Garmin Basecamp alternative for M1 Macs

godwyn1962

Reaction score
I understand that Garmin have disbanded the Basecamp development team so we can’t expect any new versions, I can forget about waiting for a version for M1 Apple computers running macOS Monterey.

So…. anyone know of a Basecamp alternative that works with my BMW Navigator V and my M1 MacBook on macOS Monterey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies in advance if I’ve posted to the wrong thread.

I understand that Garmin have disbanded the Basecamp development team so we can’t expect any new versions, I can forget about waiting for a version for M1 Apple computers running macOS Monterey.

So…. anyone know of a Basecamp alternative that works with my BMW Navigator V and my M1 MacBook on macOS Monterey?

I'm not aware of another piece of software that directly communicates with the Nav6, obviously you could just drop GPX files onto the Nav6 over USB but you'd be at the mercy of how the Nav6 interprets the file.

I'm also using an M1 MacBook and BaseCamp is "useable". The 2D map is sluggish but it's useable and the issue with route calculation appears to have been resolved. As a backup I have Parallels running on my M1 Mac with an ARM based version of Windows 11 which allows me to use the Windows version of BaseCamp which actually works better than the native Mac version.

I, as a long term Garmin BaseCamp and MapSource fan, have been getting to grips with MyRoute on my Mac and iPad. So far, so good. That it integrates very well with my iPhone and XT / Nav V / Garmin Drive and BNW’s Connect apps is a bonus, too. Add in that my XT has excellent Bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone is another plus point.

It always pays to check anything and everything (particularly a route) that relies on a third party piece of software, not least as sorting things out at home is a lot quicker than sorting them out miles away. But as I always checked that routes created in Garmin’s own software had transferred into my navigation device reliably, that’s not too onerous a task.

I am running MacOS Monterey on my M1 Mac Mini and other than the relatively slow map refresh, Basecamp seems to run fine :nenau Having said that, I do also use MyRoute and as that application is being continually improved, it could be the way to go for me in the future.

Does Basecamp work with the Rosetta thing that enables old intel apps to work on the M1?

Yes, Rosetta 2. Basecamp works fine on M1 Macs.

I wouldn't say "fine", but it's definitely sufficient enough to use. I have just learnt to move around the map much slower than I would normally haha

I have just started to use the My Route App on my iPad Air and MacBook. So far, I am impressed.

What I particularly like is that the maps displayed on the screen are far far superior to the maps displayed in Basecamp. Indeed, you can quickly switch between different maps ( Here, Google, OSM, Michelin and the like) , and check the route using different routing software ( be it Garmin, TomTom, Google or whatever)

For the first time in years I'm attempting to use Basecamp on my iMac which has now been updated to Monterey. Initially it was terribly slow at plotting simple routes and I was also unable to move shaping points. Well, I could move the points themselves, but the route still includes where they were previously.

To my surprise, I found there was an updated Basecamp available, I thought it was no longer being developed. Installed that and Basecamp now runs smoothly, but the route shaping issue remains.

Anyone had this problem, or better, a solution?

Back
Top Bottom