Battery earth point location

garry a

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’ve just dragged my 2002 1150gs from its long sleep it’s been on a trickle charger for 12 months plus. My first attempt at starting it turned over slow but did not fire. fuel pump did not prime so cleaned connector under tank and pump now primes as normal. So second try it’s cranking over but slower. so I jumped it from a car battery it started easy. I let it warm up and it runs normal turned it off and tried to start again without jumping thinking it would now have a bit more charge in battery but cranking to slow to fire up still starts easy with a jump . I have checked it is charging ok battery connections are clean but I cant find where the other end of earth lead is attached to frame or engine I don’t want to pull the loom around to much as it’s all a bit brittle and crispy. Can anyone point me to it’s location? It probably needs new battery as definitely over 4 years old but it shows 12.4V.

Basically it doesn’t matter how many volts your battery has, you need amps to turn the engine over…. But to answer your question the earth connection is under the battery tray at the top of the engine.

Thank you I will check the earth lead and
order a new battery. I’ve always used exide gel battery’s from motorworks anyone found a better/ cheaper option or place to supply one.

Have a look at tayna.co.uk. If you input your registration it gives you several options at good prices. Motobatt or Exide gel batteries are good options. Odysey agm batteries are also good, though a bit pricier!

If anything was wrong with the terminal how come it worked with a jump?, new battery needed.

As above .. new battery... Leaving modern MC batteries for months without use often wrecks them... We see them and this is the usual "out of hibernation" result... I use mine in the winter and have a motobatt via Tayna on my RT...

Back
Top Bottom