Long shot! Ireland to Dent in a four wheeler? Anyone going?

landmarkjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bernie and I are touring Spain on the bike for a couple of weeks in May.

We are routing to Spain land bridge the UK on 5th May Rosslare to Fishguard and onto Plymouth and then back into the UK Portsmouth for Dent weekend then home.

We don't want to drag the camping gear (two drybags) around Spain for two weeks so if there was anyone in Ireland heading for Dent....?:D:D

Or any better ideas?

Overlanders.
https://www.overlanders.ie/course_category/self-guided-tour/

Bike arrives in Spain. You fly out on Vomitair and pick it up, Reverse to come home.
No landbridge, no riding through the anthill getting your photo taken, no sitting in a ferry terminal for days,
No motorways, no peage,
and your holiday in Spain is extended by 8 days on the same trip
And, no dearer overall.

Overlanders.
https://www.overlanders.ie/course_category/self-guided-tour/

Bike arrives in Spain. You fly out on Vomitair and pick it up, Reverse to come home.
No landbridge, no riding through the anthill getting your photo taken, no sitting in a ferry terminal for days,
No motorways, no peage,
and your holiday in Spain is extended by 8 days on the same trip
And, no dearer overall.

... and THAT is how you get your camping gear to Dent ! ( or did I miss something ? ............. I'll bet as well, you booked the boat ages ago !!)

:D Yes the boat is booked.

I see Overlanders a great option for folks that are time poor. But for me the holiday starts as soon as the bike is loaded and I pull off the drive. I look forward to the ride across Ireland and then a farmhouse B+B near Rosslare (couple bottles of Bud in the top box if I fancy it).

07:30 Ferry to Fishguard and then 4 hours or so around to Plymouth for a 19:30 sailing. I don't mind the odd jaunt around the UK to see what's going on and I would prefer to be on a motorbike on a UK motorway than a Ryanair flight.

The two nights on board the Salamanca down to Spain we treat as a mini cruise, more beers the first night than the second and then we dock at 08:00 and off to Hotel del Oso and so on...

Anyway, about my camping gear?:D:D

:
Anyway, about my camping gear?:D:D

An option if you think it's worth your while. If you cover my fuel from Bradford to Dent (return), a distance of approximately 120 miles, so about 3 gallons I'll happily collect your camping gear in the car from Margaret I believe she's called after you've left and then forward it to you when you arrive back home. You could sort out collection via courier from my address when you arrive back home at your leisure. Just an option?

Thanks for your kind offer Wes but it's more about getting the gear to Dent instead of bringing it around Spain for two weeks.

Getting the gear back from Dent is not so much of an issue.

My apologies I thought you were doing Dent and then Spain but you're doing it the other way round! I should learn to read posts more thoroughly. :blast

Thanks for your kind offer Wes but it's more about getting the gear to Dent instead of bringing it around Spain for two weeks.

Getting the gear back from Dent is not so much of an issue.

Well i am booked to go. Maybe i could bring it ? Post it to me.

Thanks for the ideas. These are the bags we are trying to off load. We drag them around the continent but never use them out there. They are a bit uncomfortable for Bernie, it's not me at all, I don't mind hauling them in and out of hotels. :augie

We only like camping in Blighty were there's a better chance of rain (really I shouldn't put the mockers on it, we had glorious weather on our only camping trip to Dent in 2018)

Attachments

• 4D670620-DF42-4D07-9C4B-7EACFBFAEB87.jpg
    4D670620-DF42-4D07-9C4B-7EACFBFAEB87.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 238
Book one of the pubs or a local air b&b at Dent.

Is there a railway station OR Locker storage outfit En route ??

Drop them off

Inform Storage outfit that you will be back for the stuff in X days IN case they call it in as a Bomb or something

I live less than 10 miles from Dent. I,m not sure if I’m doing dent this year but if you post them to me I’ll happily look after them and you can either collect from me or I’ll get them to dent for you.

I live less than 10 miles from Dent. I,m not sure if I’m doing dent this year but if you post them to me I’ll happily look after them and you can either collect from me or I’ll get them to dent for you.

Good stuff Paul and thanks to all. I have a couple of options now and will leave it until end of April before committing.:thumby:

Further suggestions welcome.

I live 20 mins from J27 of M5 which you'll be following to Plymouth. You're welcome to leave stuff here and there might be someone going to Dent from the SW.

Back
Top Bottom