Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel Crash bars, which?

Keith this and your post re. OEM crash bars is very helpful. I'm going to go that way. Can I ask, where did you get the Aprillia mudguard and am I correct in thinking it is the part designed for the Aprillia Caponord 1200 Rally. I believe it's a perfect fit. Someone on a forum said you lose the fork covers, but it fits the holes. Not sure why that should be the case but any information/advice you have greatly received.

Picture explains all (i hope). Caponord mudguard with Fenda Extenda thingy, the mudguard is very snug, be careful where you put holes for fenda extenda as plastic fixing rivets cut a nice groove in yer tyre :blast
Genuine Guzzi Engine Bars :thumb2

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 203
Picture explains all (i hope). Caponord mudguard with Fenda Extenda thingy, the mudguard is very snug, be careful where you put holes for fenda extenda as plastic fixing rivets cut a nice groove in yer tyre :blast
Genuine Guzzi Engine Bars :thumb2

Nice bike sir! Thanks yes that's helpful. Any recommendations as to where to buy the Caponord mudguard. Is it the one for the 1200 Rally or the 1000 or are they essentially the same. Part number would be ideal if you have it.

Nice bike sir! Thanks yes that's helpful. Any recommendations as to where to buy the Caponord mudguard. Is it the one for the 1200 Rally or the 1000 or are they essentially the same. Part number would be ideal if you have it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143648805138?hash=item217222d112:g:FysAAOSwXjlh4nba

Bought mine from a UK based Aprillia dealer, however the link shows the Part Numbers.
Not sure if it's the 1200 Rally or the 1000? Someone else might be able to help or Google maybe?

Aprilia Caponord Rallye front mudguard from Aprillia dealer should be £44 give or take a few pennies, part number 2B001431

The Pyramid Plastics Fenda-Extenda is part number SKU: 057173. around £22.

These are the part numbers I bought and they fit bike very nicely.

That's just so helpful. Cheers GSite :thumby:

Borderbob, there is a small hole at the rear of the Aprillia mudguard, something to do with brake line fittings on the Caponord I think. Easily blanked of with a small blind grommet.

I got nearly all the bits for my V85 from Gutsibits. They are very helpful and delivery was reasonably quick. They will make sure you get the right Caponord mudguard and are agents fur pyramid too. Saved on postage by doing one order. They were also cheaper than importing my Mistral exhaust items direct from Mistral in Italy, plus no risk of customs duty, vat etc being unexpectedly applied plus dealing with a uk company in the event it all goes a bit wrong. The Gutsibits website has a similar look and feel to Motorworks (bmw) so I wouldn’t be surprised to find a business relationship somewhere.

I got nearly all the bits for my V85 from Gutsibits. They are very helpful and delivery was reasonably quick. They will make sure you get the right Caponord mudguard and are agents fur pyramid too. Saved on postage by doing one order. They were also cheaper than importing my Mistral exhaust items direct from Mistral in Italy, plus no risk of customs duty, vat etc being unexpectedly applied plus dealing with a uk company in the event it all goes a bit wrong. The Gutsibits website has a similar look and feel to Motorworks (bmw) so I wouldn’t be surprised to find a business relationship somewhere.

Brilliant! ;) Not having owned a MG before, I'm getting my head around things and where to go, having for decades known all the sources for BMW parts. www.gusibits.co.uk returns: Gutsibits site is being fettled, it will be available again soon. But there's no rush and I could email them anyway. Thanks for your help.

. The Gutsibits website has a similar look and feel to Motorworks (bmw) so I wouldn’t be surprised to find a business relationship somewhere.

I believe, way back that Motorworks used supply both BMW and Guzzi used spares. then they sold all the Guzzi stock. Gutsibits grew from that sale of stock. Both companies are close to each other in Yorkshire.

You had a much better experience than I did. I ordered mudguard and Fenda Extenda from them well in advance of getting the bike, to ensure the alternator cover didn't get covered in crap. When the bike arrived I discovered that they had in fact sent me the WRONG Caponord mudguard. On phoning to sort it out I had to tell THEM the correct Aprilia part number. (Hope they hadn't batch ordered a load of the wrong ones...) By the time the replacement arrived, along with a much delayed Fenda Extenda, the alternator cover was less than pristine... They did at least send a returns label for the worng 'guard- but I've just worked out that they charged me postage for them to send out its' replacment. Cheeky beggars. Not the most promising start to Guzzi ownership but we all make mistakes so I'll give them the benefit and they'll still get my business

If it helps you I also fitted heated grips on mine:

So I had seen a few posts suggesting that the V85TT has - as standard - already got the controls and part of the harness in place for you to add the heated grips yourself. Also, of course we all have the button on the left switchgear (those without heated grips probably wonder what the button does because it has no effect at all unless you connect the grips...). It's this button (number 11):
file.php

