Travel insurance via your bank, credit card or building society

Wapping

Reaction score
This is often recommended on this forum. That’s fine, providing bods don’t think that their free gift from the Bank of Pie is necessarily going to be the same as another bod’s who banks with the Bank of Awesome Steeds.

Not least, the policy wordings do alter, even if your account hasn’t changed one jot. Bods often miss this, particularly if the cannot be arsed to read (or even skim thro’) the words. For example, HSBC has just changed one of their policies, the notification arrived by email just now.

Premier Travel Insurance changes at a glance:

1. There are changes to business cover where a list of excluded occupations has been introduced to replace the previous blanket exclusion for non-office based work. Aviva have also removed the 31 day per calendar year limit for business travel meaning cover will simply align to the trip length.

2. Cover has been added for customers who need to cancel or return home early due to a border closure within 31 days of their trip.

3. Aviva have extended cover under the unrecoverable costs and increased the repatriation limits to align this with the overall policy limit of £10m for associated medical expenses outside the UK.

4. Removal of the restriction limiting the cc motorcycle engine size meaning riding motorcycles abroad is now covered as long as the insured person has a licence to ride in the UK.

5. The cover for trips in the UK has been extended, meaning that trips for two or more consecutive nights will be covered if they include prepaid public transport bookings.

6. A new exclusion for claims linked to drones has been added to the 'Personal liability' and 'Your belongings' sections.

These updates, along with other changes made by your insurer, are summarised in the Notice of Variation. We've also revised HSBC Premier Travel Insurance Policy Wording, which provides full details of your policy terms and conditions, including what you will need to do to claim if your trip is cancelled and answers to some frequently asked questions.

Point 4 is interesting, not least as it is an improvement from the previous limitation. It might though have been notice of the reverse ie. the bringing in of a restriction. Had it of been and someone had just glibly assumed things never change, they might have had a rude and somewhat painful reminder that they do.

4. Removal of the restriction limiting the cc motorcycle engine size meaning riding motorcycles abroad is now covered as long as the insured person has a licence to ride in the UK.

Doesn't this apply to rentals only?

I had to admit I've had this insurance for a number of years and never bothered to look at the terms.

Nationwide customers will soon have a change to bundled policies. This time it is the breakdown cover provider. They have seemingly fucked up the new policy wording so ignore this on the website for now. They are going to change it and issue everyone with a new policy document before the change happens in a few months.

The wording relates to land barges sometimes called motorhomes. They had reduced the size of vehicle covered but have back tracked after complaints and will cover the same size vehicle as the current provider.

As ever with these accounts, check the current policy wording at the time of travel as providers change and the T&Cs change. Your policy document from 2017 when the account was opened may no longer be current.

I had to admit I've had this insurance for a number of years and never bothered to look at the terms.

Good question as this seems to be the "rub with Travel insurance thrown in with banking etc

Certainly mine was specific as to not my bike and at the time to a limit of 125CC ( basically i was ok as long as it was a scooter hire in Malaga)

Maybe. Maybe not. Read YOUR policy, not mine or someone else’s.

Here’s a simple example: The Post Office’s travel policy (which used to be recommended on this forum a lot) was amended to exclude riding a motorcycle with a cubic capacity of greater than 1600 cc. That would not trouble many bikermates, whose awesome steeds cap out at about 1250’ish. Me? My 1600 is actually 1615 cc or something like that, as specified on the V5.

Question: Do I gamble or do I buy a policy from a separate insurer and maybe pay a tenner more?

Answer: I paid an extra tenner, not least as I would pay £1000 or more after the event not to have some chimp in a call centre debating 15cc with me whilst I was lying in traction and pissing via a tube.

Be assured, that when and if you come to claim (or are hoping to claim) you’ll read it then. Line by line.

:beerjug:

If I remember correctly from reading my Lloyds bank bundled travel insurance it excludes riding bikes of 50cc and under - most strange but very welcome?

Be assured, that when and if you come to claim (or are hoping to claim) you’ll read it then. Line by line.

I was vaguely aware about having travel insurance with the HSBC account. It is a "by-product" of the account upgrade, I didn't ask for it. Admittedly I don't travel that much, but never used travel insurance in my life. I never really planned on having one or claiming.
But, since it's there... might make sense to read my contract. :)

Not directly connected to travel insurance but an example of how carefully reading what cover you have and with which policy, an be of significant benefit:

When I had my accident in 2020, I had two insurance policies - one for my GS and another for my commuter scooter. I didn't bother with legal expenses insurance for my scooter but did for my GS (both insured through Carole Nash).

Had I assumed that the legal expenses cover under my GS policy only covered me for events restricted to that particular bike, I would have handed over 20% of my eventual payout to the solicitor. Because I read the policy wording carefully (I had little else to do at the time), I was able to apply the legal expenses cover for my GS to my scooter accident and therefore keep 100% of the payout.3

This is often recommended on this forum. That’s fine, providing bods don’t think that their free gift from the Bank of Pie is necessarily going to be the same as another bod’s who banks with the Bank of Awesome Steeds.

Not least, the policy wordings do alter, even if your account hasn’t changed one jot. Bods often miss this, particularly if the cannot be arsed to read (or even skim thro’) the words. For example, HSBC has just changed one of their policies, the notification arrived by email just now.

Point 4 is interesting, not least as it is an improvement from the previous limitation. It might though have been notice of the reverse ie. the bringing in of a restriction. Had it of been and someone had just glibly assumed things never change, they might have had a rude and somewhat painful reminder that they do.

Is that with a HSBC personal bank account?

Not directly connected to travel insurance but an example of how carefully reading what cover you have and with which policy, an be of significant benefit:

When I had my accident in 2020, I had two insurance policies - one for my GS and another for my commuter scooter. I didn't bother with legal expenses insurance for my scooter but did for my GS (both insured through Carole Nash).

Had I assumed that the legal expenses cover under my GS policy only covered me for events restricted to that particular bike, I would have handed over 20% of my eventual payout to the solicitor. Because I read the policy wording carefully (I had little else to do at the time), I was able to apply the legal expenses cover for my GS to my scooter accident and therefore keep 100% of the payout.3

Yup, very often it’s a bolt on to the standard motor policy, underwritten by a completely different insurer to the motor part. It’s a generic wording giving ‘legal expenses’ coving following a claim arising within the 12 months’ lifetime of the motor policy; it’s not, as you say, always particular to the insured vehicle itself.

Back
Top Bottom