Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel Crash bars, which?

Borderbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the new V85 TT Travel. It would appear that beyond the extras the Travel model comes with, it's worthwhile adding three mods:

1. Low front mudguard - apparently the APRILIA ETV 1000 CAPO NORD can be fitted

2. Centre stand

3. Crash bars

Has anyone done the research to determine which make of crash bars are best: Moto Guzzi, Hepco and Becker, Givi....? Or better still, have experience of any of them.

I've been tempted by the new V85 TT Travel. It would appear that beyond the extras the Travel model comes with, it's worthwhile adding three mods:

1. Low front mudguard - apparently the APRILIA ETV 1000 CAPO NORD can be fitted

2. Centre stand

3. Crash bars

Has anyone done the research to determine which make of crash bars are best: Moto Guzzi, Hepco and Becker, Givi....? Or better still, have experience of any of them.

Fitted Guzzi's own to mine - good price, good quality and easy to get at the valve covers for maintenance. Also fitted the Main Stand which was tricky to get the springs on but it is do-able. Caponord front fender with an extender is a no-brainer. :okay

Fitted Guzzi's own to mine - good price, good quality and easy to get at the valve covers for maintenance. Also fitted the Main Stand which was tricky to get the springs on but it is do-able. Caponord front fender with an extender is a no-brainer. :okay

Brilliant. That’s helpful. Dealer says they fit the stand for £30 so to save the effort, I’ll let them do that.

Bars - I’ll get/fit myself. Did you have to use a tap to clean or the powder coating from the threads?. Heard it may be necessary.
M8 thread at a guess?

Caponord fender - do I need to source fittings to attach it? Or does it just bolt on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant. That’s helpful. Dealer says they fit the stand for £30 so to save the effort, I’ll let them do that.

Bars - I’ll get/fit myself. Did you have to use a tap to clean or the powder coating from the threads?. Heard it may be necessary.
M8 thread at a guess?

Caponord fender - do I need to source fittings to attach it? Or does it just bolt on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds a good deal - knowing what I know now I'd have been happy to pay... :D

Didn't need a tap as the threads were fine.... some of the fixing points are a little awkward but with a little patience perfectly manageable.

You don't additional bolts - just reuse the original fork cover bolts as it mounts in the same place.

The Caponord mudguard on it's own sadly doesn't protect the front of the engine enough. I also added a Pyramid Plastics Fenda Extenda to the Caponord mudguard.

This one: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/coll...enda-fenda-matte-black-moto-guzzi-v85-tt-2020

I bought the Caponord Fenda Extenda from them with their Hugger which I quite like: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/coll...mid-hugger-gloss-black-moto-guzzi-v85-tt-2019

The Hugger's probably not as important as say on a GS - on the GS and many other bikes the hugger (or mudsling on GS) protects the rear shock and linkages, but of course the rear shock is offset on the Guzzi so it doesn't get as badly covered in winter grime as some bikes....

If it helps you I also fitted heated grips on mine:

So I had seen a few posts suggesting that the V85TT has - as standard - already got the controls and part of the harness in place for you to add the heated grips yourself. Also, of course we all have the button on the left switchgear (those without heated grips probably wonder what the button does because it has no effect at all unless you connect the grips...). It's this button (number 11):

file.php

So, I decided to give it a go :idea: I had read that the Oxford Premium Touring Grips are the right size, and they're currently on offer at Sportsbikeshop: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101830

file.php

The grips themselves are straight forwards to fit. Once you pop off anything that may be obstructing the bar end (barkbusters), I popped a thin screwdriver under the existing rubber grips, and squirted a bit of WD40 in as a lubricant, and the old grips slid off the bars easily (I did not want to cut them as the Oxford instructions say, in case I ever wanted to refit them). The LH Oxford grip slid onto the handlebar easily, but the throttle side took some "gentle persuasion" :eek: - be prepared to put those gym memberships to good use :lol: . Likewise the LH grip needed gluing on (glue supplied with the Oxford kit), the throttle one was so tight, I did not use glue. Don't push the throttle side on too far as it may stick slightly against the housing - DAMHIK - leave a 3 or 4mm gap.

