), K1600GTL (K48), K1600GTL Excl. (K48), K1600 Bagger (K61) G Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) G310GS (K02), G310R (K03) C Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) C650 Sport (K18), C650GT (K19), C Evolution (K17) , C400GT (K08), C400X (K09) S Series, K001 models (LIN & CAN Bus, CAN Port) S1000R (K47), S1000XR (K49), S1000RR (K46), HP4 RACE (K60), S1000XR (K69), S1000RR (K67), M1000RR (K67)

I’ve got the older Yellow one and bought it new around 2014. I used it last week and when I connected it to my laptop and updated from Hexcode, the list under R Series had all the LC up to and including the 1250’s.
My 2011 bike is way down the available list.

Back
Top Bottom