First time flat battery

i had tracker removed by BMW dealer after replacing battery. 6 days later datatool rang me to say bike is being tampered with. I got the guy on phone to cancel subscription and refund any money owed from 2nd year. He did this straight away and never asked why?

I would like to keep the tracker so will get the BMW battery maintenance charger to plug into the under-seat accessory socket.

beware that it does wakeup to do maintenance some bike are having problem

beware that it does wakeup to do maintenance some bike are having problem

Can you explain what you mean please?
Also, what lead is required for an Optimate 4 to connect via the seat or dash power supply? - thanks.

This is from Optimate's FB Messenger service - I posted it this morning - I think it might help with some of the posts above, and stuff I've read elsewhere about not charging the battery direct as it can affect the bike's microprocessors, hence needing to be charged via Canbus - it seems that's not the case.

Attachments

• Optimate.JPG
    Optimate.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 301
I have an Optimate 4 with canbus charging option. The instructions clearly state that the device will not damage the ECU if the battery is connected to the bike when charging. This applies whether connecting via the accessory socket or direct to the battery.

The Optimate 4 is able to sense if the battery has a load connected. If the battery has a load then the device will bypass using desulphate or deep discharge mode.

If someone has a sulphated or deep discharged battery then they can attempt to recover it with the Optimate 4 by removing the battery from the bike and making sure the device is in normal (non canbus) mode and see what happens. This might explain why some deep discharged batteries are written off as, "the Optimate could not recover it."

I have an Optimate 4 with canbus charging option. The instructions clearly state that the device will not damage the ECU if the battery is connected to the bike when charging. This applies whether connecting via the accessory socket or direct to the battery.

The Optimate 4 is able to sense if the battery has a load connected. If the battery has a load then the device will bypass using desulphate or deep discharge mode.

If someone has a sulphated or deep discharged battery then they can attempt to recover it with the Optimate 4 by removing the battery from the bike and making sure the device is in normal (non canbus) mode and see what happens. This might explain why some deep discharged batteries are written off as, "the Optimate could not recover it."

yes all correct info :beerjug:

On my Data tool app I can see the battery voltage so I put it on charge when it hits 12.5v
Usually about 4 weeks and mine has an alarm on

I have put the battery back in the bike and left it in the garage - It is unlikely that I will get a chance to ride it until next weekend, it will be interesting to see if it starts next then.

If the battery sat discharged long enough during those initial two weeks, it will most probably be damaged. Will recharge quickly, but won’t hold it. They are small batteries. I’d double check it anyway (before getting a battery tender as well) :)

If the battery sat discharged long enough during those initial two weeks, it will most probably be damaged. Will recharge quickly, but won’t hold it. They are small batteries. I’d double check it anyway (before getting a battery tender as well) :)

I'll find out tonight, the bike has been sitting unused since last Sunday.

I'll find out tonight, the bike has been sitting unused since last Sunday.

Bike fired up with no problem tonight, before starting the bike the on screen voltmeter read 12.0V. The battery is probably OK.

Conclusion 1 week OK, 2 weeks not :)

Looks likes a maintenance charger is needed if you have a tracker fitted? - or maybe the on board electronics takes more current than my 2018 bike or the batteries they are fitting now self discharge at a faster rate than the old ones or the battery is on its way out.

Weird.
12.0 is a dead battery.

Maybe the voltmeter is the one that is dead.

I don’t use my bikes that much anymore. Each of them is connected to a battery tender and I stopped having to faff with dead and dying batteries or worrying about non starting bikes during winter.

Weird.
12.0 is a dead battery.

I don’t use my bikes that much anymore. Each of them is connected to a battery tender and I stopped having to faff with dead and dying batteries or worrying about non starting bikes during winter.

Well it fired up the bike with no problem, I ran the engine until the bike was up to operating temperature (to get a bit more charge back into the battery and avoid condensation) the voltage was reading 14.4/5V when the engine was running.

Hopefully it will start in the morning so I can ride it to Sycamore and pick up a BMW maintenance charger.

Weird.
12.0 is a dead battery.

the ON SCREEN voltmeter is not showing the voltage on the battery with no load. The ignition will be on and various modules on the bike will be drawing current.

Back
Top Bottom