Well, that was an education!

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had 2 traction control incidents today.

My previous GS/traction control experiences have been shite to say the least. I always found it to be similar to the HT leads being pulled, overly intrusive and very unpleasant.

Well today I had it cut in twice and can happily report that it is fantastic. Little bit of spin and the bike sorts it out without any real un-natural feeling, very similar to the XR I rode.

Anti wheelie is still toss :thumb2

Modern electronics can be really good & it's getting better too..

Last year coming through some mountain hairpins, I looked up, whilst leaning right in, to make sure it was clear ahead of the car I wanted to accelerate and over take, As I opened the throttle the bike seemed to re-align, it was only then I noticed id ridden over a line of fine sand/gravel and the back wheel lost traction. I completed the over take but was well aware the bikes Electronics saved me. Very confidence inspiring.

Similar story, rode over a manhole cover whilst accelerating from a local junction, I think it must have been frosty as I must have ridden over it many times before, the bike fixed itself quicker than I could have done. This feature works well imo.

You are all talking bollocks - too much intervention spoils the ride.

Although, it did cut in when I was riding one lightly frosted morning when I forgot that the road surface on bridges can be a few degrees cooler than the approach and exit, and therefore icy...

You are all talking bollocks - too much intervention spoils the ride.

Although, it did cut in when I was riding one lightly frosted morning when I forgot that the road surface on bridges can be a few degrees cooler than the approach and exit, and therefore icy...

So it would have been better and a "real" ride if you'd slid down the road on your cylinder ? :blast

I was taking the piss - I'm a fan of tech.

I was firmly in the other camp until I rode the XR, that totally changed my perception of what electronics could achieve when done properly.

I slated the early Electronics on GS’s, they were awful and did ruin the ride completely.

Seems like they have finally sorted their shit out though because it’s almost seamless now, I am a convert :okay

I am a convert :okay

Me too.

As previously mentioned. If I didn't have effective TC, I'm pretty sure the bike would have slipped from under me - however, it did kick in quickly and saved me from a spill.

what do you do when ....the electronics fail mid corner whilst they are engaged ? .....happened to a man i know on his rsv4 , charging system was failing , TC turned itself off , mid corner .... Big crash followed , bike cartwheels down the road . he got off with some ribs and bumps.

what do you do when ....the electronics fail mid corner whilst they are engaged ? .....happened to a man i know on his rsv4 , charging system was failing , TC turned itself off , mid corner .... Big crash followed , bike cartwheels down the road . he got off with some ribs and bumps.

And the odds of the electronics failing mid corner at that specific moment in time are what exactly? I'm not disputing your above scenario, if you say it happened, it happened, but in reality lets face it, your'e more likely to get hit by a drunk driver!

Theres always one ......
I had a friend that one day went blind. And because of that, I do not ride any more .

the only scares i've had so far are with the front letting go which traction control doesn't fix. maybe i'm just a crap rider.

The traction control on My HD Pan America is excellent. I've only had it cut in once that I could tell and it was extremely smooth and seamless.

There can be a downside.

I had the front wheel lose traction, at low speed, on a bend and the traction control kicked in. It wouldn't let me open the throttle to pick the bike up so it went down. There was gravel and you see how the tc had braked the rear wheel in small 'steps' to gain control of the front. That was a £4000 off. Plus dislocated shoulder, two years to repair.

But TC is good in most situations. I probably would have cocked things up anyway.

Complicated electronics on an Italian bike. What could possibly go wrong?:D

Back
Top Bottom