New 1250, can "Multifunction Indicator Lights" be coded out ?

Only dangerous IF some “cosy dunt “(your words ironically!) runs into the back of you. I notice you’re in the south (best place for cosy dunts) so we’re probably quite safe up this way but do post a warning if you’re venturing north of Watford any time soon.

Yeah thousands of them sold, and no reports of thousands of accidents, so not that dangerous.
more rear end collisions of vehicles without those indicators. So statistically they are safer

I had a close call myself with one GS with multifunctional indicators. My 2021 doesn't have them.
I came behind a corner, normal speed. There was one slow GS braking already when I saw it, with the rider indicating to turn left (it would be like indicating to turn right in UK). I started to overtake and when my brain finished remembering that it's multifunctional system on that GS and to be careful and look closely, it was too late. I was already in other lane, passing. He started to turn and I still don't know how we didn't colide. We both stopped. It was Sunday, obviously both of us were riding just for fun that day, so no rush. I talked with him and about what happened. He did not have idea about how difficult it can be to see the indicator from the rear while braking. He said he was sure it was safe manouver as he was indicating to turn. Luckily, I was not going fast and if we have had colided, probably nobody would get hurt but we would damage our bikes. In conclusion, I think noone was doing anything wrong. He was indicating before turn, at the speed of almost stopping. I was coming from the rear, the speed well bellow the limit, started to overtake where I was allowed to. It's just that my brain didn't register his indicator.
Opinions devide about this metter and everybody has the right to like those indicators or not.
After what I read on the Net and that one "almost crash", I'm sure if I've had them, they would be replaced, no metter the price.

I had a close call myself with one GS with multifunctional indicators. My 2021 doesn't have them.
I came behind a corner, normal speed. There was one slow GS braking already when I saw it, with the rider indicating to turn left (it would be like indicating to turn right in UK). I started to overtake and when my brain finished remembering that it's multifunctional system on that GS and to be careful and look closely, it was too late. I was already in other lane, passing. He started to turn and I still don't know how we didn't colide. We both stopped. It was Sunday, obviously both of us were riding just for fun that day, so no rush. I talked with him and about what happened. He did not have idea about how difficult it can be to see the indicator from the rear while braking. He said he was sure it was safe manouver as he was indicating to turn. Luckily, I was not going fast and if we have had colided, probably nobody would get hurt but we would damage our bikes. In conclusion, I think noone was doing anything wrong. He was indicating before turn, at the speed of almost stopping. I was coming from the rear, the speed well bellow the limit, started to overtake where I was allowed to. It's just that my brain didn't register his indicator.
Opinions devide about this metter and everybody has the right to like those indicators or not.
After what I read on the Net and that one "almost crash", I'm sure if I've had them, they would be replaced, no metter the price.

So you weren’t paying attention.

That’s the crux

That’s the crux

Surely that comment is not the main point, the point is that the rider in front is doing nothing wrong but has been put in potential danger from the person behind who might misinterpret the BM triple function system in bright sunshine.

Changing the indicator functions may help to reduce this from happening, thus increasing safety of the rider.

Yes I have put weisertechnik triple function indicators on my GS.

Surely that comment is not the main point, the point is that the rider in front is doing nothing wrong but has been put in potential danger from the person behind who might misinterpret the BM triple function system in bright sunshine.

Changing the indicator functions may help to reduce this from happening, thus increasing safety of the rider.

Yes I have put weisertechnik triple function indicators on my GS.
No because the driver behind should be able to see them. The lights aren’t dangerous

We have had the ‘original’ lights for years and loads have been knocked off by people not paying attention.

I’m sure our esteemed colleague from the south knows best but to date I’ve had seven different people comment on difficulty seeing the indicators while the brake light is illuminated. While my mrs only teaches vets for a living so obviously can’t be that smart but two of the others were police driving instructors and one was an hgv driving examiner so one would expect reasonably alert individuals with fairly good observational skills! Oddly enough they all used the word dangerous!