You've probably already removed the fuel tank for other reasons, there's plenty of guides on t'internet if you need them. Fortunately I did not need to remove the tank completely, with the 3 mounting bolts removed, I could raise the tank enough to remove the small plastic panel (4 crosshead screws) on the RH side (the cable cover fastened to the frame immediately behind the steering head), and reveal the connectors Moto Guzzi had kindly supplied:

file.php

Now the only job left (assuming you have by now routed the cables from the grips) is connect the Oxford grips to the bike. you're going to use the bikes existing controller (preinstalled) and the button on the LH switchgear, so you can leave this stuff in the box!... However you now need to connect the Oxford grips to the bike's harness. I did not want to splice into the Guzzi harness, so I managed (after much internet hunting) to sourced the "Molex" connectors:

file.php

I struggled to find a source for Molex in the UK initially, but found them on RS Components:
the plastic connector: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-housings-plugs/6794849
the pins: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crim...VDpftCh17wgkzEAAYASAAEgISFfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

file.php

I cut the Oxford connectors from the Heat Controller. I used these to make short fly-leads, with the Oxford connector at one end, and the Molex connector at the other. This meant I could plug into the bike harness without any modification to the bike itself:

And that's it! Put the bike back together. As soon as the connections are in place, and the ignition is turned on, you get the blue symbol on your dashboard telling you it can "see" the grips!

It's just 8 degrees here today, so I nipped out for a spin with my summer gloves on. On setting 1, it's only just noticeable. On setting 2 it's more than enough heat. On setting 3 it's really toasty (the Guzzi integrated controller has 3 settings whereas the Oxford controller we scrapped has 5 settings).

file.php

There's a rumour I have seen on the internet that the Guzzi does not power the grips until 2000 rpm to save load on the electrical system. I can't say one way or another but they don't seem to warm up as quick on tickover...

file.php

Delighted! Warm hands, looks just like factory fit, without the muttly Oxford controller, and at a fraction of the cost of MG originals ;)

Hope this helps someone...

Attachments

• LH switchgear.JPG
    LH switchgear.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 447
  • the grips.jpg
    the grips.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 461
  • the bike connectors.jpg
    the bike connectors.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 447
  • the harness in place.jpg
    the harness in place.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 448
  • the connectors.jpg
    the connectors.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 447
I have SW Motech crash bars, (fairly easy to fit, just be careful not to pinch the wiring on the front of the frame) Aprillia mudguard with Pyramid extenda and OEM centre stand.

Been thinking about fitting heated grips to mine, so many thanks Martin for posting the info.
The bars taper towards the grips so just wondering if the tapering continues to the end of the bars. If so do the Oxford grips simply stretch over the wider section while gripping the thinner end snugly or did you needed to modify in any way ?

If you do not go for OEM crash bars, then 2x part number 2B006262 will get you 2 plugs to cover the holes on the engine casing where the original crash bars mount.

I have the Guzzi bars on mine and have tested them. Slid off on oil at about 55mph bike slid on its side for about 75yards. Crash bars took the brunt of the impact and were nicely chamfered with just a small mark on the rocker cover. The top box, pegs and both brake levers were the other parts that were damaged. The crash bars are about £85 and I think great value.

Heated grips: I tried to fit some old Oxford ones I had lying about. I gave up as the inside diameter of the grips was smaller than the throttle tube, despite some time with a dremel. I bit the bullet and bought some MG ones which were a doddle to fit. But they are not that hot.

Centre centre stand, yup always worth adding. Mudguards: front, I have the Capo one complete with a Pyramid fenda extension. Rear, I added the pyramid hugger, which is a bit of a faff and tbh I wish I hadn’t bothered. It’s not necessary.

Been thinking about fitting heated grips to mine, so many thanks Martin for posting the info.
The bars taper towards the grips so just wondering if the tapering continues to the end of the bars. If so do the Oxford grips simply stretch over the wider section while gripping the thinner end snugly or did you needed to modify in any way ?

GSite - it was straight forwards with the Oxford Touring. The clutch side was snug but not snug enough, and the supplied superglue sorted that! The throttle was a bit of a bitch to get on (see my commend re gym memberships :) ). I used lube on the throttle side, and was worried I had stretched the Oxford grip, but it is designed for some flex. In terms of modifications, I did chamfer the end of the throttle twistgrip slightly to remove any sharp edges so the throttle side would slide on (with the lube).
Since writing this I bought some muffs, and even with the grips on minimum heat I was OK at temperatures just above freezing. I would def go with the Oxford route again.

