Self-cancelling indicator issue - 2108 GS Rallye

mrklunk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks.

My bike was in for a service today and I asked them for the 4th or 5th time to adjust the self-canceling indicators which basically take about half an hour to cancel. They said they'd fixed it and tested it, (same last time), but they are exactly the same. Obviously dangerous; turn left out of the dealer, ride 500 meters up the road pass two left turns and they're still flashing. I reckon they stay on for 30 seconds. Worked perfectly on my F750GS and loan bikes I've had. Why can't they fix it? Any ideas? I've had the bike for a year and cancel manually but it would be good of they worked as intended.

Cheers

never did understand the problem with self cancelling indicators staying on for a while? they are a fallback in case you forget to cancel them, they don't magically absolve you from responsibility to control your own destiny, just cancel them when you are finished with them !

never did understand the problem with self cancelling indicators staying on for a while? they are a fallback in case you forget to cancel them, they don't magically absolve you from responsibility to control your own destiny, just cancel them when you are finished with them !

That's my understanding too. The BMW system seems extremely basic, so is clearly just a fall-back, nothing to do with lean or steering angle.

Standard I think it's set at around 10 seconds or 300 meters, just in case the rider forgets.

That's my understanding too. The BMW system seems extremely basic, so is clearly just a fall-back, nothing to do with lean or steering angle.

Standard I think it's set at around 10 seconds or 300 meters, just in case the rider forgets.

I can make the ones on mine cancel through lean angle.

I agree with that completely. My GS is 11 months old and on next service I will ask if they can extend time/distance for them to stay on because sometimes they cancel before I need them off. As for the rest, I always turn them off myself and never wait for self canceling. As I said, sometimes they don't stay on long enough.

I’m obviously missing something complicated here, if you manually activate the indicators when intending to turn etc, is it not just as simple to manually cancel the indicators when you’ve completed the manoeuvre?

Maybe I have a special 2021 R1250 GS Adventure TE which follows its preordained program as detailed in the manual page 72/73 to wit:

Push (indicator) button to the left to switch on the left turn indicators.
Push button to the right to switch on the right turn indicators.
Centre button to cancel the turn indicators.

Comfort turn indicator
If button has been pressed to the right or left, the turn indicators are automatically switched off under the following circumstances:

Speed below 30 km/h: after 50 m distance covered. Speed between 30 km/h and 100 km/h: after a speed-dependent distance covered or in case of acceleration. Speed over 100 km/h: after flashing five times.

If button is pressed to the right or left slightly longer, the turn indicators only switch off automatically once the speed- dependent distance covered is reached.

I agree with that completely. My GS is 11 months old and on next service I will ask if they can extend time/distance for them to stay on because sometimes they cancel before I need them off. As for the rest, I always turn them off myself and never wait for self canceling. As I said, sometimes they don't stay on long enough.

Hi, I found that if you hold the indicator button as required for a second or two longer than you probably do now the indicators stay on almost indefinitely thus solving your problem. I find this very useful on the motorway above 100 Km/h (60 Mph) manually cancelling as needed, as opposed to the system cancelling after 5 flashes which, I understand it is programed to do. Page 73 in my manual.....

Hi, I found that if you hold the indicator button as required for a second or two longer than you probably do now the indicators stay on almost indefinitely thus solving your problem. I find this very useful on the motorway above 100 Km/h (60 Mph) manually cancelling as needed, as opposed to the system cancelling after 5 flashes which, I understand it is programed to do. Page 73 in my manual.....
I use "longer press" but the problem is that after 40 years of biking this is my first bike with that option and it's a bit hard to remember to do that on motorway when you have such a long muscle memory without "longer press".

I use "longer press" but the problem is that after 40 years of biking this is my first bike with that option and it's a bit hard to remember to do that on motorway when you have such a long muscle memory without "longer press".

I'm an old bugger and got there in the end. Old dogs can learn new tricks :beerjug:

I'm still trying to indicate right with my right thumb :jager

Hi guys. We're testing the configuration of a lot of the features discussed here over at Hex.

Classical auto cancellation: Typically this is after 10s and 300m has passed (can be extended to 20s and 500m by dealer). Very difficult to get a feel for it as both criteria have to be met and highway vs neighborhood driving speeds give a very different feel to the feature.
We're decoupling the time and distance criteria and allowing users to input any value (not just pre-sets). Best is to experiment with a time setting that gives the preferred highway off-ramp cancellation, and then to add a short(ish) distance criteria to stop the timeout from cancelling when stationary at a traffic light.

Comfort indicators: This is the modern one with the weird "if-this-then-that-but-sometimes-not" description in the manual. If you disable this you can configure classical cancellation.
I see a lot of comments about using the long press feature to activate indicators without the acceleration cancellation, but not liking the time required to activate a long press. We exposed this configuration allowing you to customise it all the way down until the duration is so short that every press is a long press. We might look into configuring the three different speed ranges, and even tweaking the acceleration detection parameters.

Lean angle based cancellation: We do not have a bike with a body controller that supports this at our disposal. Does it work in conjunction with time/distance based cancellation or overrides the others and acts as the only method? @PitaNaanRoti can maybe shed some light. We also have this exposed in our latest beta release even though we were not able to test it.
Lot's of talk just to say a lot of testing is going on at Hex! Anyone with a GS-911 that wants to have a look at these features and become a beta testing please reach out!

Hi guys. We're testing the configuration of a lot of the features discussed here over at Hex.

Classical auto cancellation: Typically this is after 10s and 300m has passed (can be extended to 20s and 500m by dealer). Very difficult to get a feel for it as both criteria have to be met and highway vs neighborhood driving speeds give a very different feel to the feature.
We're decoupling the time and distance criteria and allowing users to input any value (not just pre-sets). Best is to experiment with a time setting that gives the preferred highway off-ramp cancellation, and then to add a short(ish) distance criteria to stop the timeout from cancelling when stationary at a traffic light.

Comfort indicators: This is the modern one with the weird "if-this-then-that-but-sometimes-not" description in the manual. If you disable this you can configure classical cancellation.
I see a lot of comments about using the long press feature to activate indicators without the acceleration cancellation, but not liking the time required to activate a long press. We exposed this configuration allowing you to customise it all the way down until the duration is so short that every press is a long press. We might look into configuring the three different speed ranges, and even tweaking the acceleration detection parameters.

Lean angle based cancellation: We do not have a bike with a body controller that supports this at our disposal. Does it work in conjunction with time/distance based cancellation or overrides the others and acts as the only method? @PitaNaanRoti can maybe shed some light. We also have this exposed in our latest beta release even though we were not able to test it.
Lot's of talk just to say a lot of testing is going on at Hex! Anyone with a GS-911 that wants to have a look at these features and become a beta testing please reach out!
I’ll have a look as there’s a few bits that need doing in mine atm.
What would be good to implement is the rear light modifications that are being talked about in another thread.
As an example, 130+ miles unclassified/off road ride yesterday and a rear indicator got broken by a snapped branch. This meant that on the road ride back there were no rear lights at all other than the single, central brake light when in use. Being able to configure it so the main light is on independently would and could actually be a literal lifesaving modification. No point having the GS-911 and buying a separate module to have to plug inline.

Back
Top Bottom