R1100GS FD

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmm time to change the FD bearing on my 1100 I knew it was due to be done and when it was away at mikeyboy s getting the gearbox done he mentioned it was sounding/feeling rough..took the FD off last nite but couldn't remove bearing as I couldn't find my thicker cold chisel to work its way up to remove bearing..so it's going to a mates later today n hopefully he'll pull it off an fit the new one on with hydraulic press ,may as well do the tapered one too as it is a bit loose ..no doubt I'll have to get a loan of his internal bearing race puller ..then I'll attempt to measure the shimming as I read they're too tightly shimmed at factory ...once that's done it should last hopefully more than the 20,000 miles that I seem to be replacing them at ...

Hmm time to change the FD bearing on my 1100 I knew it was due to be done and when it was away at mikeyboy s getting the gearbox done he mentioned it was sounding/feeling rough..took the FD off last nite but couldn't remove bearing as I couldn't find my thicker cold chisel to work its way up to remove bearing..so it's going to a mates later today n hopefully he'll pull it off an fit the new one on with hydraulic press ,may as well do the tapered one too as it is a bit loose ..no doubt I'll have to get a loan of his internal bearing race puller ..then I'll attempt to measure the shimming as I read they're too tightly shimmed at factory ...once that's done it should last hopefully more than the 20,000 miles that I seem to be replacing them at ...
Fitted correctly it should last 40,000 miles or more. If fitted incorrectly you will end up with a 'side load' on the main ball bearing and it will last significantly less.

You do not need a press to fit the big bearing! Freeze the bit that the bearing sits on and warm the bearing in the oven and it should just drop on.

You do not need a press to fit the big bearing! Freeze the bit that the bearing sits on and warm the bearing in the oven and it should just drop on.

No need to freeze the “bit the beating fits on” (the output flange) .. just heat the bearing and it will drop onto the flange.. I use and old sandwich toaster I keep in the garage just for heating bearings and gearbox end covers.. you’ll also need to heat the final drive outer cover so the output flange and bearing simply drop into it, you don’t want to press the output flange and bearing into the cover otherwise you load the bearing on one side. Then fit the output flange and cover assembly into the case, then fit the output seal .

No, you don't have to freeze the " bit the beating fits on" (sic) but it may help if you don't get the big bearing quite hot enough to drop on. Up to the person doing the work I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom