`DENALI CAM SMART

GedJack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m thinking of putting a cam smart on my 1250 GS. Together with the spots and the rear brake light.
I already have the BMW spots fitted and I’m aware they aren’t compatible. Is the Denali set up worth the upgrade ?

Depends on your needs… if you ride a lot at night then I’d say yes, make the investment. If you are looking just to have additional lights with the EZcan functionality etc then do what I did and get a set of lights from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed Hex EzCan (that is basically the same as CanSmart, just different name) as soon as I got my new bike. Of all of the extras (and there is a ton of them) on my bike, EzCan is the most important. My first idea was just to have Aux lights connected to it. Your bike has light ambient sensor that is located on the dash. EzCan (CanSmart) reads the output of that sensor. It is done automatically, you don't have to do anything. So, I connected my LED Aux lights to one channel and programmed it to dim the lights at night to 30%. It works perfectly.
Next step was to add rear brake light. I purchased one from Denaly and connected it to the second channel and programmed it to be on all the time at 10% of its power and 100% when brakes are applied. Next, I purchased a pair of strong little spot LED lights for High Beam. Connected them to the 3rd channel and programmed it to be High Beam. At the same channel connected my garage remote. I short-soldered the button on the remote and remove 12V battery from it, connecting 12V coming out of the 3rd channel. So, when I want my garage to open, I just blip the High Beam switch and it opens. I left the remote under the rear seat, wrapped good in electrician tape.
Then, my bike has only USB connection on the dash and DIN connector is by the rear seat. As my Garmin GPS has DIN connector, I purchased DIN plug and the bracket from Wunderlich and installed it on the left side of the dash. Not to splice into the bike's wiring, I connected it to 4th channel of my EzCan, programmed to have the power while the ignition is on and to cut the power 20 seconds after the ignition was switched off..
That is just the setup I use. As for the rest, there are so many options for what the unit can do. I would like more output channels as I have extra horn connected to OEM horn but would be happier if it was connected to my EzCan as one channel can be programmed to be a horn. Also, you can determine how much load you want to use on each channel so no fuses are needed. The unit itself serves as the fuse for each channel and will cut the power if short or overload was detected.

I think so - but I guess it's a personal choice!

I didn't have BMW Aux Lights, but I added a EZCAN and Denali D4, and the Horn (not the Mini horn, the big bertha!).

A couple of things I really like...:
1. I run the Denali's on 20% brightness during the day. I find it really works well with the LED "C" in the GS's daytime-running mode. I followed my brother (in his car) a while back, he said it was really good for visibility. When I flashed my headlight at him (to advise I was turning off) he said the "full blast" of the BMW standard LED headlight, plus the two Denali's on 100% was really really eye-wateringly bright!
2. I have mine wired so the Denali goes dim when I use the indicator (just the side that's flashing). Personally I like this (for the same reason I and other DON'T like the new turn signal/brake light on the rear of the new bikes). In my opinion this is a valuable bit of safety to make sure my indicator is clearly seen.

See 12:38 onwards here
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IS2fzE2zENI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you see there's also a load of gimicky stuff you can do with the config too (I haven't bothered)

On my Guzzi V85TT I bought some cheapy LED's off ebay. After a long winter ride in foul weather and the much-needed wash after, one of the cheapy chinese lights filled with condensation and packed in. "buy cheap buy twice" I guess... So I have ordered some Denali S4 for my Guzzi (NEC bike show special discount!!!) as well :rob

I’m thinking of putting a cam smart on my 1250 GS. Together with the spots and the rear brake light.
I already have the BMW spots fitted and I’m aware they aren’t compatible. Is the Denali set up worth the upgrade ?

Ditto here. Can't make up my mind to get D4's or the new D3's...... Above all else I want Daytime visibility. We will see, good luck with you research, do let us know how you get on......cheers Tony

I think so - but I guess it's a personal choice!

I didn't have BMW Aux Lights, but I added a EZCAN and Denali D4, and the Horn (not the Mini horn, the big bertha!).

A couple of things I really like...:
1. I run the Denali's on 20% brightness during the day. I find it really works well with the LED "C" in the GS's daytime-running mode. I followed my brother (in his car) a while back, he said it was really good for visibility. When I flashed my headlight at him (to advise I was turning off) he said the "full blast" of the BMW standard LED headlight, plus the two Denali's on 100% was really really eye-wateringly bright!
2. I have mine wired so the Denali goes dim when I use the indicator (just the side that's flashing). Personally I like this (for the same reason I and other DON'T like the new turn signal/brake light on the rear of the new bikes). In my opinion this is a valuable bit of safety to make sure my indicator is clearly seen.

See 12:38 onwards here
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IS2fzE2zENI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As you see there's also a load of gimicky stuff you can do with the config too (I haven't bothered)

On my Guzzi V85TT I bought some cheapy LED's off ebay. After a long winter ride in foul weather and the much-needed wash after, one of the cheapy chinese lights filled with condensation and packed in. "buy cheap buy twice" I guess... So I have ordered some Denali S4 for my Guzzi (NEC bike show special discount!!!) as well :rob

Thanks for that as i now know what that rear light (That i can't get to work) on my 1200lc is for! Just need to get an EZCAN module to enable it.

cheers.

Ratty :beerjug:

I am just doing that now.

Cansmart coupled with a set of d3s and d4s and a sound bomb.
I am also wiring in the INNOVV k3 into the cansmart.

I haven’t gone for the rear light as the 21 bikes rear lights are bright enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto here. Can't make up my mind to get D4's or the new D3's...... Above all else I want Daytime visibility. We will see, good luck with you research, do let us know how you get on......cheers Tony
I went with the ezCan (they make the Denali Can Smart as noted) and used Clearwater Darlas with amber lens for conspicuity, much more noticeable than just extra white lights, not sure if running amber lens all the time is legal in Europe?

One thing I really like about the ezCan is you can program your extra LEDs to strobe briefly when you use the horn, so you get both a flash of lights and horn with one push of a button.

Back
Top Bottom