Shoei GT Air 2 with Cardo Packtalk bold?

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Both Mrs vee5 and myself have decided to buy Shoei GT Air2s, and we'll also take the opportunity to replace ye olde intercoms.

It's currently a toss up between the integrated Sena SRL comms, or Cardo Packtalk bold. It looks like the Packtalk runs some quite big JBL speakers - has anyone fitted a packtalk bold to their GT Air2 and can confirm the speakers fit into the recesses OK?

I only need the comms to link the two of us together (she has her own bike) and to pick up voice prompts from my Garmin 660 (I might also upgrade this to a Garmin XT but that's a separate decision process). We don't listen to music whilst riding so not bothered about fandango speakers, just want clarity for voice. It also sounds like the Cardo might just edge the Sena for voice commands (after updating language preference to UK english), which I am interested in so I can answer the phone whilst riding.

Also (perhaps crucially) we don't need, or want, to patch into larger groups using mesh so all we'll be using is bluetooth.

TBH I'm torn between the SRL or the Packtalk bold, Having spent hours trawling youtube videos there are definitely pros & cons for both, and I don't think either is a bad option. Although I like the idea of not having an external unit if I buy the the SRL, the Cardo is just edging ahead at the moment as it's IP67 waterproof (not so with the Sena) and the Cardo seems to have a superior wind noise algorithm.

Words of wisdom gratefully received !

I had a Packtalk when it first came out and it was crap.
Would often fail to connect and was rubbish at voice commands.
Admittedly we were trying to pair about 4 of us but you’d ask it to play music and it would page your mate etc.
Luckily the battery failed 11 months in to ownership so I sent it back and got a full refund.
As I’d had a Neotec , I bought a Neotec 2 with SRL and it was brilliant.
So got one for the wife and we also have J Cruise 2s with SRL and I have a GT Air 2.

All are pretty foolproof.
The intercom between 2 helmets is fabulous and so easy to use.
You can leave it live and it will let you play music unless you talk and then music stops to enable intercom.
Just don’t forget it’s on and start singing along !

I also love the integration so it’s hidden.

Others will be along shortly to tell you how utterly amazing the Packtalk is.
But I’d go the SRL route all day long !

As with Martin above, I had Packtalk Bold with the JBL speakers, but didn't really get on with it, didn't like the 'lump' on the side and have changed to 2 x J Cruise2 with the built in SRL and it seems to do the job, but no extended use yet.

They will fit any helmet to be fair, just depends if you have to start fiddling with the foam etc. I've just fitted the JBL to a Arai Tour 4-X without adjustment and it's perfect.

I despised the lump, but quite simply, it's a great system, which has worked flawlessly for me after binning the Schuberth Sena comms. But, you'll read mixed reports and it seems everyone has a good and bad experience with them all.

That all said, I've not answered your question, at all :D

The 40mm speakers fit easily into the recesses in the GT Air 2 helmet with no problem.
The biggest problem I had was finding a good position for the unit/mount, as the blank for the integrated system is just where the Packtalk should go.
No problems with using the unit atall, works as it should.

The 40mm speakers fit easily into the recesses in the GT Air 2 helmet with no problem.
The biggest problem I had was finding a good position for the unit/mount, as the blank for the integrated system is just where the Packtalk should go.
No problems with using the unit atall, works as it should.

Thanks, very useful, especially the problem with positioning a packtalk on the GT Air2 - that would probably really annoy me - did you have to mount it so far forward it got in the way of the visor mechanism?

That all said, I've not answered your question, at all :D

Well observed Craig :beerjug:

IMHO if everyone on forums stuck to answering the question that had been asked there wouldn't be much to read on forums and everyone would get on famously :hippy, rather than taking every thread as an opportunity to aggressively take offence about others holding a different opinion to them :comfort :D:D:D

I have the neotec 2 with the Sena SRL. So the flip lid version of the full face GT Air 2 and I don't use the bike to bike comms bit, but the volume is ok for me listening to music to, and the speakers don't press into my ears. Microphone doesn't get in the way either. It looks "right" as there's no blob on the side of the helmet. Battery lasts all day, even though I'm listening to music all the time (it masks my tinnitus). As the guts of the Sena is hidden away, it would be hard for it to get soaked, not been a problem for me. Hope this is of some help

Thanks, very useful, especially the problem with positioning a packtalk on the GT Air2 - that would probably really annoy me - did you have to mount it so far forward it got in the way of the visor mechanism?

Packtalk is mounted just behind the blank. I turn the unit on before putting my helmet on, then everything is done using voice command or the app.

Attachments

• 20220125_092457.jpg
    20220125_092457.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 3,383
Packtalk is mounted just behind the blank. I turn the unit on before putting my helmet on, then everything is done using voice command or the app.

Each to their own but it does seem crazy to me to mount a carbuncle like that when the helmet is designed with seemless built in comms !!

Each to their own but it does seem crazy to me to mount a carbuncle like that when the helmet is designed with seemless built in comms !!

Thanx for the photo Ian, that certainly shows it's not easy to squidge a pactalk onto the GT Air2 ! This is all pushing me towards the SRL as it does seem like a wasted opportunity to not take advantage of having it all built in. If only I hadn't previoulsy concluded the packtalk was a better unit for my requirements. Hmmm :duno

I think the choice of coms depends on your needs. If it's just rider to passenger or one or two others then bluetooth is great. I went for the Packtalk with mesh system as most of our riding group had them, and connection is very easy and reliable.

I may be wrong but I believe the mesh mode for intercom even if just 2 using is better and more reliable than bluetooth. I have neotec and packtalk.

I have a Neotec 2 and Sena SRL , looks designed for the helmet and you wouldn't know it was there apart from volume controls on the side...all works fine for music and also comms and nav

Back
Top Bottom