battery replacement advice please

brummy bloke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went to use my 2019 1250 gsa today after a lay up of about 6 or seven weeks attached to its motorrad trickle charger. initially it started after a couple of attempts then wouldn't start 10 mins later. TFT says low battery. I know that there have been issues with batteries on these bikes and it has played up on several occasions previously. What make of battery have you chaps used as a replacement? I'm after a straight forward swap. I've been on the nippy normans site but their sold out of odessey items. Confused now!

I ordered a battery from https://www.tayna.co.uk/ for my S1000XR - an Exide, direct replacement AGM for the original. Very good service with the battery fully charged and ready to go on arrival.

I don't know the size of the battery for your bike but they will have several options from their own brand at the cheaper end to Odyssey at the pricier end. Exide is in the middle somewhere and a brand I trust.

Was your trickle charger plugged into the socket that goes "dead" after a short period from when the ignition is switched off ?

I've read of a few folks falling foul of that.

Was your trickle charger plugged into the socket that goes "dead" after a short period from when the ignition is switched off ?

I've read of a few folks falling foul of that.

That is on older bikes pre LC where you had to go through a process of opening the CANbus after shut off. if you have an CANbus charger the socket does not go dead.

Went to use my 2019 1250 gsa today after a lay up of about 6 or seven weeks attached to its motorrad trickle charger. initially it started after a couple of attempts then wouldn't start 10 mins later. TFT says low battery. I know that there have been issues with batteries on these bikes and it has played up on several occasions previously. What make of battery have you chaps used as a replacement? I'm after a straight forward swap. I've been on the nippy normans site but their sold out of odessey items. Confused now!

Had this on my 1250RT, apparently the battery is covered by warranty for 3 years. But I bought a new battery for £50. The Exide 12-16 is the same as the OEM battery and more than half the price. Don't worry about the CCA being shown as less, this according to Exide is just BMW measuring the CCA at a different point and it is the same battery.

Buy a mottobat one off ebay.
I have used them for years on many bikes.
They have 2 live and 2 earth terminals as well - great for hooking up accessories.

Remove the packing under the battery and fit the larger Yusa battery.

That is on older bikes pre LC where you had to go through a process of opening the CANbus after shut off. if you have an CANbus charger the socket does not go dead.

no so true my frend, some bike 1250 now have problem even with new BMW charger, charger refuses to maintain battery after first fill up, I see on internet, problem not solve, so owners use bmw charger black model also on battery pigtail connection, and this work, problem is canbus plug.

Had this on my 1250RT, apparently the battery is covered by warranty for 3 years. But I bought a new battery for £50. The Exide 12-16 is the same as the OEM battery and more than half the price. Don't worry about the CCA being shown as less, this according to Exide is just BMW measuring the CCA at a different point and it is the same battery.

I can understand buying the £50 Exide one if yours was out of warranty, but why pay anything if it's still covered by the mothership on a bike that wasn't cheap in the first place?

I fitted a heavy duty Yuasa YTX14H-BS to my R1250GS, spins over better even when colder.

no so true my frend, some bike 1250 now have problem even with new BMW charger, charger refuses to maintain battery after first fill up, I see on internet, problem not solve, so owners use bmw charger black model also on battery pigtail connection, and this work, problem is canbus plug.

My friend, this is only a problem on 20 year and above bikes and its not to do with the CANbus and its not on every bike. I look after a fleet of 1250RTs and all are charged via the CANbus and none have any issues with that way of maintaining the battery. There is a software update coming, but BMW don't know if its their own charger, the fitted tracker or something else. But the Optimate works fine. Even if this is the problem, it has nothing to do with the aux socket switching off, which was an issue on pre LC bikes, where you had to initiate the aux socket for charging after the ignition was switched off.

My friend, this is only a problem on 20 year and above bikes and its not to do with the CANbus and its not on every bike. I look after a fleet of 1250RTs and all are charged via the CANbus and none have any issues with that way of maintaining the battery. There is a software update coming, but BMW don't know if its their own charger, the fitted tracker or something else. But the Optimate works fine. Even if this is the problem, it has nothing to do with the aux socket switching off, which was an issue on pre LC bikes, where you had to initiate the aux socket for charging after the ignition was switched off.

I have optimate 4 on 2017 bike and have no problem, but see below more have problem, so maybe if new firmware come can help, I only post to give head up :beerjug:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-charger-wont-go-to-sleep.1533549/

I have optimate 4 on 2017 bike and have no problem, but see below more have problem, so maybe if new firmware come can help, I only post to give head up :beerjug:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-charger-wont-go-to-sleep.1533549/

In that thread it is a 2020 bike. If you swap from aux socket to pigtail and have an optimal, you need to switch it out of CANbus mode. The issue they are having on some bikes is, something is running the battery down and the charger via the CANbus can not keep it topped up. The safest option seems to be to use a pigtail. But my battery failed and it was nothing to do with maintaining via the aux socket on my 2019 bike, it was showing 12v and would start the bike the first time, but if you then stopped after a short while, the battery struggled to start the bike again. It is fine with the new battery. Although someone on a facebook forum said there was a known fault with starting after you have stopped if you had the clutch pulled in, the bike would struggle to start, but if clutch out it would start ok. Hadn't heard of that one before.

In that thread it is a 2020 bike. If you swap from aux socket to pigtail and have an optimal, you need to switch it out of CANbus mode. The issue they are having on some bikes is, something is running the battery down and the charger via the CANbus can not keep it topped up. The safest option seems to be to use a pigtail. But my battery failed and it was nothing to do with maintaining via the aux socket on my 2019 bike, it was showing 12v and would start the bike the first time, but if you then stopped after a short while, the battery struggled to start the bike again. It is fine with the new battery. Although someone on a facebook forum said there was a known fault with starting after you have stopped if you had the clutch pulled in, the bike would struggle to start, but if clutch out it would start ok. Hadn't heard of that one before.

yes agree I understand swapping mode, I use optimate for many battery so have to swap mode many times, and yes seem problem is on 2020 bike maybe more but only with BMW charger new black or older one, optimate 4 have no problem that I know. :beerjug:

thanks for all the replies Lads, I pulled the plug out of the socket on the bike and put it back in again and within a couple of hours the battery charged up again and started the bike easily. Ive taken the battery off and left it on a shelf not attached it to a charger for the last 2 days and it hasn't dropped charge. I know the bike alarm will sap charge but if its got the trickle charger running should it not be ok? fook knows! I'll put a motobatt on it as suggested and see what happens...newer bikes are a pain in the arse aren't they!

Back
Top Bottom