So, I decided to give it a go :idea: I had read that the Oxford Premium Touring Grips are the right size, and they're currently on offer at Sportsbikeshop: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101830
file.php

The grips themselves are straight forwards to fit. Once you pop off anything that may be obstructing the bar end (barkbusters), I popped a thin screwdriver under the existing rubber grips, and squirted a bit of WD40 in as a lubricant, and the old grips slid off the bars easily (I did not want to cut them as the Oxford instructions say, in case I ever wanted to refit them). The LH Oxford grip slid onto the handlebar easily, but the throttle side took some "gentle persuasion" :eek: - be prepared to put those gym memberships to good use :lol: . Likewise the LH grip needed gluing on (glue supplied with the Oxford kit), the throttle one was so tight, I did not use glue. Don't push the throttle side on too far as it may stick slightly against the housing - DAMHIK - leave a 3 or 4mm gap.

You've probably already removed the fuel tank for other reasons, there's plenty of guides on t'internet if you need them. Fortunately I did not need to remove the tank completely, with the 3 mounting bolts removed, I could raise the tank enough to remove the small plastic panel (4 crosshead screws) on the RH side (the cable cover fastened to the frame immediately behind the steering head), and reveal the connectors Moto Guzzi had kindly supplied:

file.php

Now the only job left (assuming you have by now routed the cables from the grips) is connect the Oxford grips to the bike. you're going to use the bikes existing controller (preinstalled) and the button on the LH switchgear, so you can leave this stuff in the box!... However you now need to connect the Oxford grips to the bike's harness. I did not want to splice into the Guzzi harness, so I managed (after much internet hunting) to sourced the "Molex" connectors:

file.php

I struggled to find a source for Molex in the UK initially, but found them on RS Components:
the plastic connector: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6794849
the pins: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crim...VDpftCh17wgkzEAAYASAAEgISFfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

file.php

I cut the Oxford connectors from the Heat Controller. I used these to make short fly-leads, with the Oxford connector at one end, and the Molex connector at the other. This meant I could plug into the bike harness without any modification to the bike itself:

And that's it! Put the bike back together. As soon as the connections are in place, and the ignition is turned on, you get the blue symbol on your dashboard telling you it can "see" the grips!

It's just 8 degrees here today, so I nipped out for a spin with my summer gloves on. On setting 1, it's only just noticeable. On setting 2 it's more than enough heat. On setting 3 it's really toasty (the Guzzi integrated controller has 3 settings whereas the Oxford controller we scrapped has 5 settings).

file.php

There's a rumour I have seen on the internet that the Guzzi does not power the grips until 2000 rpm to save load on the electrical system. I can't say one way or another but they don't seem to warm up as quick on tickover...

file.php

Delighted! Warm hands, looks just like factory fit, without the muttly Oxford controller, and at a fraction of the cost of MG originals ;)

Hope this helps someone...

nice job and thanks for the photos and step-by-step instructions :beerjug:

Rob did you heat and bend the Caponord Rally fender to gain clearance? I am trying to fit it now and the Extender barely fits between the fender and tyre, in fact slightly rubs. I've heated the fender in the oven to bow it out a bit and the extender is not actually rubbing now but it almost is. It'd be nice to have at least 1/4" clearance after it's mounted so I just took it off and am heating it again.

Heard that there isn’t much clearance as the V85 wheel is bigger than the Caponard wheel. Interested in other views on this as I’ve just ordered the mudguard and fender extender :confused:. Out of interest which tyres do you have ????

Rob did you heat and bend the Caponord Rally fender to gain clearance? I am trying to fit it now and the Extender barely fits between the fender and tyre, in fact slightly rubs. I've heated the fender in the oven to bow it out a bit and the extender is not actually rubbing now but it almost is. It'd be nice to have at least 1/4" clearance after it's mounted so I just took it off and am heating it again.

Something odd there. I wonder if there have been changes either to the mudguard or the Guzzi forks>? No such issues with mine - plenty of room... I have CTA3 on mine

Heard that there isn’t much clearance as the V85 wheel is bigger than the Caponard wheel. Interested in other views on this as I’ve just ordered the mudguard and fender extender :confused:. Out of interest which tyres do you have ????

Only the Rally version of the Caponord has a 19" front wheel - same size as the v85tt. Other versions use a 17". Which might explain why various different part numbers were initially being bandied about on the various Guzzi forums and the resulting confusion.
No clearance issues on mine. I wouldn't say there was plenty of room but certainly no need to reshape mudguard or extenda. 2020 bike with the stock Anakees

Also had no clearance problems on my 2020 bike when fitting the Caponord Rallye guard and the relevant Pyramid fender extender using stock Anakee Adventure tyres. Just wondered if you could elongate the holes in the mudguard to effectively raise it up bit and increase the clearance from the tyre. I did this on another bike and back filled the holes to keep them circular.