Anyone gone to a Guzzi V85

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of a demo on a Moto Guzzi V85. They appear to me to be like an 1150 GS for the modern day. A few online reviews say it’s under powered with only 80bhp, but my 1150 is only putting out similar figures whilst carrying more weight. Just wondered if anyone had gone to one of these modern air cooled bikes, and if so what do they think ?

There's a few of us on here who own, or have owned the V85TT. I have one, and love it! My brother borrowed it for a spin, and sold his Triumph Tiger 1050 to buy one.

Great handling, full of character, doddle to service, good MPG... It's my go-to bike for solo riding. My partner still prefers the GS, and if I am honest, 80bhp can be hard work "making progress" with a pillion (especially if you are used to the torque of a big GS pulling you out of corners and hurling you at the next bend!). It's a charming bike to own and ride. Mines coming up 16k miles now, and very pleased. I have owned an air-cooled GS, and I'm amazed there aren't more V85TT's on here.

My brother (62 years) has eyesight problems, and was also finding the weight of the Tiger 1050 a handful. He loves the relaxed nature of the V85TT and enjoys the reduced weight. No longer feels the need to ride fast everywhere. It may only be 20-30kg lighter but it feels like the gap is bigger...

Must admit I’ve found it strange that I’ve still to see a V85 out on the road. In fact I hadn’t seen one in the flesh til I went to Via Moto on Tuesday. Guzzi we’re even absent from the NEC when I went down in December. After seeing the bike I’m even more confused why more aren’t on the roads……..attention to detail and build quality looks impressive.

Not too far from you to Teasdales... Very good Guzzi dealer. They have a "Travel" as a demo bike ;)
The Travel has a Travel screen which you may or may not like...

After 12k miles on a V85 I'd pretty much endorse Martins assessment.

A really nice bike which, for me anyway, was let down by dreadful wind management which I was never able to improve. Any sort of screen [including OE], caused very severe wind noise and turbulence.

Other than that - top bike!

Badger, try and test both pre and post 2021 versions. Later ones had a some mapping changes and a slight HP increase. Personally I think the pre 2021 is a nicer bike to ride, but I may be biased cos that is what is in my garage.

Glad to see there are some owners out there :) Think I’d be looking at a 2021 bike to have the tubeless tyres. Never quite got the need for tubes for anything but out and out off road bikes :confused:.

Glad to see there are some owners out there :) Think I’d be looking at a 2021 bike to have the tubeless tyres. Never quite got the need for tubes for anything but out and out off road bikes :confused:.

Mine's tubed. The previous owner (who posted om here :)) did a DIY job on the rear wheel which is still working perfectly. I'm investigating doing the front before an upcoming Euro trip... (the thought of a nail in the tyre whilst chasing for a ferry is too big a threat, I would prefer tubeless). You can buy the new wheels to fit to an older bike (apparently a straight swap)... https://www.af1racing.com/oem-moto-guzzi-tubeless-front-wheel-for-19-21-v85-af1-2b007331

Don't worry about punctures in tubes carry this. Tubeless tyres were unheard of when I stared riding bikes. Never stopped me going places.

The can stuff if probably OK so long as the inner tube doesn't rip. My Enfield 650 Interceptor has tubed tyres, I put some green gloopy liquid ( I can't remember what it's called) in the tyre hoping to mitigate any rapid deflation.

Sorely tempted by one, just need to get off my lazy arse and organise a test ride. Very very happy with my Rockster, but I really do like the looks of the V85TT.

I test rode by the E4 and E5 versions before deciding on going for the 2021 model - the tubeless tyres, slightly more torque and better ride modes (sport mode is a real game changer) swung it for me.

I must have ridden tens of thousands of miles on tubed tyres over the years and never had a puncture. And only one puncture on a TL tyre! In the least populated part of this sceptred isle!

Don’t want this to become a tubes v tubeless debate guys, but thanks……some interesting views from current GS owners which is what I was hoping for. Largely positive feedback it seems despite the bikes modest numbers which is what I hoped :thumb2. Will definitely sort a demo.

Hi

I had a V85 and loved it. Handled well, had enough go for spirited riding but you needed to work the gears, always admired wherever I went, quite exclusive, great mechanics and not a problems in 1 yr and 10,000 miles……I just like to change so changed it. I still keep thinking of going back and will do

I saw this the other day https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384702672851?hash=item599210efd3:g:PsoAAOSw-vNh8wMX . This is 21 yr model with tubeless, is limited anniversary model, new price £11,400 so a great saving. Also if you buy from this dealer and have it serviced there you get free MOT and lifetime warranty……certainly a tempter

Regards. John

Hi

I had a V85 and loved it. Handled well, had enough go for spirited riding but you needed to work the gears, always admired wherever I went, quite exclusive, great mechanics and not a problems in 1 yr and 10,000 miles……I just like to change so changed it. I still keep thinking of going back and will do

I saw this the other day https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384702672851?hash=item599210efd3:g:PsoAAOSw-vNh8wMX . This is 21 yr model with tubeless, is limited anniversary model, new price £11,400 so a great saving. Also if you buy from this dealer and have it serviced there you get free MOT and lifetime warranty……certainly a tempter

Regards. John

Nah, this is the bestest deal ever as this one has all the useful extras, oh and be quick before I change my mind :thumb
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/565877-Moto-Guzzi-V85TT

Yes in fantastic colour like mine was

Attachments

• 7168927D-202A-418F-B92C-A9DC4CEA2BC7.jpg
    7168927D-202A-418F-B92C-A9DC4CEA2BC7.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 227

Back
Top Bottom