What mileage do people typically declare when getting a quote?

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Insurance renewal time. Hastings put their premium up 50% so started looking elsewhere. 2020 and 2021 did not travel very far for obvious reasons however hope to travel more in 2022. Question is what to declare, does it make much of a difference and how do they check? Do you generally err on the side of declaring more than you in need just in case? Thanks in advance

I err on the side of quoting more, typically 10,000 p.a. In the past it has been higher, 12,000 p.a. It's been less for the past couple of years because I haven't done my normal European trips.

a realistic estimate but they aren't going to expect you to be precise. They might ask for evidence such as MOT or service records should you make a claim.

If you cannot be sure, then over-estimate but you might end up with a higher premium. It's very easy to adjust the parameters on something like MCN Compare or Moneysupermarket to see the impact on your premium.

I usually give a figure of 5,000. I’m not riding anywhere near as much as I used to .

If you want to know what premium difference it makes, ask them or use an online comparitor.
Declare what you do...or expect to do.
You really don't want to start defrauding an insurance company in order to possibly only save ten or twenty quid, and there might not be any difference anyway....it's a declaration remember, not an estimate.
If you find yourself very near to what you stated, just inform them (or disconnect your speedo :D).
If they want to check, they'll only realistically do it via an MOT history check.
I've got unlimited mileage on most of my bikes insurance schedules and it didn't incur any extra charge.

Ask them to quote for different milages.
I normally declare more than what I do. Small differences don't affect the quote.

With previous insurer I used to declare 3k miles a year for HP2 and DRZ (they do less) and 10k on the GS.
Now with BeMoto, they only want one figure for all the bikes, so 10k (each). Just an excess if you go over.

I tend to include commuting too. I walk/cycle to work, but just in case I take the bike every once in a while...
Never affected the premium that much apart from this year: 3.5k instead of 1.3.
Didn't include it for this year of course. :D

With mileage being recorded on Electronic mot’s I would be realistic with your estimate. If you anticipate doing 5k state 6 then you are covered. As others have said don’t START by defrauding the insurer, it can only end badly.

If your bike isn't subject to an MOT then I have to wonder how any insurance company would know how many miles you cover annually

Just be clear if are they asking for an estimate, or are they planning on giving you a limited mile policy. There is a difference. You do need to be honest, but I would argue that estimate would be the middle of my top and lower expected mileage, so 50% of the time I would go above it by a (reasonable) amount.

I once ended up with a limited mileage policy when I have been asked for an estimated mileage. I complained and they checked the telephone call, and removed the limit.

I over declare my average mileage every year. Usually, state 15 thou as i tour Europe a lot. I usually hit between 12-13 thou every year. In the last 2 years, I've only coved 5000 due to lockdown. The difference i found is only £5 more per year for 15 thou compared to 10 thou.

If your bike isn't subject to an MOT then I have to wonder how any insurance company would know how many miles you cover annually

it also doesnt tell them how many miles you have done. just the bike ;)

With mileage being recorded on Electronic mot’s I would be realistic with your estimate. If you anticipate doing 5k state 6 then you are covered. As others have said don’t START by defrauding the insurer, it can only end badly.

why thats the distance the bike travels, not you.

there is nothing wrong with lending the bike to your mate, who insures it, or rides on his insurance all round the world and gives it back to you, to do your 3k.

there is nothing wrong with lending the bike to your mate, who insures it, or rides on his insurance all round the world and gives it back to you, to do your 3k.

Really not sure that's how it works.
I assume they will also use the milage to calculate depreciation of the vehicle.

Really not sure that's how it works.

simple the insurer, does not cover that bike when ridden outside of your agreement, so its none of their business.

The question is usually how many miles will you be doing on the bike.

I over declare my mileage at 10000 but on an average I do 8000 so it’s a little buffer and as I only use the bike on weekends and holidays I think it’s enough for me and besides I am only paying 120 insurance

Back
Top Bottom