New 1250, can "Multifunction Indicator Lights" be coded out ?

tw99

Reaction score
I've got a December 2021 build 1250GS which has the "Multifunctional Indicator Lights" option.

This isn't something I'd have picked if I had the choice, and in practice I've found I don't like them at all. I feel there's a risk that other drivers will mistake the always-on front indicators for an actual signal, on a quick glance. Also the rear indicators are not as visible when the integrated brake light is on while signalling.

Does anyone know if there's a way for the dealership to turn this function off so they just work as normal indicators ? Obviously I will also ask when it goes in for the first service, but sometimes forums know things that dealers don't.

Thanks

I do not belive so , it is why I specced normal indicators on my new one

yes is possible, is call cruising light package, they can disable, because some country have different law.

the rear indicators are not as visible when the integrated brake light is on while signalling.

Thanks

There in fact a solution for this, use the indicators in advance of braking. I know that 50% of car drivers only indicate once they've started to brake, but you are on a bike so I'd advise signalling in good time as part of good riding. Problem solved.

And if your're worried about being stationary with brake light on when indicating, well with now having 3 brake lights then whatever jerk is going to tail end you with three brake lights would have sure done that if there was just one.

Regards the front one, I'm not sure that any Honda riders (such as myself) have ever experienced an issue.

A friend of mine has these on his s1000r.
All of us that regularly ride with him agree that they are nowhere near as clear and obvious as the 'conventional ' setup.

A friend of mine has these on his s1000r.
All of us that regularly ride with him agree that they are nowhere near as clear and obvious as the 'conventional ' setup.

I think from a design perspective that's probably true, though the question is does it actually make a material difference? In which case it comes down to aesthetic preference. I discount the argument that they get washed out when braking, however, as if you've indicating that close to indicating then neither system is going to be effective in terms of alerting the driver following to your intentions.

I was told by dealer that the indicators are different .

yes true if you have older bike must have new indicator for option 5AD and 5AF, but if have new indicators option can be disabled by dealer, only problem each country law different and insurance also

Multi Function Indicators

I have a 2022 R1250 GSA ex demo. I'm told by dealers that changing them is not an option, you can get aftermarket ones from Weiser Technik www.weisertechnik.co.uk but they're £440 a set! You can buy front or rear separately although more expensive separately. I think the front are more dangerous as a quick glance from a motorist pulling out may be interpreted as a turn signal!
I am currently waiting for a call back from BMW UK with their comments! Think I know the answer already! I understand these multi-function lights were not accepted in the USA.

Couple of my mates have commented that they’re not clear when we’ve been out. Wonder if BMW will see sense on the “new” GS.

I’ve fitted the Weiser Technik set up to my 21 R1250GS TB. If you use the code in Carl’s ‘Just the way it is’ YouTube videos about these indicators you get a 10% discount. Straightforward to fit, very bright and a vast improvement over the standard multifunction debacle. My front indicators are now very bright white running lights, no need for Denali spots to be seen. The rears are now very bright red running lights and the indicators front and back are just very bright indicators when operated instead the rears being brake/running and indicator all at once.
Well worth the money but a black mark to BMW for causing me to spend £400 to feel safer.

My mate has them on his new R1250GS and they are really shit! I can’t believe they are even legal!:blast

I believe that they are not legal in the states.

Odd, then, that you can configure the lighting package with the amber drls and multi clusters on the us site? I suspect it varies by state.

they are a crap design ,and as said how they ever got passed for uk roads i dont know,have a look at the new xr1000 no tail light /brake light unit as such its all in the indicators.i am sure its all cost cutting,just like new cars and no spare wheel.nuts

I'm doing some homework and considering the Weiser alternatives, as said, not cheap at £440 but then a lot of development has gone into these & they seem well made (and made in the UK) I've been in touch with BMW by phone and they were quite uninterested! Surprise, surprise! Next is to hard copy my supplying dealer and BMW, I'm probably wasting my time but god forbid someone ends up fighting it in court. I'm glad your'e pleased with them, I was impressed on the "Just the way it is" YouTube video.
Anyone who's not happy with these Multifunction Indicators should complain in writing or email to BMW, they'll think we love them otherwise!

Well, i cant see what the fuss is about ??

I had them on the 2022 Rallye loaner i had over Christmas & new year

Quite a lot of other bike riders commented on how bright the set up was, and I could be seen for some considerable distance

They did comment on the fact that the indicators do get a bit washed out,

but if you ride behind many modern cars , Range Rover being one, they have a similar set up, and there still going ;)

Its pretty easy to work out

Indicators = indicators = there is an intent to turn or a signal to other road users

Brake lights = Braking activity is taking place

Brake light's & indicators = Braking activity is taking place & there is an intent to turn or signal other road users

If your still accelerating or not slowing or preparing to slow to something showing brake lights, then a flashing indicator would make sod all difference. ?

Back
Top Bottom