Just spec'd the new Honda NT1100

Lots of cars have CarPlay over Bluetooth. If your NT has the same setup as my ATAT it can connect to your phone via CarPlay or Bluetooth (with Bluetooth functionality being limited to calls and music) but the point being it has the requisite components in place for wireless CarPlay anyway.

I’ve looked at wireless CarPlay dongles but they tend to be on the pricey side, and I’m not that fussed.

Regarding CarPlay not wanting to work without a Bluetooth headset, you just hold the ‘back’ button on the left bar for a couple of seconds and it should then launch CarPlay.

Would on of those tiny little dongles that anything with a USB port into Bluetooth enabled not work. Anything is a bit Otto but most things. JJH

See the famous vlogger Richy Vida has now put a sat nav on his ACT due to Apple car play etc.

https://youtu.be/DGwchEn7r1I

PS the Garmin XT looks rather good :thumb2

I just fitted a Zumo to my Africa Twin because while carplay & google maps is great and you can get by with it, if you want to do some specific routing ie while on tour, it's shortcomings become more apparent. For day to day use it's superb though.

For those who don't want to put a nav on as it has the apple car play functionality, there is an app called my route app, in which you can create specific routes and then use the navigation app to follow said route.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/

Mileage creeping up nicely enjoying the muted burbling type of bimble coming off roundabouts at around 3,000 rpm when you open the throttle. JJH

Another tank full today. 53.3 mpg. Took 20.45 litres but showing 30 kilometres range so Honda claim a 20.4 litre tank and I got 21.5 in before. Magic. Some of that was 2 up. All was with 3 boxes and a fair bit of motorway JJH

5b61f21861b66c4d628eef6f3100c08b.jpg

Great set of bikes above, go on then all, which one would you have :nenau

How can DCT in town be shit. You don’t have to change gear , you can’t stall it and you dont have to piss about doing the Hendon shuffle every time you stop.

True, but you're always in gear with the clutch out, the last bit being key. Personally, and I can't tell you when or why, but if I'm shuffling along maybe in slow moving traffic where you can't filter, I tend to be in 2nd gear on a manual but giving it a slight bit of power then coasting with the clutch in. Not possible to do that with the DCT and it's also possible to find yourself in that speed range in between 1st/2nd gear, whereas on a manual you'd just keep in 2nd and slip the clutch a little for a small burst in momentum. We're really talking niche situations here though, for me 99% of the time it works EVERY time ;)

Would on of those tiny little dongles that anything with a USB port into Bluetooth enabled not work. Anything is a bit Otto but most things. JJH
So apparently it’s not Bluetooth that connects CarPlay it’s wyfi. That’s what I’ve been told. I’m broke after Chicago and buying the bike and changing jobs so farkling will have to wait.

True, but you're always in gear with the clutch out, the last bit being key. Personally, and I can't tell you when or why, but if I'm shuffling along maybe in slow moving traffic where you can't filter, I tend to be in 2nd gear on a manual but giving it a slight bit of power then coasting with the clutch in. Not possible to do that with the DCT and it's also possible to find yourself in that speed range in between 1st/2nd gear, whereas on a manual you'd just keep in 2nd and slip the clutch a little for a small burst in momentum. We're really talking niche situations here though, for me 99% of the time it works EVERY time ;)

So if I read this right, you prefer to be in an uncontrolled situation rather than having a positively engaged gear.
If we look at this from a different angle, that of skid control behaviour, in 2nd gear you transmit less power to the driven wheels. Thats why you use a higher gear.
in the DCT scenario you'll find that once a bike has "learned' how you like to ride, which gear to use isn't an issue.
you're always better off with an engaged gear rather than slipping the clutch.

Another tank full today. 53.3 mpg. Took 20.45 litres but showing 30 kilometres range so Honda claim a 20.4 litre tank and I got 21.5 in before. Magic. Some of that was 2 up. All was with 3 boxes and a fair bit of motorway JJH

Rich bugger ;)

So if I read this right, you prefer to be in an uncontrolled situation rather than having a positively engaged gear.
If we look at this from a different angle, that of skid control behaviour, in 2nd gear you transmit less power to the driven wheels. Thats why you use a higher gear.
in the DCT scenario you'll find that once a bike has "learned' how you like to ride, which gear to use isn't an issue.
you're always better off with an engaged gear rather than slipping the clutch.

I’m saying in slow moving traffic (assuming there’s no filtering option) if the speed is awkward I will sometimes stay in 2nd and use little bursts combined with coasting. Only sometimes, maybe it’s a habit and no-one else does it, but it’s the one key difference I noticed when I moved to a DCT, and yes it has learned my perhaps unusual riding characteristics :thumb2

Did the Hardknott and Wrynose passes on Monday on my day off. I definitely would have preferred a manual over my auto DCT when doing the tricky ascents. So I did just that, I put it in manual.......easy :thumb

Back
Top Bottom