Clutch push rod condition? Ahead of new slave cylinder replacement

Stan H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
From (pic) does the condition of the end of this clutch pushrod look right for a 2007 GS with 36k miles?

Without another to compare it to, I'm not sure if the end is deformed or not? But does seem to have a distinct burr toward the tip and another on the edge of the main shaft section?
After failure I need to replace the slave cylinder (new unit), so want to ensure everything fits together (new and old) as it should.

I'm wondering if the pushrod is reusable, after perhaps dremeling off the burrs? or should it be replaced too?

Background....

While riding yesterday I had a sudden loss of clutch action 'totally solid lever'.

After a quick check of the bike.. I found the slave cylinder was hanging off at an angle, and only held by one bolt (pic). The other bolt probably fell off about a mile before, I'd heard a weird metallic ping, guessing it got picked up by the tyre and hit the swing arm.... :blast

From parts invoices it looks like the bike had a 'diy' clutch replacement at about 27k by a previous owner. No info on why... current miles 36K.

The slave mounting bolt seems to have simply backed out.... The threads on both slave mounting holes are in perfect condition, I've lightly ran in a tap and bolts to check :thumb2

I've also rotated the pushrod and can't see any obvious bend or deflection.

Wish I'd spotted the loose bolt before spending 7 hrs waiting for 'priority recovery' to turn up, it was bitter with the windchill in the middle of nowhere :mmmm

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_496d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_496d.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 215
  • fullsizeoutput_496c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_496c.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 206
  • fullsizeoutput_496e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_496e.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 205
I recently fitted a new pushrod to mine as part of my rebuild but the old rod was near perfect, just a few polishing marks on it. I think it was about £40 for the new one.

Yours looks a bit 'damaged' at the tip in comparison to mine.

Usually its no bother to order one from BMW but if you get any dramas with the supply chain drop me a line and I'll fish out my old one.

Cheers both much appreciated :thumb2

I was on the side of if in doubt, there is no doubt so will 100% be replacing it. Thanks for the offer Pukmeister, I'll be in touch if I get any hold up's, I need the bike back on the road asap..

Back
Top Bottom