1100 Breva or 1200 Sport?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The time has come.

My youngest (13) is interested in doing some weekends away on the bike so I need a bike that will be suitable for taking him on the back, and which will cope with the necessary luggage etc. He's just 13 but like all 13 year olds nowadays, about 5'9".

It seems to me that the Sport and the Breva are actually quite similar.

My heart says definitely the Sport - for ages I have thought them to be stunning looking bikes and I'd very much like to own one. (2 valve, I know about the 4v issues).

My head says the Breva because for taking said son and luggage, plus my 200 mile trips to Yorkshire, it could be the more practical bike.

Ideally I'd like someone to tell me that the Sport is just as capable of carrying luggage and comfortable enough for a pillion, and that'll be my perfect solution. But I don't want to go looking for a Sport, only to find that it's not really up to the job and regret not going for the Breva.

Ladies and gentlemen, your opinions please!

I had an 1100 Breva for a while. Nice bike two up. I don’t think there is any difference between the two from a passenger/luggage perspective. One advantage of the Sport is the fact it has traditional handlebars so the ergonomics can be tweaked easier. The Breva has R1100R style cast clip ons.

Thanks Mark, that's interesting esp regarding the bars.

I am aware that the name 'sport' does not really reflect the 1200's power delivery, but I am uncertain about the riding position. Does anyone know whether it's as sporty as, say, an R1100RS?

I have a 1200 Sport, great tourer and the rear seat just the same as a Breva, so should be find for your son. My other half is about 5'10" and she tells me that the pillion is amongst one of the most comfortable she's travelled on. Mines a 2 valve and it's a beaut of an engine, with loads of character and torque. I have Guzzi hard cases for mine which really work well and fit nicely on the bike. Mine (and a spare set) are a bit tatty but perfectly functional. I like the looks and slightly tucked back pegs on mine as a comfortable seating position. Reminds me a little of my old Z1000 in the old days with drag bars and rear-sets. Mods to help me (poor old sod of 56) with comfort include tapered Rental bars which have a bit more pull back and a set of Knights Design footpegs which are around 1/2" lower.

Been from here (West Sussex) to Luxemburg / German border in one hit which was absolutely fine, 200 miles to Yorkshire should be a doddle:thumb2.

Vaguely thinking of selling mine actually to help fund a tempting new bike - could be a happy coincidence

I have done what you are intending on a Griso but had to fit footpeg lowering kit to the rears - my friend toured france on his 1200 Sport fully loaded 2 up no probs - the Breva is a nice bike but its a bit of a "porridge" bike compared to the sport

do you want to ride a 12S ? before you buy ....

pre-warn me and i'll get it here .....said the drug dealer.....

this is my 2nd one i've owned , and you can try it out with luggage.

the Breva is a nice bike but its a bit of a "porridge" bike compared to the sport

Absolutely, I agree with you which is why if at all possible I'd really like to opt for the Sport. I don't mind the looks of the Breva but I think the Sport's really special.

do you want to ride a 12S ? before you buy ....

pre-warn me and i'll get it here .....said the drug dealer.....

this is my 2nd one i've owned , and you can try it out with luggage.

That's very kind of you. I will give you a buzz and perhaps meet next week if the weather's kind. :thumb2

OK, that's Aggies afternoon blast done. I've owned 2 1100 Breva's and 2 1200(2 valve) sports. For me it would be the sport everytime. The Breva is a nice bike, but IMHO the sport is a bit nicer. The bikes are very similar, in fact I believe the sports full title is the 1200 Breva sport. Although it says sport in the title, it's certainly not a sport bike and is all-day comfortable.
Slightly more tucked than the 1100 but definately not racy and you could always add bar risers. For me the 1200 2 valve engine is a much nicer engine than the 1100 and it looks fabulous, a proper lump. Handling is slightly nicer on the 1200, which may or may not be down to the riding position.

My old 1200(which I actually owned twice) is for sale at Teasdales motorcycles in Thirsk. It's a lovely bike and to be honest I think you'd be pushed to find a better 2Valve 1200 sport. Panniers are with it. Give me a PM if I can help any further and good look with your search and future trips with your lad.
Steve.

Thanks Steve, I was aware you'd owned both so your perspective is very valuable.

Well this is looking peachy - net step will be a visit to Baldrick via the hobnobs shop. :beerjug:

Guzzi 1200 Sport

I'm all ears!

Hi Paul - This idea has come as a surprise to me over the last day or so as I'm rather attached to the Sport, but was just pondering various bike ads (as you do) and saw something rather splendid.... in my eyes at least.

My bikes an '08 reg black and white 2 valve Sport. It's really low mileage as the original owner was Italian and seemed to not be in the UK very much.
It has only around 7,500 - 8000 miles on it now. Pretty standard apart from a Mistral silencer which I've fitted very recently. I did all the oils around September and only put a couple of hundred miles on it since, so its nicely set up for when the weather gets warmer. I'm looking for around 4.2k for it, which seems about right.

I'm Crawley way so happy for you to come and have a look sometime if you fancy

I'm really new to the forum (actually drawn in by Guzzi content in that came up in a search) so not sussed out yet whether I can Private Message you. Hopefully I can and will drop you a few more lines about the bike and some pictures (If I can work out how to upload).

Just a thought if you are tall - I had a Breva 1100 as a courtesy bike for a week sometime ago, found it quite cramped in the leg and the bars were too close so that overall I felt I was sitting hunchbacked. Maybe I am an awkward shape, 6ft 2 with 32 inch inside leg and long (ish) arms. Others said the same to me when they tried the bike at the time and I have heard other riders comment on this, so perhaps swing a leg over one if you can.

Looks like Xsgrahams could be a really nice bike and a reasonable price. One thing to look out for on all the CARC model Guzzi's is the seizing of suspension linkages and swing arm bearings. They where notorious for leaving the factory with very little grease. Also, be sure to check the clocks closely, they have a tendency to let water in and pack up.

There are companies that specialize in furbishing the clocks and the swing arm bearing are not to bad to replace, there are quite a few "how to's" on line.

Of the 8 Guzzi CARC models I have owned 6 have needed attention to the swing arm bearings and suspension linkages.

He is asking a bit over the odds at Teasdales for my old bike, but it's a very sorted bike with no issues.

Thanks Steve. I had read about the clicks but was unaware of the suspension issues.

I did follow the story of your bike - it's definitely a great bike but my budget's quite limited at the moment so I'll need to aim a bit lower.

Back
Top Bottom