XT - Mac - How do I delete routes on the XT using my Mac?

Wapping

Reaction score
My Mac can see my XT, in the sense that:

A. It appears in Garmin Express

B. It appears in BaseCamp, bringing its maps across etc

C. I can use Map Installer to load Open Street maps onto the XT and / or the SD in it

What I cannot fathom is how to access the XT so that I can go in to delete routes I no longer want. I am totally stuffed, not least as neither the device or the SD card in it appear as a drive on the desk top.

Thank you.

I always removed them from the XT directly.
Lemme have a look.

Thank you.

I can delete them in Trip Planner but they still remain in the part of the XT where you import routes into Trip Planer from. It there that I want to delete them from.

From Basecamp I can see the routes (and tracks, waypoints, etc.) on the XT and its memory card when connected via USB.

I can delete stuff from the memory card, but not from the internal memory on the XT (beeps if I select and hit delete).
I guess this will have something to do with Explore.

Ah ok – I see what you mean.
No idea. Mine is full of old crap routes too.

Explore doesn't help.
See here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=925

I've found I have problems deleting routes that have bee imported to trip planner.
i would delete them and they would be there ready to import again.
If you connect your XT to the PC and look at the files on it. There is one in the GPX directory called temp cache or something like that. I found deleting it gets rid of unwanted routes.
The only other way was formatting the SD card. Which is annoying as it means losing all my music. (Did it in Spain a couple of weeks ago. Had to ride 1000 mile day with no music)

I have a few routes on the internal memory, a few on the SD.

If I scroll down the list in Basecamp that shows my Zumo's maps, it lists the Zumo internal memory and also the SD card. My imports are on a folder on the SD card and I can manipulate them via Basecamp.

Of course, I am using a Windows laptop and a Zumo 390, but I cannot see why it should be any different for the XT on that pile of i-shit you insist on using :p

I can manipulate the SD.
Check if you can delete the routes from the Zumo's internal memory.

Ok ignore that – I re-read your message.

but I cannot see why it should be any different for the XT

I don't think the 390 is running on the same (Android) OS that the Zumo is on.

Thank you, er-minio, we are on the same page.

My old Nav IV, V and VI used to just pop up on my Mac’s desk top as drives. I, who hesitate about deleting anything, could just go into the drives, select the folder that holds the routes, select the routes and delete them. I can’t find the XT as a drive anywhere on my Mac but it must be there as BaseCamp and Garmin Express can both see it.

I thought that it might be as simple as deleting the routes in Trip Planner, then connecting the XT to my Mac and letting Express and / or BaseCamp find it. Then disconnecting the device and hope that they had gone. That was a method that used to work on much earlier devices. But something that simple doesn’t work.

I agree, there seems to be nothing on the internet about it, other than some bod with a Mac, who connected his XT to a PC, where the device simply popped up as a drive, along with all its folders. I am not going to buy a PC just to delete routes. There must be a simple way, somehow, somewhere. I can’t be the first person in the world to wonder how to do it, surely?

I thought that it might be as simple as deleting the routes in Trip Planner, then connecting the XT to my Mac and letting Express and / or BaseCamp find it. Then disconnecting the device and hope that they had gone. But they stay there.

Yep. This is not possible because Garmin "forgot" to implement the feature.
No comment on this.

My old Nav IV, V and VI used to just pop up on my desk top as drives. I, who hesitate about deleting anything, could just go into the drives, select the folder that holds the routes, select the routes and delete them. I can’t find the XT as a drive anywhere on my Mac but it must be there as BaseCamp and Garmin Express can both see it.

Yes. This is by design.
The XT uses an MTP data transfer protocol. In english: it is not designed to be mounted as a volume.

The new GoPros have a similar behaviour.

You are essentially forced to go through their software.

MacOs has limited MTP functionality "as is" (essentially the Image Capture utility). But you can still go through the content on your XT using file transfer apps. Some people use Android File Transfer. I suggest against it as it is a pile of shit (it is intended for software developers) and auto-starts without asking permissions and hijacks Android devices.
I bought a license of CommanderOne that I use, when needed, to go and roam inside the XT's internal memory.

Of course if Garmin kept the development of Basecamp alive, this would have been as easy as select those damn routes and hitting delete on the keyboard :D
Again, no comment.

But at the end of all this... Garmin has to fix this or implement a feature to remove that data from the device directly.
Because another byproduct of this is: you can reimport the same routes over and over and end up with a lot of duplicates.

Thank you.

I will contact Garmin to see what they have to say. In the meantime, I can borrow a PC from work and hope that it sees the XT’s drives.

The safety net, when it was introduced, of being able to re-import a deleted route made perfect sense, as it saved bods who deleted routes by mistake. It also meant that you could muck around with an active route and still have a virgin copy held in reserve. But getting rid of the whole of the route by connecting to a home computer was also easy. This latest thing just makes no sense, not least as it would be so easy to have a pop-up window to say: “You numpty, are you SURE you want to delete this route permanently, yes or no?”…… or is that too simple?

Please don’t tell me that Garmin now expect us XT owners to do a hard reset, just to delete old routes?

Let me know what Garmin says. But from experience they will tell you some bullshit excuse. Sadly.

I might have found the file to be deleted.

This latest thing just makes no sense, not least as it would be so easy to have a pop-up window to say: “You numpty, are you SURE you want to delete this route permanently, yes or no?”…… or is that too simple?

No. This would make perfect sense. Or at least let me delete stuff from Basecamp.

Please don’t tell me that Garmin now expect us XT owners to do a hard reset, just to delete old routes?

