Durham Cathedral and Castle

Jacal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's been on my want to do list for years and I'm hoping to get up there on a ride-out soon, so looking for secure parking for the bike while I walk round this lovely city and: any must do things to see and do while I'm there. I know I won't be able to see much on a days outing but all suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

It's been on my want to do list for years and I'm hoping to get up there on a ride-out soon, so looking for secure parking for the bike while I walk round this lovely city and: any must do things to see and do while I'm there. I know I won't be able to see much on a days outing but all suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

at the bottom of claypath there is two phone boxes ,opposite the gala theatre ,i park there often its free normally places spare.its behind a little bus stop,you can then walk up to the cathedral
oh and if you get time have a ride up to the dli museum .

Thanks for info fizzer, found the two phone boxes on Google Maps and looks like a short walk to the Cathedral and Castle, I'm hoping to have enough time (4-5 hrs) to see both, a quick question where is the DLI Museum and how do I get there? Cheers again for the info.

ok ,come back across the bridge over the river take the 3rd exit at the roundabout and go up the hill under the small railway bridge,300 yards on the right is a turning its down there,,i cant remember you may have to go up to the council offices and come back on yourself .but either way you can walk or go up on the bike ,plenty parking and a lovelly picnic spot too.

Don't spend too much time looking fo the DLI Museum. I believe it closed some years ago. Reports in the local press toward the end of last year mentioned plans to re-open but I don't think it has happened yet which is a great shame

DLI Museum is not going to reopen until 2023 at the earliest.

Cheers guys for info, will take a look tho as it sounds like a good spot for lunch, I'm a Pescetarian so like to take my own food on long runs.
Does anyone know if there's a guided tour of the city, nothing wrong with sightseeing but a bit of info with it makes it all worthwhile.

Cheers guys for info, will take a look tho as it sounds like a good spot for lunch, I'm a Pescetarian so like to take my own food on long runs.
Does anyone know if there's a guided tour of the city, nothing wrong with sightseeing but a bit of info with it makes it all worthwhile.

Have a look here https://www.thisisdurham.com/things-to-do/sightseeing-tours-and-guides/walking-tours

Handy thread this. I've not been to Durham since a visit to the Miners' Gala as a boy! I'll alter that this year. :thumb2

Cheers Pete, some good info, the tour of the Cathedral looks good and a reasonable price 'also' Graeme Logan Blue Badge Guide :beerjug:

DLI Museum is not going to reopen until 2023 at the earliest.

I didn’t know it was reopening!
I used to go there regularly when I was a kid. Loved the place.

I remember going to an exhibition there of Ray Harryhausen models.

Back
Top Bottom