The Guzzi OEM ones have a complete throttle twistgrip assembly which in some respects makes them easier to fit, but then you do have to completely remove the tank to connect the new "fly by wire" connector.

I've done about 1000 winter miles (at least!) since installing, and they've been faultless...not bad for £50 all-in :)

The Guzzi OEM ones have a complete throttle twistgrip assembly which in some respects makes them easier to fit, but then you do have to completely remove the tank to connect the new "fly by wire" connector.
One advantage of the Guzzi heated grips is that the supplied twistgrip apparently has a lighter 'pull' - what would have been a lighter spring on a carb. I'm not alone in finding the standard throttle pull quite noticeable - it has caught me out a couple of times, especially with one particular set of gloves (easily solved!). I have in fact gone the Oxford route, yet to install, so thanks for the great write up and links.
Re bars: I've got a set of Hepco crash bars which I'm very happy with now they're on. They were £90 secondhand, advertised 'as new', all the fittings included (but no instructions...). Appeared to be in excellent condition, looked like they'd never been fitted. And I soon found out why.... The nearside one appeared to have sprung ever so slightly, just enough to make keeping all the mounts lined up whilst tightening the bolts a right royal PITA. Need the use of at least three hands. Much frustration and faffing about until I worked out that I could onlhy do it by tightening the bolts in a specific order. Thereafter the only minor issue was access to the rear bolt which required two extension wobble bars. I like the look of them, remind me of airhead bars
If buying new I'd go either for the Guzzi ones or, if funds allow, the Motech. The latter are more substantial than the OEM or H&B, with extra bracing but not going over the top (see the Givi version...)

I find it really odd that we don't see more V85TT's on the road. Especially fold wanting to downsize from a air-cooled GS 1150/1200, it seems an almost natural move to me. Mines over 15k miles now, and still loving it. I still have my GS LC, as my girlfriend only likes the GS pillion perch (the ESA effect I think!), plus some of my mates still ride the bigger bikes, and the TT struggles to keep up with a well-ridden 1200/1250 GS ;) Other than those scenarios, the TT is my go-to bike :okay

I find it really odd that we don't see more V85TT's on the road. Especially fold wanting to downsize from a air-cooled GS 1150/1200, it seems an almost natural move to me. Mines over 15k miles now, and still loving it. I still have my GS LC, as my girlfriend only likes the GS pillion perch (the ESA effect I think!), plus some of my mates still ride the bigger bikes, and the TT struggles to keep up with a well-ridden 1200/1250 GS ;) Other than those scenarios, the TT is my go-to bike :okay

Many thanks for the info about the heated grips, Martin. I've purchased the Oxford grips but just haven't got round to fitting them yet - but with your excellent information I really have no excuse in delaying the job.

I went on a charity motorcycle ride last week for the Air Ambulance, there were 600+ bikes and I saw four V85TT's including my own.

Many thanks for the comprehensive guide MartinK. In fact I don't need it as I've ordered the new Travel model which includes heated grips as standard. In fact the deal being offered at Colchester Kawasaki this week for the Travel model was too good to resist: £9,899.00 (They had three on offer but have all sold now just checked).

Thanks also those who have advised on centre stand and crash bars. Really, really helpful. So... I've told them to order and fit the stand. (Why not for 30 quid) and order me the OEM crash bars which I'll fit myself. Quite like the look of the H&B and the Givi ones and prepared to believe their quality will be very good. But as AustinW has already crashed tested the Guzzi ones, hopefully that will save me a job and it sounds like they did what was required! Hope you were OK BTW.

Cheers. Cant wait to ride it.

Enjoy Bob, they really are a cracking bike. Even better with a Y piece and slip on. As an aside. We are looking to add a pup to our family, we have Aggie a gorgeous 4 year old Border but the breeder we got her from (Elmlea Borders) is looking at August for her next litter. Any breeder recommendations?
Steve.

Enjoy Bob, they really are a cracking bike. Even better with a Y piece and slip on. As an aside. We are looking to add a pup to our family, we have Aggie a gorgeous 4 year old Border but the breeder we got her from (Elmlea Borders) is looking at August for her next litter. Any breeder recommendations?
Steve.