That’s the crux

Well, the problem is right there. I WAS paying attention. If I wasn't, then it would be my fault and I'd have no problem admitting it.
So, as I said, I was paying attention and my quick glance on the lights at rear of that GS registered only bright red lights. Just then I quickly recalled the possible danger from multifunctional GS rear lights but it was not quick enough. And trust me, after 40 years on the road and million of miles ridden and driven, I'm more then careful and experienced.
That said, to avoid any possible problem in the future, whenever I see GS with multifunctional rear lights, I have to remember the way it works and fixate my eyes for a bit longer on them. The only doubt I have is, is that the way it's supposed to be?
And it's not only GS. Today, on bright sunlight I was sitting behind the last model Peugeot 2008 on traffic light. The driver had his foot on the brake all the time and was indicating left. At that situation I had a lot of time because we were all waiting for green light. When I looked at his rear lights it took me some time to notice the indicator. The indicator is just beside the brake light, really close and almost impossible to notice with brake lights on.

Sounds like the rider you encountered wasn't competent, and didn't indicate before braking. Possibly an accident waiting to happen anyway, if he rides that badly.

two of the others were police driving instructors and one was an hgv driving examiner so one would expect reasonably alert individuals with fairly good observational skills! Oddly enough they all used the word dangerous!

And did they explain why. I don't mean did they simply observe that the indicators get washed when braking, did they explain why it might cause an accident?

I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks regarding this issue, they are gone off my bike and replaced with the excellent Weiser Technik system.
Questioning and blaming other riders skills as if they are some sort of super skilled experienced expert is not only insulting it’s a demonstration of naivety.
We ride on roads full of distracted drivers/riders not paying attention and need to do whatever we can to improve our safety, these multifunction indicators are in doubt and the experience of mine was enough to convince me to spend £400.

I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks regarding this issue, they are gone off my bike and replaced with the excellent Weiser Technik system.
Questioning and blaming other riders skills as if they are some sort of super skilled experienced expert is not only insulting it’s a demonstration of naivety.
We ride on roads full of distracted drivers/riders not paying attention and need to do whatever we can to improve our safety, these multifunction indicators are in doubt and the experience of mine was enough to convince me to spend £400.

My feelings exactly.

Whereas not being able to explain why they are dangerous is not?

Followed a 22 plate GSA yesterday and he turned right, I had a job seeing the indicator from behind, with the 3 brake lights all lit up

how many rear end collisions occur every year to vehicles without these new indicators.

I feel that some are missing the point.

In MY opinion the multifunctional indicators can, at a glance, lead to misinterpretation and thus an intended turn being less oblivious for another driver.

This can, in MY opinion, lead to a dangerous situation. Whether one regards the triple function indicators as dangerous is open to one’s own interpretation. I don’t think that they are inherently dangerous but perhaps not as clear as some alternate functional indicators.

However each to their own views on this.

Just have a safe and enjoyable ride.

SMB,

very sensible reply. hopefully 'may' lead to doesn't result in a rear ender for anyone.

just waiting for the weather to pick up to get a decent run using these.

Barry

Sorry for delay yofi I’ve been out all day. The plod lads observation was that as most of us are not always paying 100% attention it’s possible that a rider might fail to notice the flashing indicator as it is very effectively masked by the brightness of its own integrated brake light combined with the brightness of the other two lights. At no point did they suggest the common man’s observational skills are any better or worse than trained riders but more the point that were a rider to panic brake having missed the signals from the combined brake/indicator units they could end up in a tangle with other riders if present or may react instinctively and swerve into the path of oncoming vehicle. I’d agree all hypothetical but possible none the less but I think our fellow member above who has switched to the third party light set up mentioned might have the correct idea. I’m thinking fit those and keep the originals handy for quick refitting should the machine be visiting the dealer and ready to refit when trading in the bike. Would leave you with the third party light to stick on a 1300 if they fit/bmw haven’t abandoned the present set up.

Sorry for delay yofi I’ve been out all day. The plod lads observation was that as most of us are not always paying 100% attention it’s possible that a rider might fail to notice the flashing indicator as it is very effectively masked by the brightness of its own integrated brake light combined with the brightness of the other two lights. At no point did they suggest the common man’s observational skills are any better or worse than trained riders but more the point that were a rider to panic brake having missed the signals from the combined brake/indicator units they could end up in a tangle with other riders if present or may react instinctively and swerve into the path of oncoming vehicle. I’d agree all hypothetical but possible none the less but I think our fellow member above who has switched to the third party light set up mentioned might have the correct idea. I’m thinking fit those and keep the originals handy for quick refitting should the machine be visiting the dealer and ready to refit when trading in the bike. Would leave you with the third party light to stick on a 1300 if they fit/bmw haven’t abandoned the present set up.

Thanks for the reply. I do think it's a very good idea to keep the MFs for when trading in, and especially if selling privately. AtB.

Back
Top Bottom