Galway Aviemore via Belfast Cairnryan

drimcong

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
is the trip from Galway, Cavan via Belfast to Aviemore doable in mid March?
Usual damp weather, not during frost and ice.
Over on a 11:30 ferry and return on a 15:30 ferry, hoping no immigration shenanigans plus CV19 kerfuffle
Thanx
Cheers Josey

How’r’ya.

In one day?! I’m not sure how you’d manage that in one afternoon.

Are you going out one day and back the next? That's a lot of seat time ... It's doable, but a long day and only if you take the boring roads. Weather will be whatever it will be ... it's Scotland! Plenty of options for stopping en-route if it gets too much.

Not done it myself but a man from Belfast came over in a van on the 1st ferry of the day from NI (not sure which port) to Cairnryan and then up to me in Elgin to buy a bike a couple of years ago. He got back home at just about midnight on the same day.

So it is "do-able" if all flows as you'd like it too.

SteveT

:dragon

Thanx guys, for getting back to me
sorry for the short description of the trip
I was trying to make the distance Galway, Cavan, Belfast, Cairnryan, Aviemore in a day.
Was intending going over on a Tue, Wed. and back about a short week later.
Hoping for normal weather.
With snow and ice, I'll have to cancel the sea crossing and might take a Dublin - Glasgow flight, and bus onward.
The train isn't an option either
Thanx -- Josey

I would recommend you pay a little extra and get a flexi ticket, so no pressure if you miss your intended ferry on the way back. In addition to this if the weather turns bad before you are due to go you can just re book a date further down the line at no extra cost.

I was trying to make the distance Galway, Cavan, Belfast, Cairnryan, Aviemore in a day.

That is one big day. If it were in a car I'd say it can be done, on a bike I'm not so sure.

A few years ago a guy I know booked a trip to Applecross from here on the east of Scotland (Kaybe you may remember Matt, guy with glasses, canny mind his DBF name) in March one year and I said you're insane doing it at that time of year, he got 25 degrees, absolute freak weather, so who knows.

That is one big day. If it were in a car I'd say it can be done, on a bike I'm not so sure.

A few years ago a guy I know booked a trip to Applecross from here on the east of Scotland (Kaybe you may remember Matt, guy with glasses, canny mind his DBF name) in March one year and I said you're insane doing it at that time of year, he got 25 degrees, absolute freak weather, so who knows.

It can be done but you end up a zombie when you get off the bike.

Thanx 'Lads', keep it coming.
I guess I'll chance it if the Arctic isn't moving South, before old age sets in.
I never did the Iron Butt run, so this might be the next best thing.

The Flexi Ticket is a good tip!
Could always stop soon after getting of the ferry, Ayr? onwards next day.
Looking at flights, all are from DUB and early, a trip would involve midnight bus, then train/bus from GLA or EDI.
same on the way back.
By the time I have been bussing, check-in and security in Dublin done, I'm through Belfast.
Nothing from Shannon.
Logan to Inverness not operating.

Thanx Josey

Hmm..from the other side of Ballantrae theyve got SPEC average speed cameras all the way up the A77 to just about kilmarnock ....and they can get you on a bike

So what’s the story with speeding tickets post brexit? I’m on an Irish reg and I get caught by cameras in Scotland? What happens?

If you do decide to stop for the night shortly after leaving the ferry, a nice route North is the ferry over to Dunoon, the A815 running alongside Loch Eck & join the A83 (eastbound) which will take you out at the north end of Loch Lomond . A wee bit longer, but quieter roads and very scenic.

Thanx a mil,
'A815 and the A83', looking into it.
I feel an adventure coming on.
Cheers Jo

If you are going to or stopping over in Scotland

In the Highlands, never ever pass a filling station without filling up. They are few and very far apart.
Remember the prevailing wind comes off the North Sea from the Arctic in Aviemore.
It can be very cold at this time of year.
Went on a long weekend skiing there around 20 years ago.
Never again. Too cold and misty. Have skiied all over Europe and North America. Never was as cold anywhere else.
After first day, sold my pass for half price and went to the Pub. (I am Teetotal)_ On the way home, the rest of the group reckoned I had made the right call.
Be sure to book your accomodation in advance.
It is not like Ireland, where guest houses are plentiful and easy to find.
3 years ago a group I was with went on a pre-booked trip round the Scottish coast.
Arrived in Fortwilliam, absolutely saturated. Just like Ireland only with additional mist.
The so called hotel was a filthy near enough doss house, with the grease running out of the carpets.
We had to stay, there was nowhere else available.
Having given the negatives, it was a fabulous long weekend. Loved the place.

Thanx a mil,
'A815 and the A83', looking into it.
I feel an adventure coming on.
Cheers Jo

Me too, I’m thinking of doing a similar journey to portsoy end of august. At least it’ll be warmer for me!

Back
Top Bottom