Yes it would seem so. Time I climbed down a bit from the big GS trail bikes and this seems the obvious way to go :D

Border Collies. Now ya talking! But I can\t recommend anywhere. I've owned them for nigh on 30 years now but sadly, we're 'in between dogs' currently having lost the last two to old age last year. So I'm looking too. I'd like to do a young rescue but as you probably know, accessing rescue dogs at over the past year has been really difficult and it's now extremely challenging from the big centres. The info they want about you and the hopps you have to jump through are significant. Probably a good thing but is certainly moved on!

I'm sure you know it all already but here's my experience.

We've had them from breeders and from farms. There's no rule but I can only refer to my experience of the five we've had.
Breeder supplied: beautiful. You get the pedigree but that's of no interest to me. The two we got had had the interest in herding sheep bread out of them completely! All borders are hard work for the first few years but these were easier. That said, although lovely temperament, they were not as bright.

Farm bred: pretty much guaranteed they will want to work so if you don't have sheep, you need to honour that and provide a substitute. I've always used frisbees. (You need the Aerodisc soft rimmed variety - not cheap but the best ever for dogs and you). You get what you get. We lost a fabulous one aged only six due to renal failure. Another in a road accident so not significant. Both breeder supplied dogs inc. Bob in the picture lived for 13 years.

As I'm sure you know, they can be fiesty and need really good handling and attention. WHen good they are the best dogs ever IMO. When not, and that can be simply down to bad luck, they can be a real liability.

I've come to the conclusion, that on balance, if I can't find a rescue dog that I want, I may start investigating farms around me. Problem is these days, wherever you get them, they can be put upfor sale for ridiculous amounts. Breeders have gone mad during the pandemic and I don't like what I see happening. Just talk to a vet!

Best of luck in your search. Let me know when you find the next one :D

Yes it would seem so. Time I climbed down a bit from the big GS trail bikes and this seems the obvious way to go :D

Border Collies. Now ya talking! But I can\t recommend anywhere. I've owned them for nigh on 30 years now but sadly, we're 'in between dogs' currently having lost the last two to old age last year. So I'm looking too. I'd like to do a young rescue but as you probably know, accessing rescue dogs at over the past year has been really difficult and it's now extremely challenging from the big centres. The info they want about you and the hopps you have to jump through are significant. Probably a good thing but is certainly moved on!

I'm sure you know it all already but here's my experience.

We've had them from breeders and from farms. There's no rule but I can only refer to my experience of the five we've had.
Breeder supplied: beautiful. You get the pedigree but that's of no interest to me. The two we got had had the interest in herding sheep bread out of them completely! All borders are hard work for the first few years but these were easier. That said, although lovely temperament, they were not as bright.

Farm bred: pretty much guaranteed they will want to work so if you don't have sheep, you need to honour that and provide a substitute. I've always used frisbees. (You need the Aerodisc soft rimmed variety - not cheap but the best ever for dogs and you). You get what you get. We lost a fabulous one aged only six due to renal failure. Another in a road accident so not significant. Both breeder supplied dogs inc. Bob in the picture lived for 13 years.

As I'm sure you know, they can be fiesty and need really good handling and attention. WHen good they are the best dogs ever IMO. When not, and that can be simply down to bad luck, they can be a real liability.

I've come to the conclusion, that on balance, if I can't find a rescue dog that I want, I may start investigating farms around me. Problem is these days, wherever you get them, they can be put upfor sale for ridiculous amounts. Breeders have gone mad during the pandemic and I don't like what I see happening. Just talk to a vet!

Best of luck in your search. Let me know when you find the next one :D

I went to Skipton Mart collie sales, a couple of years ago
Some smart dogs there
Top seller was one of Emma Grays which made 15-16000 Guineas if I recall

I have SW Motech crash bars, (fairly easy to fit, just be careful not to pinch the wiring on the front of the frame) Aprillia mudguard with Pyramid extenda and OEM centre stand.

Keith this and your post re. OEM crash bars is very helpful. I'm going to go that way. Can I ask, where did you get the Aprillia mudguard and am I correct in thinking it is the part designed for the Aprillia Caponord 1200 Rally. I believe it's a perfect fit. Someone on a forum said you lose the fork covers, but it fits the holes. Not sure why that should be the case but any information/advice you have greatly received.