Strange noise after ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed lately that after turning key on and pushing the starter button and bike fires, there is an after squeaky/electric type noise from ( I think) right hand side below tank. It sounds almost like when a car is already running and you try turn the key again. That sort of grhhh noise. Its definitely more pronounced when cold in mornings. Its definitely after ignition and is almost like a connection not being released? Looking to identify it so I can get the part/noise fixed on next service. I don't notice it when bike is warm. Has anyone got any ideas? My guess would be starter motor related issue?

alt belt or bearings ...goes quite after a min or so ?

Not belt. More mechanical. Goes quiet after 1 or 2 seconds. Only when bike cold. Here are 3 videos from this morning. 1 without choke. 1 with choke. Then 1 after 10 minutes of riding. Screech at end of all except the warm start. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yqFeUJu31bLeDe9L7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starter motor.

It sounds tired, possibly the fixed grease retaining plate is starting to come loose. See MikeP's starter motor post in the 1100/1150 tips and info section.

Attachments

• starter motor plate.jpg
    starter motor plate.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Starter motor plate 1.jpg
    Starter motor plate 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 257
Mine was making this noise. I was told the shaft needed greasing on the starter motor. :nenau
I bought a new starter, got Mikeyboy to fit it, and hey presto, no more noise. :thumb2

Fuel pump is on the RH side too... But as above, starter motor is a very likely culprit. Good news is, it's a dead easy job to rejuvenate. Follow Steppers lead

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I won't be rejuvenating it. And Steppers/ any mechanics hourly rate will mean replacement is cheaper than fettling and hoping. If I had my own garage and a second bike, I might faff. But seeing as I don't I'll trust those qualified..And then again, its 20 years old...Some parts are worth replacing at £60

I won't be rejuvenating it. And Steppers/ any mechanics hourly rate will mean replacement is cheaper than fettling and hoping. If I had my own garage and a second bike, I might faff. But seeing as I don't I'll trust those qualified..And then again, its 20 years old...Some parts are worth replacing at £60
You're missing a trick here. I kid you not that in 45min - beginning to end - you can rejuvenate that starter motor (I do not mean brushes and magnet service). But I do I mean removal, Bendix/clutch clean and refitting in 45min.

If it is the starter (which sounds probable) it's very (highly) likely it's just gummed up with dust and grease. And to be precise, I mean the Bendix/clutch mechanism. Really, it's easy and one of those very satisfying jobs.

You'll kick yourself if you just buy a new starter.

Ref the grease plate mentioned by Steppers. If that looks like it is the issue (doesn't sound like it tho). Just remove it. Yes, it has a job but it'll work for years without it! Fix at your leisure

You're missing a trick here. I kid you not that in 45min - beginning to end - you can rejuvenate that starter motor (I do not mean brushes and magnet service). But I do I mean removal, Bendix/clutch clean and refitting in 45min.

If it is the starter (which sounds probable) it's very (highly) likely it's just gummed up with dust and grease. And to be precise, I mean the Bendix/clutch mechanism. Really, it's easy and one of those very satisfying jobs.

You'll kick yourself if you just buy a new starter.

Ref the grease plate mentioned by Steppers. If that looks like it is the issue (doesn't sound like it tho). Just remove it. Yes, it has a job but it'll work for years without it! Fix at your leisure

Or replace. Refurbished at my leisure and sell it on as refurbished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with my 2003 GS in 2007,sometimes the starter would stick, stripped the starter,removed the plate and it has been fine since.
I stripped it again just before Christmas to check on it and all looked good,cleaned it,greased it up and put it back together,good for another few years.
Stripping it the first time is a bit harder as there are a couple of rivets to drill out, but using the guide it is quite straightforward.

I had the same, I took off starter motor ans cleaned all the grease from the bendix which had gone very stiff re greased and no more trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom