Off road and normal use GPS

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I now have the connect app and my iPhone mounted on my GS now. As most know the connect app is a no go for off road use. But I want to still use it as it's ideal for when on the road and charging the phone when I'm using it as a trip meter when rallying. My bike uses flexxbars and my roadbook mounts on them so I would have to come up with another mounting bracket but I can fabricate that at work no problem. So for following off road routes and creating tracks what should I go for? The three units that spring to mind are all from garmin, Montana 700 the XT and the etrex 32. I think all have pros and cons. Whether it be price, size or ease of use.

It really will boil down to personal choice, but I'd go Montana 700 every time.

I already owned an inreach mini, so went XT for less than half the price of the Montana (which if buying would get an inReach capable unit for the sake of the extra ££'s), but i would say it ranks as the best current unit for the use intended.

I own both the new XT & an old Montana 600 series. Whilst the XT has a fantastic screen, it will not run Ordnance Survey (OS) maps, however, it will run OSM Open Street Maps. Personally I think the XT is not really rugged enough for full on off road use, the mount especially seems very light weight.

The old Montana series is very rugged, good firm mount & will run ordnance survey maps. They can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay, whilst the new Montana 700 series is close to £500!

I own both the new XT & an old Montana 600 series. Whilst the XT has a fantastic screen, it will not run Ordnance Survey (OS) maps, however, it will run OSM Open Street Maps. Personally I think the XT is not really rugged enough for full on off road use, the mount especially seems very light weight.

The old Montana series is very rugged, good firm mount & will run ordnance survey maps. They can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay, whilst the new Montana 700 series is close to £500!

I've used 600 and 650 Montanas using OS maps for around 7 years or more with no problems, although it's a bit slow with OS.
Probably one of the best units I've used and tough as old boots.

I agree with this. I use a Montana 700 for off road/dual sport use, because the unit and the mount is more rugged, it runs OS maps, the "I" version has the inreach module, and it's better at handling tracks.

I use the XT for primarily road use. It's easy to use and has a good screen. I don't think it's rugged enough for off road - by which I mean single track. It doesn't run OS maps, but does take maps like the Talky Toaster OSM maps.

The Montana 6xx units are still very good. The screen is not as good as the new models but the mounts are cheap and there are lots of maps available including OS maps.

I doubt if the screen on the etrex would lend itself to use for motorcycling, and I'm not even sure it has a powered bike mount.

Yeah, I had a 600 for years then like a twat sold it. May see if I can find an early model that runs all the maps.

Does the 700 have Bluetooth voice directions, that was one thing the 600never had?

Back
Top Bottom