F800R or Tracer 700?

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a section for the F800R/F800S/F800GT etc so I hope this is OK in here.

I'm considering a 2018 F800R and a 2017 Tracer 700 and it's finely balanced. Similar mileage (below 8k), similar price (both private sale). The BM is pretty bog standard, heated ggrips and luggage rack and that's about it. It's a crappy advert so not even sure if it has ESA and TC yet. I'd rather do without ESA (less to go wrong) but could live with it.

Yam has a host of extras (Hagon shock, upgraded fork springs, belly pan, touring screen, Akrapovic full system, crash bars, spotlights, all original kit too, some other stuff).

BM slightly quicker (?), decent handling out of the box without needing tweaked, Yam has all the bits I would be likely to ever need. I like the looks of both.

Just wondered what the collective might think, if anything, ideally from those who have owned one (or ideally both).

I have ridden both. In my opinion the Yamaha engine is way more engaging and fun.

The quality of switchgear etc is better on the BM.

Strongly suggest getting a ride, if possible, on each to see which one you like.
Only caveat on the Tracer would be that the Hagon shock and the upgraded fork springs are built for the weight and riding style of the current owner and might not suit your weight and riding.

The Tracer has all the original parts with it, go for that. When you come to sell it, put them back on and sell the aftermarket stuff separately. Must be a grands worth there, Akra, Hagon etc etc. That will make it a cheap bike. Plus the Tracer 700 engine is bomb proof, and a bit characterful, same as in the T700 and a few others. The Beemer has a Chinese made engine I believe. A lot of people swear by it, but many wouldn’t touch Chinese. Up to the individual I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I have ridden both - BM years ago, can't remember what it was like but it must have been at least ok as it didn't put me off owning one. Yamaha I've ridden more recently, very easy to get on with. I made the mistake of riding the Yamaha on the same day as a 790 Duke. Although the test route for the Duke was rubbish and loads of traffic, it still felt pretty lively. Maybe not v fair on the popular Yamaha.

I was just wondering about 'real world' ownership views on the off chance. I thought there might have been more love for the BMW :nenau

The Tracer I had in mind has gone now anyway :blast Another to add to the bikes I should have bought. Judging by prices for 790 Dukes I should have bought the one I test rode. I liked the bike but the switchgear felt flimsy even though only 2 years old and 4k miles and there does seem to be a lot of electrickery waiting to go wrong.

I might put a wanted ad up ...

I owned a Tenere 700 and a 790 Duke at the same time, you are comparing apples with oranges if you rode the tracer 7 and the duke together. The Duke is fierce compared to the Yam engine, feels like it needs to be revved hard all the time, which is fine if that's what you want.

My wife had a tracer 700 and I rode it a fair few times. Great engine, fantastic fuel economy and comfy too.

Fit and finish held up well, suspension was ok, but definitely budget and could be easily improved on.

Handle very well and very predictable.

A KTM may well be more powerful etc, but KTM are cnuts for what they did to Husaberg, so I’ll never buy one out of principle.

For the record, I've just bought another new KTM :D
For the record he'll still have his finger up his arse in another 3 yrs time trying to deliberate between this or that as opposed to just dipping his hand in his wallet and ponying up the moolah.
By the time he buys a bike they'll have been banned :aidan

For the record he'll still have his finger up his arse in another 3 yrs time trying to deliberate between this or that as opposed to just dipping his hand in his wallet and ponying up the moolah.
By the time he buys a bike they'll have been banned :aidan

My NCB will be two years old in April so got to buy something before then :blast Can't be giving too much moolah to da insurance man.

My NCB will be two years old in April so got to buy something before then :blast Can't be giving too much moolah to da insurance man.
Tight arse!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Tracer has all the original parts with it, go for that. When you come to sell it, put them back on and sell the aftermarket stuff separately. Must be a grands worth there, Akra, Hagon etc etc. That will make it a cheap bike. Plus the Tracer 700 engine is bomb proof, and a bit characterful, same as in the T700 and a few others. The Beemer has a Chinese made engine I believe. A lot of people swear by it, but many wouldn’t touch Chinese. Up to the individual I guess.

The F800R (and F800GS, F800GT/ST and of course the 650/700 variants) engine is NOT made in China it's a Rotax engine.... the 850/900 series engines are built in China

Back
Top Bottom