East coast villages

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to the Dent event in May and thought I may as well head south a few days early and see some new (for me) places. The east coast seems a good place to start.

Any villages recommended? Ideally with a campsite within a mile or two and a pub. I might continue down to Norfolk area since that's mainly foreign to as well and looks varied on the map.

I'm planning on going to the Dent event in May and thought I may as well head south a few days early and see some new (for me) places. The east coast seems a good place to start.

Any villages recommended? Ideally with a campsite within a mile or two and a pub. I might continue down to Norfolk area since that's mainly foreign to as well and looks varied on the map.

Filey !

North Norfolk is love;y but be warned it takes along time to get into - I know one looks at a map and thinks justhead down the east coast but trust me it isnt that easy and is very time consuming for the actual miles travelled

Even going the fastest route for us a 150 Mile journey door to door can take 6 hours or more ( in the car) although 4 is more usual. the first 90 miles takes a little over an hour the next 60 miles takes at least 2 or 3 on a good day

Dent & Norfolk don't really fit well - too much slab time & then slow progress as RedRick suggests. Cromer, is the main resort & very 19c, but we prefer to stay around Sheringham, Cley or Blakeney. Otherwise, try the Broads.

Better though, how about that wonderful NE coast - Beadnell Bay, Alnwick.

If Northern Jock sets off now then getting down to Norfolk should not be a problem...........

Dent & Norfolk don't really fit well - too much slab time & then slow progress as RedRick suggests. Cromer, is the main resort & very 19c, but we prefer to stay around Sheringham, Cley or Blakeney. Otherwise, try the Broads.

Better though, how about that wonderful NE coast - Beadnell Bay, Alnwick.

Yeah
Susans mum lives in Upper Sherringham so thats where we stay

Holt is rather lovely IMO but otherwise Blakeney

I avoid Wroxham like the plague

Yes better biking around Northumberland than Norfolk

Whitby, surely? Bram Stoker/ Dracula , Captain Cook connections. Great fish teas! The place gets interesting during the annual Goth fest, apparently!

Or…. Go West, young man. Go west…

Dent is an easy step towards the coast around Morecambe Bay and into the Lakes and/or Pennines.

I've had a look at suggestions, it wil all depend on the forecast so could easily become West or south. Surprised at some of the campsites, £25 or more for a small tent, minimum 2 nights etc, a lot say no tents which is a strange campsite, should be called caravan parks.
Norfolk, from comments here, will depend then on how many days I have and where the weather takes me. I realised that I know Africa better than I know much of England so it's an opportunity to adjust that a little.

Whitby, surely? Bram Stoker/ Dracula , Captain Cook connections. Great fish teas! The place gets interesting during the annual Goth fest, apparently!

OR, just down the road to Robin Hood's Bay.

A number of pubs, restaurants and a chip hole. The morning views from this camp site are stunning - Fifteen minutes walk into the main town from the site.

https://www.hookshousefarm.co.uk/index.php

If you’re doing the east coast villages and still fancy a visit to Norfolk you could make a decent route by heading over the Humber Bridge, past Humberside airport, past Kirmington(Guy Martins pub), to Riby( kettle’s on if you want a brew) , over to Caistor(Georgian market town), over the Lincolnshire wolds not far from Caldwell Park to Horncastle ( good chippy here and 99% of the world’s antique shops),
Over towards Coningsby ( might see the RAF Typhoons spending our tax dollars as you’ll pass the end of the RAF Coningsby runway) there’s also the Aviation Heritage museum and Bubble Car museum in the area, down towards Langrick, Hubberts bridge, the main A17 towards King’s Lynn. Plenty of cafes on the A17, keep an eye out for the one with a fighter jet in the car park and also a big field gun keeping guard. The owner is (was) a biker and keeps his bikes in the cafe.
Once you reached KL the choice is yours to follow the coast or head into the central area.
Humber bridge to KL is about 2-3 hours. It’s mostly gentle rolling countryside and farmland with very little traffic… until you hit the Kings lynn area where it can get a bit busy at peak times and holiday season.

Robin Hood's Bay, Staithes, Runswick Bay - that whole area is worth visiting. Try the YHA at Boggle Hole. I love staying at YHAs, they are nothing like they were 50 years ago. I actively seek out the more remote ones. they are always in quaint buildings.

Back
Top Bottom