KTM 1090 Adventure. Opinions sought.

cornish

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, after hiring one in the canaries a couple of years ago, that I really liked, I've got it in mind to sell/swap my R1200rs se and get a 1090.

I am slightly reluctant to part with my rs because it is a great bike and has been super reliable and trouble free, but I've had it a while and well, you know...

So, having no experience myself of owning ktm's, could any one give me any pointers on particular issues, things to look for etc on say a 2018 1090?

Also I've just posted a wanted add. You never know.... Cheers.

The 1090 is one of the few KTMs I’ve not owned, so can’t help you directly.
All I know is I always seem to read that they are a VERY underrated bike.
If you see a good one at a good price then I’d go for it.

I had one for 18 months, brilliant bike. Was just a tad tall for me but that’s my problem!

Great all round and was sorry I sold it for a long time. Great power and comfort and simpler than the 1290. A seriously fun bike.

I did suspect a warped disc when I was moving it on but the dealer would have been sorting that.

Great for accessories because most things fro the 1050 and the 1190 fit it so plenty stuff around.

Cheers. there seem to be a lot more 'R's around than the standard Adventure. I think the r is even taller and with the bigger front wheel I cant see it handling as well on the road. Though I do like the look of it.........

Von Stolberg of this parish has one and loves it. We've done loads of trips / tours together and the 1090 has always behaved, is quick and handles really well. I'd say it's perhaps underated and overlooked in favour of the bigger twins and POWAAAHHHH! but personally I think it hits a bit of a sweet spot.

Was his up for sale/sold last year........?

Not his, I think you'd have to pry his out of a set of cold dead clammy mitts :) He tested a 1290 last year iirc, but I don't think he could see the real need for a change and kept the 1090. All the trips we've done it's been a fantastic bike and the only minor glitch I recall is an EML coming on in Slovenia after a truly biblical rain storm. Squirt of WD40, turn it on again, light gone and never reappeared.

Was his up for sale/sold last year........?

Absolutely not! :D I love mine, and I'll be running mine for years to come.

A has been said... they are incredibly under-rated bike which makes them a real bargain.
They stem from a well developed design that has evolved through the 950/990 SM, ADV, SMT etc, and the 1050/1190, on their way to the 1290. The 1050 was a restricted Bhp model that is best avoided (unless budget dictates) and the 1190 has the full 150bhp ;). Having said that the 1090 has 125bhp and is no slouch. Mine's passed several sports bikes who never expected a top-box to pass them so rudely :banana

Downside: The Cat's on these are set in the exhaust downpipe collector box. (on previous 990's etc the cats were easily replaced as they were in the cans themselves) and the cats run BLOODY HOT!!! so much so that your inner thigh's and calf will be noticeably affected by the radiated heat. On warm days in Alpine hoonery the heat can become annoyingly distracting. I sorted mine out with some quality ebay side panels that fit nicely within the frame and existing bodywork to keep the heat away from me. This winter I had fitted a second hand pipe that seems to have been opened up and then re-welded (for some reason ;)) which should dramaticaly improve that issue now.

Unlike previous models, the WP suspension front & rear is very limited in adjusters, and has been set up in a one-size fits all profile. The settings are good, but having had the benefit of adjusting everything going on previous WP's i do miss the additional precision this provided.

I bought mine from the highly recommended Premier Bikes in Oxford :okay, and it came pre-owned, with loads of Powerparts Bling already fitted, but not the optional centre stand :doh Its true to say that KTM's are excellent bikes, but the number and variable quality of their Dealer Network can change that for you drastically, depending on where you are in UK.

Recently I tested a brand new 1290, and came to the conclusion that it was nice, but not Five Grand's worth more nice than my existing 1090.

I dont have a 1090-R, which are the most common 21" wheel Enduro-stylee version, mines the straight 1090 which has 19" TUBELESS cast wheels, far more suitable for Autobahn's and Alpine passes. I dont take mine off-road, its far too heavy for my skill level, but she'll easily handle gravel tracks, forest tracks etc, on decent tyres. I binned the O/E Metzeler's and switched across to Michelin Anakee Adventures, which do everything well, and right to the edge !

