850 GSA panel, fuel tank and spark plug removal

Wapping

Reaction score
I share this only in as much as I wanted to take the top panel that goes over the tank on my 850 GSA off. Why? Simply to run a power lead up to the XT navigation device which I want to mount on an aftermarket BMW ‘emergency services’ bar I have installed above the clocks.

There are only four screws that hold the panel on. What I did find was that the cover was a very tight interference fit. I could get the lower (seat) end of the panel to pop off but the front end is really tight. So much so that I was wondering if somewhere there was some additional screws I had somehow missed. Reluctant to just pull at it and possibly break something off, I stopped until I could find a guide on YouTube. Oddly, there wasn’t so much out there but I did find this video which, if I understand it correctly, confirms that (once the four screws are removed) it really is just a tug to get it off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T-581xeAG4k" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That the video also shows how to remove the fuel tank and how get at the spark plugs is just a bonus.

The bloke goes on a bit but you can just say, “Skip a bit, brother” (Monty Python style) and hit the fast forward.

Since this was posted yesterday, I take it for granted that OP has fixed it by now. But for the benefit to anyone else
asking the same question, here goes.

Yes, the cover is only fastened by 4 screws. However, have a look at this picture:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0B09-EUR-07-2019-K81-BMW-F_850_GS_0B09,_0B19_&diagId=46_2053

There are 4 steel clips (#3 in the diagram) that helps to retain the cover in addition to the screws, and also, since the cover embrace the fuel filler, the cover has som notches built in that helps the cover to stay flush with the top of the filler neck.

In spite of all this, what the guy shows in the video is correct, as such. It's a matter of brute force.
Speaking for my self, I do it like this: After the four screws are removed, I start a gentle pull on the cover, starting at the seat-end. Then, as the cover starts to come loose, I slowly move my grip upwards along the edges, slowly pulling the cover loose from the clips.

Don't worry about braking the cover, the required force is far from it, as a gentle but steady force is all that is needed.
When the cover is off, make sure to check that all the steel clips are there (as some of them may hang very loose underneath the cover, and fall off during the handling of the cover).

When installing the cover it takes a gentle push on top of the clips to push the cover down again, and make sure the cover is pushed all the way down prior to securing the screws.

This appears more complicated when reading about it than doing it. After doing it the first time it will be regarded as a piece of cake :aidan

That said, removing the cover for a power cable for the GPS?
A silly question to the OP: (As he probably knows already)
You are of course aware of the connector made for GPS power that is lockated behind the TFT. It's located behind the TFTs lower right hand corner, and it takes some removal of covers to get to it. The subject is described in several posts in the F850 forum (and probably in here as well)

Thank you, knut and for your reply via the 850 GS forum PM. I’ll reply to you later.

I haven’t yet pulled the cover off, simply as I am away from home at the momrnt. Thank you for the advice about the metal clips.

I agree, ripping it off sounds dangerous and is not something I’d normally do. Sometimes, as with some of the panels on my 1600, the panels are a slide fit, so ripping them off just breaks something. That is why I hesitated and went looking for some advice, not least as it is (at the front at least) a very tight fit.

A good question about the power supply. At the moment I am running my phone via the conventional GPS power supply under the beak, mounted on the BMW Connect cradle on the handlebar clamp. I will then have my XT mounted above the TFT screen. I am running both separately as I am doing some beta testing for BMW’s Connected app and, anyway, I like a dedicated GPS device. That explains the need for a separate power supply. At some point, I might just tap into the power supply that runs to the socket on the left side of the dashboard, but that can wait for another day.

I agree, ripping it off sounds dangerous and is not something I’d normally do. Sometimes, as with some of the panels on my 1600, the panels are a slide fit, so ripping them off just breaks something. That is why I hesitated and went looking for some advice, not least as it is (at the front at least) a very tight fit.

I bet this way of thinking has saved you lots of money and lots of aggravation over the years :D :okay

Back
Top Bottom