I hope they have these features on the roadmap, and they are just incredibly late in shipping all this.

Anyway, I found the cache files to be deleted to remove the routes from the "Import" screen.
It seems that the Zumo creates different cache files according to what method you used to import the route.

Files sent via BaseCamp are stored into GPX/GaminExpressImport

After deleting that one, I still had one route available in the import screen. It was the route I did with the TET guys some time ago, and I beamed that from the iPhone to the Zumo directly while at the meeting point.
So... realised that: files sent from the phone are stored into GPX/shared_from_phone_DATE

Deleted that and all disappeared.

If you also imported something from your SD you will have to delete those from the SD as well.

See below:

zumo-caches.gif

I think I'll start utilising the SD card uniquely to store BirdsEye data, no waypoints, tracks, and routes anymore.

Re-reading my late night messages now :D
TET guys = TRF.

I need to sleep more :)

No. This would make perfect sense…..

I think I'll start utilising the SD card uniquely to store BirdsEye data, no waypoints, tracks, and routes anymore.

Thanks for the post #12.

Could you be an absolute star and do a simple, stage by stage’ screen shot on how to do this on a Mac, please. Just accept that I am a complete numpty and can’t even find the XT as a drive on my Mac, so starting there would be fantastic. Something as simple as Janet and John…..

Many thanks.

PS As you say, the section of the XT becomes crammed with the names of old routes which, unless you originally gave them a very clear name and possibly a date, become impossible to remember. It’s good that the device will hold deleted routes, as will rescue anyone who deletes a route by mistake. But having the device potentially saving 100’s is pointless.

Sure. I’ll do a little “guide”.
I’ll post it later today.

Ho to delete cached route files from the Zumo XT, in order to prevent them to appear again and again in the "Import" screen, with a Mac.
For this example we are assuming the files are transferred usually transferred to the XT from Basecamp, using the USB connection.

Software.
You will need a file transfer application to move or edit data on the Zumo or any other device that uses the MTP protocol.
I use Commander One (paid). There are several options, including Android File transfer that is free (but a bit crap).
For a one off, you can use CommanderOne in demo mode.

Step 1
Close Basecamp, Express, or any other app that connects to the XT. The XT can manage one connection per app at a time.
Open Commander One.

step01.png

The interface is a double panel one (commonly used in FTP or file transfer apps). Just ignore most of it :D
You'll need to look at one half of the window, ignore the rest.
By default you should be seeing the contents of your Mac's home folder.
Do nothing so far.

Step 2
Connect the XT via USB and wait a bit. In my case the XT sort of reboots (quickly) when establishing the connection.
After a minute or so, you will see this dialogue window in Commander One confirming that it is connecting to the MPT device (and thus, excluding any other apps)*.

step02.png

Step 3.
From the drop down menu on the top left corner, select the XT from the list of volumes.
You will be now looking at the contents of the device.
You can do the same from the buttons just above (you can see the XT as the last icon of the list, slightly on the right).

step03.png

Step 4
Navigate to Internal Storage.

step04.png

Step 5
Navigate to the GPX folder.

step05.png

Step 6
Inside the GPX folder there is a few other directories and a few files.
Delete temp* (right click > select delete file).

step06.png

When Commander One finished deleting (will take a few seconds and a small progress window will appear in the meantime), select quit. Disconnect the XT from the Mac.

Step 7

Sit back and enjoy the feeling of victory. :)

*one of the reasons I don't like Android File transfer is that it automatically launches when you start your Mac and it overrides the connection of every MTP device you connect, interfering with other software. It was a bit of a pain to prevent it from auto-launching in my case, but admittedly this was some time ago. Maybe it has been updated in the meantime. No idea.

**temp is the file created while transferring files from Basecamp (I added two routes to the XT before writing this and ensured they disappeared after deleting temp).
As per my previous example, these routes can be kept in different files according to which method was used to transfer them on the XT.
The other options I encountered are: GaminExpressImport and shared_from_phone_DATE

Just to be clear: this is a bit of a hack/temporary way of solving this. Garmin should really implement a clear procedure to clear the "import buffer". Unless it already exist and no one of us figured out how.

An excellent and clear explanation. Many thanks.

I’ll give it a go.

I agree, Garmin should make it easy for Mac users to delete old unwanted trips. I, who know nothing about the internal working of files or a computer, used to find it really easy. I used to clear them out from time to time and definitely before I sold a device on the forum.

I worked my way through er-minio’s instructions. After stopping Garmin Express launching every time I connect a device (set the preference through the little triangle at the top of the screen, where the clock lives) it went OK, helped that I just waited patiently.

I cleared out all the routes (mine were hiding in shared_from_phone_DATE) bar one. The one I am left with I couldn’t find easily. I am always very reluctant to delete things or fiddle about, without knowing what I am doing, so I just left it. I suspect it is one or more of three rows that have a little Garmin BaseCamp icons against them but I lacked the confidence to delete them.

It makes sense to me that they lived in shared_from_phone_DATE as I had imported them from my the Garmin Drive app on my phone.

Two questions, please:

1. If I am not in BaseCamp, what is the best way to eject my XT and how do I do it? Screen shots would be handy as I don’t follow all the lingo. Or do I just unplug it?

2. I have Commander One fully installed 3.

On my desk top I now see:

i. This message 1. What should I do about it?

ii. Commander One appearing 2. Should it? If not, how do I get rid of it, or shouldn’t I?

b3af55819f6348f0256876fb65305a97.jpg

Many thank for all the assistance, much appreciated.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom