Hard Ride

dredgetall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have recently started to use a 2011 GS1200 to take me to and from work but the ride is so hard, hitting a cats eye is like hitting a brick. I have pressed the ESA button and all settings are the same. The bike has only done 12000 miles

Check your tyre pressures??

(and are you using Michelin?)

S20 5G sent this......

Could be worth speaking to Denz0 on the forum about a suspension unit overhaul, he is in Croydon.

It's possible the damping is stuck in 'Sport' mode. And if it's only done 12k miles in 11yrs, a stuck damping screw/plunger is a good candidate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

normal - mine would kick 2 foot off line all day long - the bike can cope no worries, its just the rider that has to take 30% off the target speed and suffer and uncomfortable and unnecessary kicking

road tyres transform this terrible habit - but road tyres and a posh shock (not the budget joke they come with) will get you out front in moto GP

Rear Suspension

I am not sure if the spring is moving when I select the different modes (I will need to get checked as I am not hands on)

Second question has anyone managed to lift the standard seat height, I am 6’4” and need more height

Many thanks

You should notice height change when changing to what I call "Big Mountains" preload. The preload can only be set when the bike is stationary and running. Press and hold till it flashes.

As it happens "Big Mountains" is the setting I am currently using for road use on my 2008 with tired suspension.

I am not sure if the spring is moving when I select the different modes (I will need to get checked as I am not hands on)

Second question has anyone managed to lift the standard seat height, I am 6’4” and need more height

Many thanks
When you say 'modes', which are you referring to?

There are damping modes and the are preload modes. Visible height changes will only occur when you adjust preload, which can only be fine when you're stationary and have the engine running (book says to do it when the engine is running, not tried it's myself when it's off).

And the 'other' is.... ?

Soft

Its dead easy to tell if it's working, start the engine and bounce on the seat,

In Soft, the suspension is like a space hopper, you can see the front forks compressing

Normal the suspension compresses , but no where near as much

Hard, The suspension dosent move, its like hitting a brick wall,

back to soft and its like being on a pogo stick

If it stays on Hard, sounds like the electroniKy thing has stuck

Denzo will be yer man for that

the std tyres have little sidewall compliance, alongside budget suspension it kicks super hard of sharp sudden bumps, playing with settings can not help. its a feature of the bikes setup....
when I said mine would kick two foot off line I was being kind... ride hard the back will smash around all over the place much more than that... a road tyre will transform this from awful, to very good - allowing you to ride far faster, far more safely

Soft

Its dead easy to tell if it's working, start the engine and bounce on the seat,

In Soft, the suspension is like a space hopper, you can see the front forks compressing

Normal the suspension compresses , but no where near as much

Hard, The suspension dosent move, its like hitting a brick wall,

back to soft and its like being on a pogo stick

If it stays on Hard, sounds like the electroniKy thing has stuck

Denzo will be yer man for that
Don't have 'Soft'. I only have

'Comf',
'Norm'
'Sport'

Hence I asked what the 4th was!

Denz0 rebuilt both of mine two years ago and it transformed the bike. It all works as advertised and for little old me, I like it

Shock

I appears the seal has gone and the oil inside has gone ….. going for a refurbishment in Croydon

Good to hear you got it sorted, I'm gonna have to get the suspension on the bike I just bought checked out, like yours was it feels horrendous if you hit a wee pothole or God forbid a low drain cover.

Its fitted with Wilburs but seriously considering putting the standard units back on as the ride is so harsh.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom