F650 Dakar chain tensioner cover cracked

Mikef650

Reaction score
Hi, my drive chain tensioner cover cracked today. Stuck it with glue and gaffer for now but am
After advice on if I can ride the bike without it or if I’ll need to get a replacement?

It’s the cover at the end of the swing arm. Went to tighten the adjuster and the cover fell off. Will
Send a pic once I’ve figured out how to.

A temporary fix would be a piece of steel plate with 8mm? hole or even a big washer to prevent the axle potentially shifting forward.
Good idea to periodically clean the threads and apply grease or copper slip.
As long as your axle is tight enough you could always use the bike until the broken parts replaced.
Try Motorworks or ebay for a 2nd hand one.

The chain tensioner seems to be secure. Looks like it’s just the cover that’s broken. Sadly, the glue didn’t hold.
9a69e2de3d144e77aa7993a06e94fe4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chain tensioner seems to be secure. Looks like it’s just the cover that’s broken. Sadly, the glue didn’t hold.
9a69e2de3d144e77aa7993a06e94fe4f.jpg

So from this photo you can see why a temp fix is anything roughly the right size that will lock up against the box section of the swing arm and not foul the sprocket bolts.

That’s what I figured. I’ve ordered a new cover but in the meantime, is it a case of just unscrewing the adjuster to remove the adjuster?. Then fIt a plate or washer to secure it? I’ve not removed the adjusters before and can’t find info in the manual.

I would taken the wheel out then remove the adjusting block to clean up and grease/copperslip.
Do the other side while your at it.
It'll all become clear at that point.

I’ve done a temporary fix for now and will be changing the chain and sprockets soon so will clean it up then. Thanks for the advice:)

I’ve done a temporary fix for now and will be changing the chain and sprockets soon so will clean it up then. Thanks for the advice:)

How many do you want? Stacks here if required.

Back
Top Bottom