Registering a Domain name

daleslad

All round good guy
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Hope I’m posting this in the right place for some advice. I’d like to register/ buy a domain. Is it really as simple as going onto sites like ‘Go Daddy’ and buying a name? And where they ask for £1 for first year then £15 for every other year, can they put that price up so that it costs you far more when you’re into year 3,4,5 etc?
Also, does anyone have any advice/recommendations on website creation & hosting costs? It’s all brand new to me & im trying to avoid ‘schoolboy’ errors.
TIA…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Hope I’m posting this in the right place for some advice. I’d like to register/ buy a domain. Is it really as simple as going onto sites like ‘Go Daddy’ and buying a name? And where they ask for £1 for first year then £15 for every other year, can they put that price up so that it costs you far more when you’re into year 3,4,5 etc?
Also, does anyone have any advice/recommendations on website creation & hosting costs? It’s all brand new to me & im trying to avoid ‘schoolboy’ errors.
TIA…

There will be a 10 year option more than likely
Do that

I used these guys
https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting

They were Evo hosting back in 2016. I bought my domain through them. Renewal was £4.50 per year , it never changed.

I used them on a recommendation of a web photographer.

The key thing for me was their dashboard, it allowed me to customise my pages and site and was so simple to use as a newby. I used Wordpress ( free) to create the website, again faultless.

The current Go Daddy offerings are probably even easier to use as its 6 years on. If you can buddy upto or get advice from an active user I would do so, my photographer pal got me up and running in just one evening as he knew the Tsohost system and knew whick boxes to tick.

Lastly when you are up and running you need to run an SEO programme, search engine optimisation helps google etc find you and as long as you are not in a market dominated by majors will ensure you website is No1 when searching.

Good luck , its a low risk low cost venture.

Whoever you register it with make sure you have total control of the DNS settings and not just the domain name.

If you use something like www.ukreg.com you will have this.

Thanks Redrick Steve & Paul all very useful & food for thought. I appreciate your advice…

I use onlinenic for registering domains and have done for years, I then use a different company for hosting. I have changed hosts over the years mainly for price reasons, keeping the domain name management separate from the hosting to me is a good idea.

I use onlinenic for registering domains and have done for years, I then use a different company for hosting. I have changed hosts over the years mainly for price reasons, keeping the domain name management separate from the hosting to me is a good idea.

Cheers Richie…

Back
Top Bottom