Get the Orange & Black colour scheme, and you'll be constantly complimented by passing folk on your handsome steed :bow
Get the Powerparts Ergo seat rather than the austrian granite original and you'll spend far less time in lay-by's rubbing your arse whilst passer-by's tell you how handsome the bike is , and how they once had an uncle with a NSU ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5XKIxfM8gg

Good point about the seat, I put in the power parts seats but made it a bit too tall so I got an r seat on my standard s and it worked great. Slightly narrower and more comfortable.

Personally though, I think if I ever got one again I would get the r. Although the suspension on the s was fine, I think the r suspension is a better package all around. I would need a proper low seat though.
The 19 inch wheel handled great, bit the 21 should be just as good with that suspension.

I changed from a 1200gs to the 1090, and the gs wouldn’t be able to live with the Ktm as far as power and power delivery go. Better power to weight ratio and a chain drive. It’s rapid.

I miss it.

Had a 790 in the meantime and didn’t suit me at all.

Attachments

• 7E4115F7-A3D8-4E09-B2CF-8A0B85C4AA87.jpg
    7E4115F7-A3D8-4E09-B2CF-8A0B85C4AA87.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 299
See, Handsome innit ! :D

Leo Vince Nero on mine too .

You are obviously a man of fine taste ;)

I love the look of the r's, but I've convinced myself it won't handle as well + lack of choice on the front tyres as I understand it. I blasted round Gran Canaria for 5 days on the standard and it really suited me. I found the suspension fine, perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough ! Also didn't notice any particular heat issues or if I did I've forgot! I'm looking seriously for one now. Thnx guys.

Good point about the seat, I put in the power parts seats but made it a bit too tall so I got an r seat on my standard s and it worked great. Slightly narrower and more comfortable.

Personally though, I think if I ever got one again I would get the r. Although the suspension on the s was fine, I think the r suspension is a better package all around. I would need a proper low seat though.
The 19 inch wheel handled great, bit the 21 should be just as good with that suspension.

I changed from a 1200gs to the 1090, and the gs wouldn’t be able to live with the Ktm as far as power and power delivery go. Better power to weight ratio and a chain drive. It’s rapid.

The R has better suspension and is a fine road bike. Nobody complains about the Africa Twin which only comes on 21/18" wheels :nenau

It also looks miles better. IMO the only issue might be seat height?

The R has better suspension and is a fine road bike. Nobody complains about the Africa Twin which only comes on 21/18" wheels :nenau

It also looks miles better. IMO the only issue might be seat height?

The R is a very good road bike and I didn't find it overly high when compared to my Husky FE350 for example.
IIRC - you can also adjust the seat height if you get the split ones rather than the one piece.

the split seat will only adjust the seat height upwards, as it is thicker than the one piece that sits in the low position only anyway.

I have owned an 1190 / 1090 at teh same time and an 1190 / 120 at the same time - all S Models.

The 1090S was a good bike, and IMHO the best handling, despite lack of adjustment / electronics it just seemed really well setup - particularly the front (which is very soft on the 1190) so it felt really planted and still handled bumps well - I would say on par with the 1290S I have now for confidence.

As a lower power 1290 lump it is probably bullet-proof as event he more powerful 1190 / 1290 engines hold together very well, and it has way less tech to go wrong.

Power wise it has enough - but alongside even the 1190 it felt very weedy in the mid range, but I would imagine it is every bit as strong or stronger than your current steed across the rev range, and I would imagine carries a bit less weight.

The chassis is put 1190 / 1290 and built to a good standard, the only exception is the bodywork with really cheap paintwork compared to the 1190 / 1290 - no thick lacquer and it can mark very easily.

I personally would look for a very clean 1190 or find the extra cash for the 1290 (which has CC - sadly lacking on 1090 / 1190)....

...Unless your on about the Offroad Focused R model in which case I believe the 1090 is a really good compromise between road and dirt ability.

+1 on the 1190 - I had one, the build quality is fantastic, really engaging to ride and with the comfort seat I found it all day comfortable.

Thanks but my mind is set on the 1090. I've been offered a semi sensible price for my RS subject to a diagnostic test. (?!) So once I can get it over to them I'll be in a position to pick the one I like. :okay

I love the look of the r's, but I've convinced myself it won't handle as well + lack of choice on the front tyres as I understand it. I blasted round Gran Canaria for 5 days on the standard and it really suited me. I found the suspension fine, perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough ! Also didn't notice any particular heat issues or if I did I've forgot! I'm looking seriously for one now. Thnx guys.

You just like to say ‘R’ , don’t you !!!

Back
Top Bottom