Key ignition issues

B Mike W

Reaction score
Hi All,

2009 GSA1200

A new, intermittent problem here. I have had a quick search on the topic and didn't find anything relevant

When I insert and then turn my key to then start the bike - 1 of 3 things may happen......

A) Sometimes nothing happens (and the bike wont start)
B) Sometimes the only clock comes on (and the bike wont start)
C) Sometime the correct starting bootup happens (and the bike starts as it should).

If A or B happen, all I need to do is turn the key to off and then to on again and eventually we get to the correwct scree. The annoyance is that it can take 6 or 7 attempts.

I gave the chamber a little WD40 (fixes everything right) but little if any difference.

Any other ideas welcome?

Mike

It was a well known problem at the time, my GSA did it.

WD40 does nothing.

The ignition switch wears, displaying exactly your symptoms. The only completely reliable remedy is to replace the switch. The switch’s cover is held on by security bolts, which (unless you have a suitable extractor) will need to be ground off. If the problem has happened before, there is a reasonable chance the security bolts have already been replaced with conventional Allen head bolts, which will speed the job no end. It’s an easy job for a BMW dealership to fix.

Mend it by replacing the switch, as it won’t get any better on its own. The switch will eventually fail completely.

Here’s a sample thread: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/299937-Replacing-Ignition-Switch

Ignore the bit about spraying with WD40 (it along with Gaffer tape is not the universal cure for everything) and just replace the bloody switch.

As others have said

Its not the key,/ barrel

but the switch unit at the bottom of the ignition pack

If its an early / unpotted unit, you may get luck with a strip and clean of the microswitches

If it' a potted unit its a replacement unit

May be worth checking that you don't have EWS displayed on the kombi/cluster when this happens

If that's the case, its more than likely a broken wire in the headstock area. Again another common problem with an easy fix

Thanks guys, I'll get a Micro Switch today and get it fixed over the weekend...

Thanks guys, I'll get a Micro Switch today and get it fixed over the weekend...

If I remember correctly the switch can be removed from below with a long extension bar and the correct security torx bit. The one with the pin in the middle. 10 minute job.

I had the same issue with mine last year, blasted it with contact cleaner and it has been fine since. Fingers crossed….

Back
Top Bottom